Is it worth it?

35years

Gravy route
Just a note on insurance...

My wife went through cancer, infections, procedures etc....

$250,000 in medical bills. We paid $200.

Her hormone meds to treat cancer cost over $300 per refill, we pay $9.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Is Ag something you got into or were born into? If you were born into it, I'd stay. Putting in 60 hours a week doing something that is in your blood will feel less like working and be more satisfying than working 40 hours at something you hate or at best just tolerate.

I grew up farming. It's been 25 years since I've set foot on a farm, but I miss it just about everyday.

quad decade guy

Yeah I know him he is jacked and runs half marathons on Sunday mornings. I told him if he waited until 30 to apply then he could retire right at 60 instead of working here for 40 years.
Well, I'm not 60(58) either. Been here 40 years though. He will have worked for 40 years also.....probably like you will.....just not all at UPS.
And yes, working somewhere else for 10,15,20 years counts in the total. That seems to get lost in the abuse and hate.

Btw, as hateful as you are.....I'm quite proud of my accomplishments....and the more abusive jealousy that is spewed....makes me know I'm tracking well.

Btw, as belittled as I am.....by jealous BC'ers......I'm sure sitting fat on retirement, vacation and pay.....year after year after year......enjoying the fruits of my labor. Very satisfying.

quad decade guy

Just a note on insurance...

My wife went through cancer, infections, procedures etc....

$250,000 in medical bills. We paid $200.

Her hormone meds to treat cancer cost over $300 per refill, we pay $9.
Amen. My wife just finished a years worth (every 3 weeks) of $15,000(each one) chemo treatments. i just picked up my refills this morning....$5 total. For all.

Was not born into it. I'm a licensed commercial ground Applicator so I do custom spraying for multiple farmers. From now til we get busy again I will spray some, but this time of year I'll be at the shop 50 hrs a week and there is only so much pushing a broom, washing and waxing, and greasing a guy can take.
I really enjoyed the beer route I had even though the company was poorly managed. They sold out, I lost my job went to ice company the next day. Left there and got this job because the ice company was family owned and would not give me insurance.

BrownSnowFlake

If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now.
Unless you are willing and able to move closer to the hub I wouldn't advise it. I have a similar commute now and it sucks. Luckily I will be moving 30 minutes closer in a few years.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
What is your main reason for switching? Pay and benefits or the hours? UPS is a young man's game, 30 isn't too bad but it's getting to the point where you need to jump on soon. The job is good once you get seniority and learn some routes but does have some cons as well. Christmas time will be hell unless you worked last peak. Weather is a issue whether your north with snow or south with extreme heat. I would pass on casual driver and see if you can at least get 22.4 to start, that way you know your FT and get benefits within 30 days.

satellitedriver

I will start by saying I do not work for ups. I have applied twice, once as package handler in 2018 and earlier this year as a pt driver. I was contact by hr about pt driver position and was told it would be a casual driver position. I did the driving test, back ground check, then other forms including tax info, direct deposit etc. Then waited to do the week of driving school. When I starting seeing new drivers in my area I reached out to hr who told me they had put a hold on hiring new drivers and I would be considered in the future. A retired ups driver i know is pushing me to keep trying for a position for better pay and the benefits. I've talked to a few local drivers that encourage me to do the same. Currently I work in the agricultural business 50 hrs a week normally busy season 60 to 80hrs. I'll probably top out around 60k a year( I'm pretty close to that now). If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now. I'm 30 and know if I'm going to make the switch I need to now. I'm asking here as opposed to stopping a busy driver because Noone here is on the clock... Would the switch at my age be worth it?
JT,
I was 33yrs old when I hired on with UPS and had a 104mile daily commute.
It was worth it for me, yes.
Was it easy?, No.
Retired at the age of 60 totally debt free and a very nice nest egg for my retirement.
It is not only how much you make, but what you make with what you have.
Best of Luck.

meritocracy

Most union jobs other than maybe working at a grocery store are worth it compared to whatever else you're doing unless you own a highly profitable business or you're a finance bro or engineer or something.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well, I'm not 60(58) either. Been here 40 years though. He will have worked for 40 years also.....probably like you will.....just not all at UPS.
And yes, working somewhere else for 10,15,20 years counts in the total. That seems to get lost in the abuse and hate.

Btw, as hateful as you are.....I'm quite proud of my accomplishments....and the more abusive jealousy that is spewed....makes me know I'm tracking well.

Btw, as belittled as I am.....by jealous BC'ers......I'm sure sitting fat on retirement, vacation and pay.....year after year after year......enjoying the fruits of my labor. Very satisfying.
97F7C6D3-93BB-4487-A96F-12873849694E.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
JT,
I was 33yrs old when I hired on with UPS and had a 104mile daily commute.
It was worth it for me, yes.
Was it easy?, No.
Retired at the age of 60 totally debt free and a very nice nest egg for my retirement.
It is not only how much you make, but what you make with what you have.
Best of Luck.
You forgot one key item
You are a pos scab

The main reason would be for pay, benefits and setting myself up for the future. I figured Noone here would pull any punches maybe a little bs but so far I appreciate the input.