Is spelling important?

UPS Lifer

I recently got an email with the scrambled message below.
Only 55 out of 100 people can read this.

Are you one of them?

This is weird, but interesting!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs?

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in th e rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you can read this is spelling really important?

Waht are yuor tohhguts?

SoyFish

I can read that. Shows spelling isn't importnat. It's funny actually, shows how as long is you can communicate why does it matter how words are spelled?

brown bomber

brown bomber
thanks for the little "mind game"..w/ the spelling..I translated every word and sentence............I'm still a big fan of proper spelling and puncuation....forgive me......but in this day of texting and sending IM's..I think that we've forgotten the English language

DS

Fenderbender
Lifer this is an interesting thread that opens up all kinds of things.
Like,why some people try to be impeccable and precise when posting a message,while others type like 5 year olds.Is it lack of schooling or maybe just that they feel its not important to know how to spell.
How about saving time by omitting vowels?
ld blck wtr kp n rlln,mssssp mn wnt y kp shnng n m(Db brthrs)

rod

Retired 22 years
I never had much time for the spelling police. Everyone screws up a word or two now and then. Ain't that right Kenmei:happy2:

govols019

You smell that?
If someone can't take the time and attempt to spell and punctuate properly then I can't take the time to respond to any question they have.

satellitedriver

. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
To me, this sentence answers the major part of your question.
One must first be literate.
If one did not already have their "human mind" imprinted with the correct definition and spelling of a word, then it would have a very difficult time decoding scrabbled letters.
So, IMO, 45% of people never learned to spell in the first place.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That was interesting. I read the whole thing without even slowing down. Typing this took longer because of spelling and punctuation. LOL

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I recently got an email with the scrambled message below.
Only 55 out of 100 people can read this.

Are you one of them?

This is weird, but interesting!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs?

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in th e rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you can read this is spelling really important?

Waht are yuor tohhguts?

I like this one , how many friend`s are in the sentance below. (not any kind of trick question

"FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS"
:surprised:
:wink2:
:dissapointed:
most people count 3 but there are 6 if you look again

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I like this one , how many friend`s are in the sentance below. (not any kind of trick question

"FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS"
:surprised:
:wink2:
:dissapointed:
most people count 3 but there are 6 if you look again

Apparantly most UPS drivers brains have just been so screwed up over the years we have a hard time recognising an friend after an o

moreluck

golden ticket member
Spelling is important. Whatever your primary language happens to be, you should be a master at spelling its words. If you're not very good at it, there's always spellcheck to tidy up your work.

Most spelling mistakes are due to hitting a key next door to the one you meant to strike.

Take some pride in what you write/print. I'm one of the old fogeys who still thinks that neatness counts.......thanks to the nuns.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Spelling is important. Whatever your primary language happens to be, you should be a master at spelling its words. If you're not very good at it, there's always spellcheck to tidy up your work.

Most spelling mistakes are due to hitting a key next door to the one you meant to strike.

Take some pride in what you write/print. I'm one of the old fogeys who still thinks that neatness counts.......thanks to the nuns.
I hate spelling errors. There is a difference in a misspelled word by accident and one that clearly shows that someone has no control of their English language. State sign in Ohio at a rest area.
BUCKEL UP. They finally fixed it. I dont even care if a post has a few errors, but pasture was a good one for pastor:sad-very:

helenofcalifornia

OK, I am just a stupid UPS driver, but where are the six "friend's?" And I was a journalism major in college, so I am kinda stickler for spelling. Spelling errors leap out and stare me right in the face. Spelling doesn't seem to be that high of a priority with people today so I have learned to let it "getting to me" go.