Is this a scam

I recently applied for package delivery driver at the farmingville location. Went to the orientation which they originally make it sound like an interview. They told me to come back the next day for an interview. I did and the guy calls you in to a room one at a time, asks you two questions and gives you information to go for the DOT and set up a road test. But he also says this isn't really the interview and the job isn't guaranteed, that I need to pass the road test then go to training school in queens and then they'll give me the opportunity to prove my self with 40 hours of work and if I can do that I'm in. But I could be off a week or two or maybe only work a few days here and there. So I talk to an actual ups driver about it and he says it's possible after all that that you may not even work for 6 months after you proved yourself with the 40 hours. My question is are they hiring people in an assembly line to get them to work about 40 hours and have you work here and there just so they don't have to have you on the books as a full time employee and not have to pay out benefits or pension. I know of other businesses doing that. When my girlfriend is off from her job on Fridays and Saturdays she temps at stony brook dental. Everyone working there is a temp with the exception or the dr's. They do this so they don't have to pay out benifits. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated as I work full time now at what I'd call a dead end job but i can't afford to not really be working for that long. Thank you.

I recently applied for package delivery driver at the farmingville location. Went to the orientation which they originally make it sound like an interview. They told me to come back the next day for an interview. I did and the guy calls you in to a room one at a time, asks you two questions and gives you information to go for the DOT and set up a road test. But he also says this isn't really the interview and the job isn't guaranteed, that I need to pass the road test then go to training school in queens and then they'll give me the opportunity to prove my self with 40 hours of work and if I can do that I'm in. But I could be off a week or two or maybe only work a few days here and there. So I talk to an actual ups driver about it and he says it's possible after all that that you may not even work for 6 months after you proved yourself with the 40 hours. My question is are they hiring people in an assembly line to get them to work about 40 hours and have you work here and there just so they don't have to have you on the books as a full time employee and not have to pay out benefits or pension. I know of other businesses doing that. When my girlfriend is off from her job on Fridays and Saturdays she temps at stony brook dental. Everyone working there is a temp with the exception or the dr's. They do this so they don't have to pay out benifits. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated as I work full time now at what I'd call a dead end job but i can't afford to not really be working for that long. Thank you.
We all had to go through it. How bad do you want this job? Can you actually do this job? You will definitely be working more than 40 hours, it may just take awhile.

We all had to go through it. How bad do you want this job? Can you actually do this job? You will definitely be working more than 40 hours, it may just take awhile.
I could definitely do this job I work 58 back breaking hours a week now and drive a big sprinter. I just couldn't financially be able to support my self not working that long. Sucks they make it so difficult for someone that's currently employed to get a job there.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You must be a Yankee fan, no? I deduced that from the elegance and distinctive appearance of your prose.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
7417D66E-55BD-4BE9-9F0C-EF7D469A1D04.gif

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
your being hired for seasonal work

your being hired for seasonal work
The job description was for full time. Guy even said if I get through it all I'll be working 40hrs a week. The only thing he said was that I might do a week here be off a week work a few days the next week then off a week. Then eventually I'd have my own route and be working every week. Definitely sounds a bit sketchy though. And I've actually done seasonal work for ups like 7 years ago, wasn't the same crap i had to go through then.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
The job description was for full time. Guy even said if I get through it all I'll be working 40hrs a week. The only thing he said was that I might do a week here be off a week work a few days the next week then off a week. Then eventually I'd have my own route and be working every week. Definitely sounds a bit sketchy though. And I've actually done seasonal work for ups like 7 years ago, wasn't the same crap i had to go through then.
It's not sketchy. It's union. You work based on seniority order. If your the new guy your, the last one to work. So when packaged volume is light and they cut a few routes. They lay a few of the bottom guys off. Which would be you. But you won't stay on the bottom forever. Be a rough first year. Then after that you would be fine.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
working 40 hours is full time but what do you call it when you work a week here and there.

UPeopleSuck

Is the sup an African Prince who needs your checking account in order to transfer $40 million from an oil contract? If so, definitely not a scam, trust me.

IESucks

Ups at its best they will use and abuse you till u get fired or quit . Move along. This jobs not for you....your welcome

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
“Full time” means two seasons of casual work before you’ll be even considered for a permanent position.

If you absolutely must work at UPS then go for it. However if you can take it or leave it, I would leave that inconsistent crap well alone.