Is Violence On Decline?

wkmac

Watching the news or listening to self serving politicians, one could hardly be blamed for answering no, even suggesting violence is on the rise but others are suggesting too not be so hasty in answering the question in the negative.

Why Is There Peace?

rickyb

Watching the news or listening to self serving politicians, one could hardly be blamed for answering no, even suggesting violence is on the rise but others are suggesting too not be so hasty in answering the question in the negative.

Why Is There Peace?
its on the rise isnt it? wages are falling, US and russia are almost nuking each other, climate change will destablize things.

if it isnt, it will be in the future if things dont change.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This is the Trump supporter:

The Portland street preacher who was knocked unconscious at Portland International Airport Sunday confirmed on Tuesday that he was one of the men filmed earlier in the day yelling at churchgoers over a bullhorn in front of St. Peter, a Spanish-speaking Catholic church in Portland.

Video posted on Facebook shows the Bible Believers yelling at parishioners at a Spanish-speaking Catholic church in Portland Sunday.

"Jesus Christ is going to come back and judge every single one of you," yells one of the Bible Believers over a megaphone to people in front of the church. "You're in there talking about peace; you're in there talking about unity. There is no unity within the body of Christ."

"You're not the true Christians," he adds.
"I absolutely believe that God discriminates and not everyone is going to heaven," he told us. "That's why God made lists."

"We're going to keep protesting in front of churches," Chisholm said.

Street preacher punched at PDX says his group will continue to demonstrate at Portland churches

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So are you implying that he was followed and then attacked ?
No. I'm suggesting Breitbart and the Daily Caller are garbage websites whose strategy is to pick and choose the information they reveal to their readers in an attempt to hide the truth and influence their readers' opinions in the direction of their twisted political agenda. Stop reading this garbage.

wkmac

This is the Trump supporter:

The Portland street preacher who was knocked unconscious at Portland International Airport Sunday confirmed on Tuesday that he was one of the men filmed earlier in the day yelling at churchgoers over a bullhorn in front of St. Peter, a Spanish-speaking Catholic church in Portland.

Video posted on Facebook shows the Bible Believers yelling at parishioners at a Spanish-speaking Catholic church in Portland Sunday.

"Jesus Christ is going to come back and judge every single one of you," yells one of the Bible Believers over a megaphone to people in front of the church. "You're in there talking about peace; you're in there talking about unity. There is no unity within the body of Christ."

"You're not the true Christians," he adds.
"I absolutely believe that God discriminates and not everyone is going to heaven," he told us. "That's why God made lists."

"We're going to keep protesting in front of churches," Chisholm said.

Street preacher punched at PDX says his group will continue to demonstrate at Portland churches

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No. I'm suggesting Breitbart and the Daily Caller are garbage websites whose strategy is to pick and choose the information they reveal to their readers in an attempt to hide the truth and influence their readers' opinions in the direction of their twisted political agenda. Stop reading this garbage.
So you are saying that they are like every other news service out there ?

According to the FBI's annual crime reports, violent offenses HAVE been going down over the past few years. However, there are a few problems with these statistics. First, you gotta remember that these reports which are commonly cited in news/media only attest to reported crime. If so and so is mugged and doesn't report it to the police, then the FBIs report wont factor it in. Why so and so didnt report it is another issue entirely (with a growing reason being lack of faith in law enforcement) thats best saved for another discussion. Additionally, these reports dont include non-violent offenses which appear to be on the rise in recent years. Assuming the claims that violence has been down is true, like you said, why doesnt it feel like violence is becoming more prevalent? Simple, with :censored2:ty twitter and facebook consuming peoples lives, the constant barrage of violent news stories gives individuals the illusion that the world is becoming more violent. A former professor at UPenn even penned a thesis on the topic, coined the "Mean World Syndrome."

wkmac

All media is likely guilty of this from time to time so calling out a few and ignoring the bulk seems a bit hypocritical to me.

BrownArmy

All media is likely guilty of this from time to time so calling out a few and ignoring the bulk seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I disagree.

On some level, there needs to be a standard.

I know what the NYT, WSJ, The Economist, and the Washington Post are all about. It's clear where they lean politically, but it's also clear that they try to uphold a journalistic standard.

Breitbart is a different beast altogether. I'm not sure there's an analog on the left, but in either case, it's just as DIDO described - Breitbart's mission is a naked attempt to influence and steer it's readers with absolutely no regard for objectivity or even truth.

It's 'two minutes of hate' writ large.

Your mileage may vary...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree to an extent.
The problem with Breitbart, the daily caller, etc., is they are really a new genre of "news". It's a mix between a blog, a news site, and a ranting facebook post. What they provide certainly couldn't be described as news articles. It's usually just two or three paragraphs with a sensational headline as click-bait. It's "news" in the sense that it is slightly better than getting your information from an angry twitter post.

Fenris

I disagree.

On some level, there needs to be a standard.

I know what the NYT, WSJ, The Economist, and the Washington Post are all about. It's clear where they lean politically, but it's also clear that they try to uphold a journalistic standard.

Breitbart is a different beast altogether. I'm not sure there's an analog on the left, but in either case, it's just as DIDO described - Breitbart's mission is a naked attempt to influence and steer it's readers with absolutely no regard for objectivity or even truth.

It's 'two minutes of hate' writ large.

Your mileage may vary...

I don't know that I would agree that NYT and WaPo uphold a journalistic standard. Breitbart's on the left are all over the place on news aggregation Apps: HuffPo, Slate, Vox, Thinkprogress

rickyb

in a sense i dont like the violence because people usually kill the wrong people / its not really constructive, but on the other hand i like the self destructive violence because its a reminder that despite what our corporate / government media masters tell us: everything is not ok