Is your pet simply property or part of the family?

I dont know. I would spend what I have to save my dogs. If it would result in lengthening life, and a quality life.
This is not so much about the worth of an animal, as it is about a veterinarian making a fatal error. That should be worth a little more than the cost of replacing an animal. It is a malpractice suit.

That is your prerogative to spend your money anyway you see fit. I do feel bad for the people that lose a pet they love. I do not understand the willingness to spend thousands of dollars on a pet. There are multiple reasons I do not have any pets.
T2, the suit is about the animals worth more than the mistake. The mistake is already established, the amount of the settlement is what is being challenged. It was the owners decision to spend thousands on cancer treatments (I'm sure they were given no guarantees) , should they be reimbursed because the vet made a mistake?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The big picture is that ultimately this is a selfish act by the owners to prolong a dogs life that should be humanely put out of its misery.

You sound like a good candidate to serve on the National Healthcare system board that will take care of us in the future. :nurse:

You sound like a good candidate to serve on the National Healthcare system board that will take care of us in the future. :nurse:

You wouldn't think it so humorous if you had some horrible cancer or something. It's a valid debate to argue for someone to end their misery humanely.

P

pickup

Even if they can manage to treat the dog as a person in this case. The future damages in relation to the dog are worth bupkus.

Wrongful Death Suits - How Are Damages and Present Value Calculated?

Plus the fact that if a person is wrongfully killed, it makes no difference to future or present damages if just the day before, the victim paid 10 grand for a boob job. The cost of the 10 grand wouldn't be tacked onto the lawsuit.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont mean I would spend every cent I have to save them. I tried to save my Collie Buster, I might have spent 1500 to do it. Maybe 2k. I then realized that he was 11, and he was not recovering. I never did find out what was wrong. Im assuming some kind of cancer. One night I decided I couldnt come home and see him not being Buster. He sits in a jar by my fireplace.
As does Carrie, the doberman who adopted me.
If I have the money avaiable, I will put a certain amount into them depending on their age, and the possible outcomes.
No I dont think the vet is responsible for the 28k that someone spent to save an animal. I do think he is responsible for making a mistake. while we all make them, this one seems elementary to me, though I would not know the difference of where to put a tube, he got paid to know that.
If I was the judge, I would say he need to pay for replacement of the pet, burial or cremation expenses and a couple grand for screwing up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The truly brutal part of being a pet owner is when you have to start making financial decisions about what sort of care, if any, an aging pet should receive.

On the one hand, you really cant put a price on the unconditional love that a pet gives you. On the other hand, as the owner who is obligated to provide veterinary care for that pet....you are forced to. The harsh reality is that what might be appropriate for a young pet would not make sense for an elderly one. To make things even harder, its almost impossible to keep your own emotions from clouding your judgement.

Having had many pets in my life, I am at a place now where I would rather err on the side of caution and euthanize too soon rather than too late. I have been guilty in the past of being selfish and allowing a beloved pet to live longer than I really should have. I dont want to make that mistake again.
The hardest gift of all to give to your pet is the gift of a good death.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Having had many pets in my life, I am at a place now where I would rather err on the side of caution and euthanize too soon rather than too late. I have been guilty in the past of being selfish and allowing a beloved pet to live longer than I really should have. I dont want to make that mistake again.
The hardest gift of all to give to your pet is the gift of a good death.

Been there done that.

It's still hard and hurts and the lingering doubt that you made the right decision makes you feel crummy ... at least for me anyway.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Baxter was hit by a car and his front leg was snapped clean, both bones. Without surgery, dead.
Over $7000 later, he will be 5 on March 27. He is very happy and plays with his brother daily.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Baxter was hit by a car and his front leg was snapped clean, both bones. Without surgery, dead.
Over $7000 later, he will be 5 on March 27. He is very happy and plays with his brother daily.

Did they amputate the leg, or fix it?

I have seen many 3-legged dogs that got around amazingly well and were obviously happy dogs.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I have seen many 3-legged dogs that got around amazingly well and were obviously happy dogs.
Fixed it. They were able to save it. Steel plated and screwed into place. I would have gone the amputation route if I had had to. They didn't offer it as an option. I can't remember why. I was pretty upset. I know how other people feel and that's fine. Personally, they are my kids and I dare you to tell them​ they aren't.

texan

My father passed in 1999. My mom's only companion was the Basset Hound that loved her.
He was very old and gray, and could barely jump up on the couch any more to sit with her.
I had to make the decision and convince her that it was time. We took it to the vet, and he concurred
that the dog was in pain from arthritist. Saddest day in my life and especially hers as the vet adminstered "the shot".
I buried the dog, and my mom cried all day. 1st her husband, and now the dog.
It was rough.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My father passed in 1999. My mom's only companion was the Basset Hound that loved her.
He was very old and gray, and could barely jump up on the couch any more to sit with her.
I had to make the decision and convince her that it was time. We took it to the vet, and he concurred
that the dog was in pain from arthritist. Saddest day in my life and especially hers as the vet adminstered "the shot".
I buried the dog, and my mom cried all day. 1st her husband, and now the dog.
It was rough.
It was the kindest thing you could do for him.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm sorry, but I could never justify spending that much money on an animal.
To see his smile and to watch him playing; listening to him bitch when I am slow at making his breakfast(any meal);watching him sleep legs high in the air snoring away; it is all worth that and much more. He knows the box of milkbones from Sam's. He is mad at me because the spot where they go is empty. I haven't been to Sam's in a week. He stands there and barks at me. Precious.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

I have a tri-pod golden retriever. He was hit by a truck and had nerve damage in the leg. The vet said he might regain use of it but he just dragged it around. Eventually we decided to have it amputated. He was young and such a good loving dog(almost to the point of becoming a nuisance) that we could not put him down because his leg. $600 later he was free of his front leg and has been that way for 3 years. Faster than any 4 legged version.
duncan.jpg
duncan.jpg

Last edited: