ISP concerns and questions...

CJinx

I'll clue you in: either safety isn't really that big a deal or they are just too slow to do anything about it. Over 60% of accidents are drivers with less than 2 years experience. Turnover with package handlers is a problem. Not being able to keep qualified drivers even more of one. From a safety standpoint, with their DOT number, their indemnity insurance...yeah it's their problem too.
I'm sure they care about safety. Unsafe driving and accidents cause negative publicity. Nobody likes to see a Fedex truck go up in a ball of flame or read about how a distracted driver ran over two kids. I just wonder what you expect them to do about it. We hand out seasonal/weather related information coming from the state DOT with the driver paperwork in the morning; we find it later on the warehouse floor. They are your drivers. We can't make them be safe. You can.

As for handlers... High turnover is expected because of the hours and physical demands of the job. Most of our handlers are in it for the tuition assistance. Some people do it for beer money. Nobody should make a career out of being a handler.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I understand that Ground is notorious for sending home handlers thinking that the drivers or the contractors will finish loading the trucks for free. I'd get real tired of that real fast.

Until Smith retires don't look for any of that to change.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sure they care about safety. Unsafe driving and accidents cause negative publicity. Nobody likes to see a Fedex truck go up in a ball of flame or read about how a distracted driver ran over two kids. I just wonder what you expect them to do about it. We hand out seasonal/weather related information coming from the state DOT with the driver paperwork in the morning; we find it later on the warehouse floor. They are your drivers. We can't make them be safe. You can.

As for handlers... High turnover is expected because of the hours and physical demands of the job. Most of our handlers are in it for the tuition assistance. Some people do it for beer money. Nobody should make a career out of being a handler.
It's simple. Pay ISP's well enough to pay drivers well.

BigTex61

I cant tell you how many times on my route the ground or home delivery person has asked me how to get on at Express. They would jump ship in a heartbeat, at least the ones in my area.

I had a driver leave for express and then want to come back to HD actually. I am in a lower income area though, so the pay standard with ground or HD actually works well for most of my drivers.

M I Indy

That is only true to a certain extent. Safety is of prime importance and experienced drivers is core to that. If ISP's can't afford.to keep experienced drivers because Pittsburgh is too cheap and Express can and will pay better...well you tell me what that means.

It means the same thing you tell others who complain about things you deem not worthy, just quit.

PS You have an inappropriate period in your text.:wink2:

gixxer squid

Had ISP meetings today. Done. Time to hang the hat. They gave us till OCT 31 to sign the addendum, threw a 5k bonus when signing to void their other contract we just signed for a year. Throwing another 5k bonus when new ISP contracts signed in April. Funny how when they want something they know is NOT right that they start throwing money at us to keep quiet. Well friend them. The joke of a manual they gave us is one sided propaganda.

They are giving contractors 10k bonus if they buy 1 additional route, 15k bonus if they buy 2, 20k if they buy three up to a 100k bonus. Bonus my ass! Had they :censored2: paid us a descent wage and benefits to slave for them then people wouldn't be suing them left and right. I sure hope the lawsuits start flowing like Niagara falls. I now feel sorrier than ever for you others that got swindled into this ISP crap.

If any state should revolt it is in here in California. This absurd. Cant take it no more. It was bad but somewhat manageable before but this load of crap tops the list. Time to move on, this ugly brown purple/orange/green has really gone to :censored2:.

If anyone knows any suckers that want to get into this disneyland of a business, send the cash whores our way. The time is now. I can see my inbox blowing up as I type

bbsam

Staff member
Had ISP meetings today. Done. Time to hang the hat. They gave us till OCT 31 to sign the addendum, threw a 5k bonus when signing to void their other contract we just signed for a year. Throwing another 5k bonus when new ISP contracts signed in April. Funny how when they want something they know is NOT right that they start throwing money at us to keep quiet. Well friend them. The joke of a manual they gave us is one sided propaganda.

They are giving contractors 10k bonus if they buy 1 additional route, 15k bonus if they buy 2, 20k if they buy three up to a 100k bonus. Bonus my ass! Had they :censored2: paid us a descent wage and benefits to slave for them then people wouldn't be suing them left and right. I sure hope the lawsuits start flowing like Niagara falls. I now feel sorrier than ever for you others that got swindled into this ISP crap.

If any state should revolt it is in here in California. This absurd. Cant take it no more. It was bad but somewhat manageable before but this load of crap tops the list. Time to move on, this ugly brown purple/orange/green has really gone to :censored2:.

If anyone knows any suckers that want to get into this disneyland of a business, send the cash whores our way. The time is now. I can see my inbox blowing up as I type
Talked to the new owner today. They are out there. Look for hedge fund owners looking for an investment.

bbsam

Staff member

So in your station, do contractors really make enough to pay their drivers at least Express scale compensation. And don't play dumb about it. Pittsburgh has their fingers on the pulse of this from QA to SM to MD and all the way up.;)

bbsam

Staff member

Nothingto say, Cjinx?

CJinx

So in your station, do contractors really make enough to pay their drivers at least Express scale compensation. And don't play dumb about it. Pittsburgh has their fingers on the pulse of this from QA to SM to MD and all the way up.;)
If the owner is willing to cut his or her own take home pay, they certainly can pay higher wages. In my experience, they aren't willing to do this.

"I'm a business man, I deserve a $100,000 salary,"
meh

bbsam

Staff member
If the owner is willing to cut his or her own take home pay, they certainly can pay higher wages. In my experience, they aren't willing to do this.

"I'm a business man, I deserve a $100,000 salary,"
meh
Oh stop. If I were to pay each of my drivers Express compensation I wouldn't last a year.

overflowed

Oh stop. If I were to pay each of my drivers Express compensation I wouldn't last a year.
You seem very pissed off lately Bbsam. I have never talked with a contractor that made much money, it seems you aren't either anymore. I run into many ground drivers recently that all they ask is "how do I get on at Express." The word is out man.

bbsam

Staff member
You seem very pissed off lately Bbsam. I have never talked with a contractor that made much money, it seems you aren't either anymore. I run into many ground drivers recently that all they ask is "how do I get on at Express." The word is out man.
Not pissed. Just tired. Pittsburgh knows what has to happen. The word is out and they know it. They'll keep trying to get more for the same money but that time is past. The entrepreneur attitude in our building is taking a break. All the ISP's are basically flying on auto-pilot right now. We don't really care about the coming failure in peak. This is basically my second year of taking peak off.

They'll come around. Or not. Nobody really cares anymore.