It Appears I'm Being Fired - Please help...

Yeah give me a break. They would of put you on a 72 hour notice if they were planning on firing you pending the investigation.
It may work that way where you are, but may not where anyone else is. Remember the only constant at UPS is inconsistency.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
P/U, there could be a dozen different reasons for waiting until the last minute to pay a bill or get an inspection. It is what it is. I am sure that in hindsight, LTD realizes that maybe the choice he made was a bad one or maybe he didn't have any choice in it at all.

My tags just came due on my Envoy, I was not expecting it just yet. I have been on lay off for 3 weeks and am going on vacation in 2. The 500+ plus bill is not something I needed just now and I will have to scrounge to pay it or I may have to just pay for 1 year instead of 2.

P

pickup

Pickup had a great idea--pull your abstract annually.

I pull my abstract every two months. Although no moving violations and no parking tickets. I am open to the idea that maybe some overzealous meter maid , in an effort to meet her quota, slapped a ticket on my legally parked car and the wind carried it away or that maybe a red light camera got my license plate even if I made right turn on red legally and that the mailman dropped the notification on the street before it made my mailbox. If these actions result in a suspended license, I want to know about it before ups. I also would prefer that I am informed about it via reading my abstract than to one day get pulled over for busted taillight and after the cop runs my license(i.e checks my abstract) says "Mr. Pickup, please step out of the car" and as I do , slaps the handcuffs on me for driving with a suspended license.

I almost got burned twenty years ago for a supposed insurance lapse and I got a warning letter the day the license would have been suspended. I just walked into the dmv and threw the plates in a designated slot. I didn't want to wait on line. The plates were from a car I sold and dmv claimed it never received them, so they assumed I was still driving the car with no insurance, which I cancelled after the sale of the car. Anyway I busted my hump to get down to the dmv and straightened out the mess two hours before the deadline.

I learned from that and now will do anything related to the dmv in person and dealing with another person rather than rely on mail or drop boxes and not knowing if there are any problems.

Also, after hearing stories from friends who were driving unknowingly with suspended licenses and getting arrested, I figured it is better to get the abstract more frequently and find out the easy way as opposed to John law informing me on the side of the highway.

Also, any driver who receives an equipment violation or overweight ticket in his name (which has yet to happen to me, thank god), make a copy of that ticket or at least write down the ticket number and the agency that issued it before you hand it in to your management. You can then use the web(in many cases) to check the status of that ticket to find out if it was paid or taken care of. If you see it hasn't been in a reasonable time period then you can bring it with your manager and find out if it got buried in a drawer or folder.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you deduct the cost of pulling the abstract from your taxes as an unreimbursed job expense? As I recall NYS DMV charges $10 (it may even be $20) to pull your abstract and it can be done online.

P

pickup

Do you deduct the cost of pulling the abstract from your taxes as an unreimbursed job expense? As I recall NYS DMV charges $10 (it may even be $20) to pull your abstract and it can be done online.

its ten dollars in new jersey and yes i do deduct it as an unreimbursed job expense. By the way, when McGreevy was governor he bought the dmv out of the stone ages and now it is on par with what a new york dmv was like in the late 80s. Some of the dmvs here (I am sorry, part of his reform was to rename the dmv and call it the m.v.c. which is the Motor Vehicle Commission) here give you a ticket like the one you would receive in a butcher shop. You sit down and might wonder where the board is that would display your number. A lady periodically comes out into the waiting area (like patty or selma from the simpsons) and starts barking out numbers in a gravelly voice. Its like stepping into a time machine.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Seems like this was just a mixup and should go away now that you cleared it up.

Why do you think you are going to loose at your hearing? You have a very sympathitic situation with your house burning down, and, you were never informed of the $25 fee because of our arch-enemy The Post Office!!!

Why was your Union Rep waiting in the office with three heavy-weight management people without meeting with you first privately and informing you of the charges and preparing you for the surprise inquisition? :angry:
Agreed!

P/U, there could be a dozen different reasons for waiting until the last minute to pay a bill or get an inspection. It is what it is. I am sure that in hindsight, LTD realizes that maybe the choice he made was a bad one or maybe he didn't have any choice in it at all.

My tags just came due on my Envoy, I was not expecting it just yet. I have been on lay off for 3 weeks and am going on vacation in 2. The 500+ plus bill is not something I needed just now and I will have to scrounge to pay it or I may have to just pay for 1 year instead of 2.
I'm with you, sistah, except for the payment of your tags. Sheesh is that high.

its ten dollars in new jersey and yes i do deduct it as an unreimbursed job expense. By the way, when McGreevy was governor he bought the dmv out of the stone ages and now it is on par with what a new york dmv was like in the late 80s. Some of the dmvs here (I am sorry, part of his reform was to rename the dmv and call it the m.v.c. which is the Motor Vehicle Commission) here give you a ticket like the one you would receive in a butcher shop. You sit down and might wonder where the board is that would display your number. A lady periodically comes out into the waiting area (like patty or selma from the simpsons) and starts barking out numbers in a gravelly voice. Its like stepping into a time machine.
That's the way it is here, Patty and Selma included.
homer-grabbing-patty-selma-d1557_sml.JPG

P

pickup

I know, dilli , I know. But now he might pay a bigger price. If faced between a ticket deadline and an electric bill, I would pay the ticket first. At least the electric company gives you notice(they'll call you up) and a final notice you can't ignore , like no lights. but even then , that action would not affect my job .

I hope by the end of the week, living the dream posts and tells us he skated.

tieguy

Banned
Some here I'm sure will be happy to hear of this. No need to comment.

I was called into the office Thursday by my center manager, LP, another manager & a Union rep. I was asked if there was anything I wanted to tell them.

As I have never stolen, cheated, or broken the rules at UPS that I know of, I said no. They asked me how my drivers license is, and I replied it is perfect, no moving violations in 10 years.

They then advised me that, while doing an audit, my license was found to be suspended since February. They also advised that they had information that I had a warrant out for my arrest over it. I advised them truthfully that this was news to me.

They showed me two citations (non-moving violations, failure to inspect vehicle) that were tied to this suspension/warrant for arrest. Interestingly, both citations were marked "paid".

I was asked to sign a full release for them to investigate my license (I complied) and told them I would investigate & advise as well.

On Friday I called the office that issued the citations. They confirmed that they were paid, there is no warrant, and they provided receipts & a letter to UPS stating same. They advised me UPS had already called them. They advised that the tickets were paid on January 21st, 2009, and that PennDot was sent a letter stating all was clear on February 4th. They suggested I call PennDot.

On calling PennDot, I was advised that due to the time elapsed between payment & notification to PennDot, a $25 license restoration fee was due. PennDot advised that a letter was sent to me, but was returned to PennDot (As stated in a previous post, my home burned down - I was being put up in a hotel by the Red Cross at the time and I DID NOT receive this request for $25 restoration fee, nor did I get any other mail)

I went to PennDot, paid $25, and all is fixed. I have a hearing this coming week, and I believe I'm going to lose - the bottom line is, I was driving for UPS while suspended. But there was no intent, No malace, no gross negligence on my part. I HAD NO IDEA MY LICENSE WAS SUSPENDED!

I don't like my job, but I would much prefer to keep it. Do I have any chance? Any suggestions?

Who paid the fines? Can you provide a timeline with what happened including when you had the house fire and other issues.

tieguy

Banned
Why was your Union Rep waiting in the office with three heavy-weight management people without meeting with you first privately and informing you of the charges and preparing you for the surprise inquisition? :angry:

your question has an air of suspicion around it. Its normal procedure to bring a steward in and tell him who we are talking to and why. In this case they probably would not let the steward talk to the driver first and give him a chance to come up with a story.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
your question has an air of suspicion around it. Its normal procedure to bring a steward in and tell him who we are talking to and why. In this case they probably would not let the steward talk to the driver first and give him a chance to come up with a story.

This was the impression I received when questioned. It was without a doubt the same way I was questioned by my parents when I was younger - "Do you have anything to tell us?" Fishing. I'm thankful that I have been playing it strait at UPS and had nothing to hide. Sometimes I drive a little fast is all I could come up with.

I received these tickets in December, while car was parked. It was the same day I was given the car by my father-in-law, and although the tags & registration were new, it was out of inspection. I planned on fighting it, since I had 10 days (I think) to get the car inspected.

I had these tickets on my desk at home. Had to pay by January 6th, which is same as court date. I didn't show (house burned down on Jan 4th, I was in Hotel, very overwhelmed). Court placed bench warrant & suspended license for no-show.

By the time I recalled the problem, I just went in and just paid the tickets - I had no fight left in me. They knew my situation, were very helpful, removed warrant & advised license now good. This was January 21.

They didn't send a letter to PennDot till Feb 6th. Something in the system at PennDot (which I still don't understand) automatically requires a $25 restoration fee if X number of days elapse between court & notification from citation issuing authority. They sent me notification, and that notification was returned to them. I never saw it, and had assumed this matter was closed from 1/21/09.

Again, my concern is this - I did, factually, drive for UPS for 5 months with a suspended license. If they want to go by the book, I'm cooked.

I am thankful they found this & I took care of it. If I was stopped driving, I would be screwed with fines & true loss of license.

PS - Somebody tell Steve & Dave I don't see their posts

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have seen very little common sense practiced thus far in my employ
From your postings, I would have to agree:wink2:

Bottom line is that if you have posted your facts here honestly, and can prove the timeline with documentation, then there are no worries.

ITs when you have knowledge of the issue and dont tell your manangement team that you are in deep trouble.

d

over9five

Staff member
I agree with Danny. I would (believe it or not) trust the company to do the right thing here. I wouldn't see a lawyer, and I don't think I'd be too worried about this.
MHO.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

705red

Browncafe Steward
LTD, are you working now? Driving or non driving? Has the company removed you from service pending their decision?

If you have all your paperwork in order as you say that you do, you will be fine. You had no knowledge of the suspension still being in effect after 1/21/09.

I do have to ask did you fill out your yearly DMV form for UPS before or after 1/21/089? I ask this because if you filled it out after and did not disclose this suspension then you might have a little problem.

Article16

Section 3. Loss of License
Section 3.1 Leave of Absence
When an employee, in any job classification requiring driving, loses his or
her operating privilege or whose license has been suspended or revoked for
reasons other than those for which the employee can be discharged by the
Employer, leave shall be granted for such time as the employee�s operating
privilege or license had been suspended or revoked but not for a period
longer than one (1) year, provided the driver whose operating privilege or
license has been suspended or revoked notifies the employee�s immediate
supervisor before the employee�s next report to work of such suspension or
revocation. The above provision need apply only to the first (lst)
suspension or revocation except for suspension of commercial drivers license
(CDL) of one (1) year or less duration.

Employees who take a leave of absence under this Section whose loss of
operating privilege or license is the result of driving under the influence of
drugs or alcohol will be allowed alternative work and to return to their job in
accordance with Section 3.3 below.

Section 3.2 Alternate Work (Other than Alcohol/Controlled Substance) When an employee, in any job classification requiring driving, has lost
his/her license under this Article he/she shall be afforded the opportunity to
displace junior, one (1) full-time or two (2) part-time, inside employees, until
he/she can return to his/her driving job, not to exceed one (1) year, unless
provided for otherwise in the Supplements, Riders or Addenda. The
employee shall receive the appropriate rate of pay for the job performed
based on his/her seniority. Coverage for benefits shall continue for the length
of the leave of absence or for the job duration, up to one (1) year.