Jarrett Gone?

Leftinbuilding

He will make an announcement tomorrow (Fri) re his future. Sounds to me like he is leaving. He has already said he intends to race again in 2008, so why an announcement if he is staying? I think that, until this past season, he has been a good representative for UPS. But an international company like UPS should be in the running more often. Frankly, Fed Ex and Hamlin have been embarrassing us for too long.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Walktrip is supposed to be making an announcement affecting himself, Jarrrett and Reutimann. Reutimann is supposed to be heading into the 44 car though next year. Last I heard on DJ that was in fact going to be in a car next year but maybe on a limited schedule.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Rumor is Jarrett will run the first 6 races and then hand the car over to his replacement driver whos yet to be announced..hearing David Reutimann will take over the 44 and either Jeremy Mayfield or David Stremme will drive the 00

gata

From UPSers.com
==============================
Dale Jarrett to Retire in March; David Reutimann Named Driver of the No. 44 Toyota

Former Cup Champ to Make Final Start on May 17 in All-Star Race.
Dale Jarrett has announced (related audio) that he will retire from full-time competition in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series at the conclusion of the 2007 season. While Dale will retire from full-time competition, he will compete in the first five races of the 2008 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series season, including the Daytona 500.

Replacing Dale as the driver of the No. 44 UPS Toyota Camry will be David Reutimann, beginning with the race at Martinsville Speedway on March 30, 2008. Reutimann is the full-time driver of the No. 00 Toyota Camry for Michael Waltrip Racing co-sponsored by BURGER KING Corporation and Domino's Pizza.

The Hickory, NC-native made his first career start in NASCAR’s top touring series at Martinsville Speedway on April 29, 1984. Dale's full-time Nextel Cup Series career started in 1987 when he was hired to drive for legendary NASCAR driver Cale Yarborough. The most successful stint of his career was during the 12 years he spent driving for Robert Yates Racing. From 1995 to 2006, Dale won the 1999 NASCAR Cup Series championship, 29 total races, and earned 16 Bud Pole Awards.

“This is obviously a decision in which I have put a lot of thought and consideration, and it is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do,” Dale said. “I’m first and foremost a competitor and the desire to compete is the reason why I have continued as a competitor in the Nextel Cup Series. I’ve come to the decision to get out of the racecar, and while I’ll miss being a driver, I am looking forward to the next phase of my life and career.”

“We believe the UPS brand and Dale Jarrett have become synonymous during the last seven years of our relationship,” said Ron Rogowski, director of sponsorships for UPS. “We support Dale in his decision to step from behind the wheel of the racecar and are thrilled to be able to continue the mutually beneficial relationship that started in 2001. We wish Dale and his family all the best in the future and will always count the Jarretts as part of the UPS family.”

The 37-year-old David Reutimann from Zephyrhills, FL, is currently competing in his first full season of Nextel Cup Series competition. David's big career break came in 2004 when he was hired by Darrell Waltrip to compete in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. Reutimann scored his first win in the Truck Series one year later at Nashville Superspeedway.

A

Anonymous Former Member

"Wow, replacing the has-been with a nobody...... "

'Up, up, up, we can only go up from here' - Shania Twain

CFLBrown

During qualifying on ESPN the other night they showed Reutimann delivering pizza for Domino's. Maybe next year ESPN will show him in the jump seat running packages to the door. Can't wait! :roll eyes:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Rumor is Jarrett will run the first 6 races and then hand the car over to his replacement driver whos yet to be announced..hearing David Reutimann will take over the 44 and either Jeremy Mayfield or David Stremme will drive the 00

I listend to the pres conference today on Sirius 128 and they said when Reutimann goes to the 44 two guys from ARCA will probably share time in the 00 car. they were two guys that I never heard of but the show's host claimed that they are two very young and very talented drivers.

Wow, replacing the has-been with a nobody......

Reutimann's not a nobody. He's actually not a bad driver who just happened to fall into a team that was brand new to the sport with all brand new equipment. There's a big learning curve when you are starting 3 years behind eeryone else. and on top of that NASCAR comes along and tells you that you are going to be running a new car for half the races as well. I am very curious to see how this guy does.

I like the fact that one Christmas Reutimann actually put on some browns and was a driver helper over peak. He's experienced what it is to be a real brownie.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Well lets see...after this disaster of a season, he will drive the first 5 races for 2008?? Don't know if thats such a good idea! Go young and go now, look what its done for our competitor.

CFLBrown

Well lets see...after this disaster of a season, he will drive the first 5 races for 2008?? Don't know if thats such a good idea! Go young and go now, look what its done for our competitor.

Past champions provisionals, puts $$ in his pockets as well as the car owner.

helenofcalifornia

I am kinda excited about Reutiman. I agree with the previous poster that he wasn't given a very good opportunity this season and just started making moves in the right direstion at the end. Anyone heard when UPS will state definitely what driver they are going to use?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I am kinda excited about Reutiman. I agree with the previous poster that he wasn't given a very good opportunity this season and just started making moves in the right direstion at the end. Anyone heard when UPS will state definitely what driver they are going to use?

The UPS guy who spoke at the conference said the Reutimann would be jumping into the UPS #44 in race 6 when he takes over for DJ. His UPS sponsorship will be in effect then.

They said on Sirius hat they thought it would be a cool idea to have a new commercial be to have DJ driving the truck and Reutimann in the jump seat out making deliveries or something. Then DJ just stops and hands over the keys and says something along the lines of, "Now let's see what you got kid," or just something simple like, "Here you go kid." I think it woud be a good commercial.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
In case any Nascar fans have not heard DJ qualified in the top 10! Who would think he still had it in him. Let's hope he can stay in the top 10 all race long with that 4th place starting position.

JustTired

free at last.......
Glad to see a change being made although I like Jarrett as a person. Things should get better for UPS.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the races seem to be getting a little boring. If it wasn't for the "action" off the track, there wouldn't be much excitement. I think the corporate footprint is starting to show. Nascar seems to be starting to "micro-manage" the races. They will end up ruining the sport before it's all said and done. Bottom line..... it's the almighty dollar that does the talking these days. And that dollar will be the downfall eventually. Of course the big guys will have made their fortunes by then. The little guys (what few are left) will pay the price.

ups79

Glad to see a change being made although I like Jarrett as a person. Things should get better for UPS.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the races seem to be getting a little boring. If it wasn't for the "action" off the track, there wouldn't be much excitement. I think the corporate footprint is starting to show. Nascar seems to be starting to "micro-manage" the races. They will end up ruining the sport before it's all said and done. Bottom line..... it's the almighty dollar that does the talking these days. And that dollar will be the downfall eventually. Of course the big guys will have made their fortunes by then. The little guys (what few are left) will pay the price.

It so bad that my wife and I four years ago quit watching and buying Nascar tickets. The route to go now is NHRA. My only fear is that the corp. that bought that association out is some how controlled by the FRANCE FAMILY.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree. I can hardly watch anymore. I like to read about NASCAR but I just check on the races to see how my fantasy team is doing. I would like to attend a race though if only for the party. BM

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have actually have had my supervisors offer me Corporate tickets but I turn them down. They weren't in the box, but were great grandstand tickets. We had a bid list last week to give away tickets for tomorrow's race. "Race Weekend" is just a pain to me, I work in a city near the track and the traffic gets horrendous. Friday, I delivered an EAM that was a COD for Roger Penske"s bus. He has a shiny new aluminum wheel on his motorhome today.