Jump!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
@jumpman23, your dream phone looks disappointing. ;)
Note 4 Note 5
Battery 3220mah 3000mah
RAM 3GB 4GB
FF Cam 3.7MP 5.0MP
Memory Card Yes NO
Removable battery Yes NO
CPU 2.7Ghz 2.1Ghz

The battery in the Note 5 actually lost capacity from the 4. The battery is no longer removable & replaceable. No more removable memory card to upgrade storage. The new chipset/CPU is state of the art, best you can get (even though it's slower at 2.1ghz) and you get an extra GB of RAM, also the front-facing cam is a hair better, but I'm really surprised it's not a true upgrade from the Note 4.

Overpaid Union Thug

Note 4 Note 5
Battery 3220mah 3000mah
RAM 3GB 4GB
FF Cam 3.7MP 5.0MP
Memory Card Yes NO
Removable battery Yes NO
CPU 2.7Ghz 2.1Ghz

The battery in the Note 5 actually lost capacity from the 4. The battery is no longer removable & replaceable. No more removable memory card to upgrade storage. The new chipset/CPU is state of the art, best you can get (even though it's slower at 2.1ghz) and you get an extra GB of RAM, also the front-facing cam is a hair better, but I'm really surprised it's not a true upgrade from the Note 4.
Phones are a winless battle.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Note 4 Note 5
Battery 3220mah 3000mah
RAM 3GB 4GB
FF Cam 3.7MP 5.0MP
Memory Card Yes NO
Removable battery Yes NO
CPU 2.7Ghz 2.1Ghz

I've got a Note 4 that I really like. Big screen, decent camera and it holds a charge for a couple of days.

Tony and I both signed up for google's project fi so we will be getting at least 1 nexus 6 soon with a $150 off coupon google sent. The note 4 is still my favorite phone but project fi is only compatible with the nexus 6.

McGee

I've got a Note 4 that I really like. Big screen, decent camera and it holds a charge for a couple of days.

Tony and I both signed up for google's project fi so we will be getting at least 1 nexus 6 soon with a $150 off coupon google sent. The note 4 is still my favorite phone but project fi is only compatible with the nexus 6.
Yep, I have an invite, but did not go ahead with it ...yet ( if I still even can) but I was SO close!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Yep, I have an invite, but did not go ahead with it ...yet ( if I still even can) but I was SO close!
Yeah, we got ours a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to figure out if we should do it or not. I finally decided to go for it because if it works out the way they describe it to it will cut my mobile phone bill in half. If it doesn't work out I can always switch back to tmobile.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah, we got ours a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to figure out if we should do it or not. I finally decided to go for it because if it works out the way they describe it to it will cut my mobile phone bill in half. If it doesn't work out I can always switch back to tmobile.

So all it is doing is offering free wifi which T-Mobile already has?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
So all it is doing is offering free wifi which T-Mobile already has?
You only have to pay for the data you use so using their tools it seems like it will be much less expensive.

We have been on tmobile forever but there are a lot of places around here where tmobile's network completely drops out. Project fi uses new technology to connect you to the fastest network which I've read are using both sprint and tmobile's networks, so... I'm hoping to get better coverage.

oldngray

nowhere special
You only have to pay for the data you use so using their tools it seems like it will be much less expensive.

We have been on tmobile forever but there are a lot of places around here where tmobile's network completely drops out. Project fi uses new technology to connect you to the fastest network which I've read are using both sprint and tmobile's networks, so... I'm hoping to get better coverage.

T-mobile is very good in some areas but the coverage areas are spotty. Could be better or worse depending on your area. I have been with T-mobile since its inception (when they bought out Voicestream) and I get deals not offered to newer customers.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
T-mobile is very good in some areas but the coverage areas are spotty. Could be better or worse depending on your area. I have been with T-mobile since its inception (when they bought out Voicestream) and I get deals not offered to newer customers.
We started with tmobile when they first came to Southern California. I think it was 2003 or 2004. They were the only local carrier offering international service and we like to travel, so we jumped in. We've stuck with them ever since.

We recently went to Puerto Rico and a few Caribbean islands with my sister and her family. We could use our phones everywhere for no additional cost. She couldn't use her phone anywhere because she was on Verizon.

Our local coverage is the only issue I have with them. Tmobile prices and customer service are very good, but there are a few areas around here where there is no service. Project fi offers service in 130 countries so it seems like it's a good compromise.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Same. I love my Note 4--It's awesome. Jump has been looking forward to the Note 5 since before the Note 4 came out so I was just giving him a hard time that the 5 doesn't seem to be a very big upgrade from the 4. I personally would keep my 4 if offered a free 5.

oldngray

nowhere special
Same. I love my Note 4--It's awesome. Jump has been looking forward to the Note 5 since before the Note 4 came out so I was just giving him a hard time that the 5 doesn't seem to be a very big upgrade from the 4. I personally would keep my 4 if offered a free 5.

The 5 seems a little better but hardly worth upgrading if you have a 4. Not unless you get a really good deal on one.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The smaller capacity battery, not being able to pull the battery if it freezes up or replace it if it stops holding a good charge and the no memory card slot make it a no go for me.

oldngray

nowhere special
The smaller capacity battery, not being able to pull the battery if it freezes up or replace it if it stops holding a good charge and the no memory card slot make it a no go for me.

Big negatives there for sure. They are eliminating some of the features that made them better than iphones.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We started with tmobile when they first came to Southern California. I think it was 2003 or 2004. They were the only local carrier offering international service and we like to travel, so we jumped in. We've stuck with them ever since.

We recently went to Puerto Rico and a few Caribbean islands with my sister and her family. We could use our phones everywhere for no additional cost. She couldn't use her phone anywhere because she was on Verizon.

Our local coverage is the only issue I have with them. Tmobile prices and customer service are very good, but there are a few areas around here where there is no service. Project fi offers service in 130 countries so it seems like it's a good compromise.
I was on Verizon for over a decade and had the unlimited data but got sick of them not allowing me to get a new phone without losing my unlimited data plan, so I finally said FU and changed to Sprint knowing I was probably moving to an inferior network.

As it turns out I have service in the 2 places that I didn't on Verizon. When streaming Sirius over my phone on the drive home from work on Verizon it would always cut out in a couple places (I'm assuming for the handoff from cell tower to tower) which was obnoxious and with Sprint it doesn't cut out once on the drive home. I have fewer bars but rarely lose data on my route and never lose voice...and I still have unlimited data so screw you Verizon.