Jury Duty...Haven't Even Started Work, What To Do?

YouPeeEss

I am scheduled to start package handler training next week and just received a jury summons to appear in court the following week. The jury showtime and my work hours crossover. What's the best thing to do in this situation as I wouldn't yet be seniority? I am allowed to postpone jury duty one time...should I postpone to a date after seniority?

Thanks

outamyway

Jury duty before work. Make sure you tell your supervisor and he has it taken care of. Bring the summons paper with you to work. Because you are not passed your seniority I doubt you will be paid for it(from UPS i mean). But they can not hold you liable for any work missed because of it.

Good luck. I get to go back sometime next week.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Why not call up the courthouse and have jury duty postponed.Go to your training class.You can do jury duty next year and you will have achieved seniority.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Civic Duty doesn't pay the bills, however.

Simple letter to courthouse, with copy of notice, saying it is your first week on the job, please schedule at another time, will be more than enough.

(What was I thinking? PT UPS doesn't pay the bills, either!)

What'dyabringmetoday???

Civic Duty doesn't pay the bills, however.

Simple letter to courthouse, with copy of notice, saying it is your first week on the job, please schedule at another time, will be more than enough.

(What was I thinking? PT UPS doesn't pay the bills, either!)
It is interesting how upset you get when people send jabs your way, yet you are willing to insert subtle jabs such as the one above and that is acceptable. If you are a big enough boy, or girl, to dish it out you should be big enough to take what you get in return.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It is interesting how upset you get when people send jabs your way, yet you are willing to insert subtle jabs such as the one above and that is acceptable. If you are a big enough boy, or girl, to dish it out you should be big enough to take what you get in return.

1. I've never become upset at jabs sent my way. Frustrated that I am unable to communicate with some people, yes, but never upset. This is just a forum.

2. I have no clue whatsoever what you are saying above. If I am giving anyone a subtle jab above, it was so subtle that even I was not aware of it.

Re-Raise

2. I have no clue whatsoever what you are saying above. If I am giving anyone a subtle jab above, it was so subtle that even I was not aware of it.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with you. I believe you were just joking about the unfortunately low starting pay for part-time and not trying to take a shot at YouPeeEss.

sx2700

Banned
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with you. I believe you were just joking about the unfortunately low starting pay for part-time and not trying to take a shot at YouPeeEss.

Where's the joke? Part time pay sucks. No he wasn't taking a shot at YouPeeEss, he was taking a shot at UPS's crappy starting wage.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It seemed to me that the part in parentheses could have been a tad facetious. If not, then I guess I should apologize. If you look at some other posts by original poster, though, you may see how I came to my conclusion. Like I said, subtle.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It seemed to me that the part in parentheses could have been a tad facetious. If not, then I guess I should apologize. If you look at some other posts by original poster, though, you may see how I came to my conclusion. Like I said, subtle.

If you have read some of my past posts, you will realize I have a real problem with the UPS starting hourly rate for loading / unloading.

You should have been in the olympics, because that was an amazing leap you just made.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you have read some of my past posts, you will realize I have a real problem with the UPS starting hourly rate for loading / unloading.

I too think the starting rate is a bit insane. My borhter worked at UPS 20 years ago and the starting rate wasonly $.50 less than it is today. You can work at a convenience store in this area and make about hte same amount and do far less work stnading behind a register in the heat and A/C. but you also don't get benefits like you do at UPS. the benefits (as stated in your name) are why most people come to UPS and stick around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jury duty pays $45/day in my county. Package handlers start at $8.50/hr., so if the kid works 4 hours he makes $34 (before taxes). He is a new hire so would not get the 4 hour guarantee (or whatever it is) and would be entitled to keep the jury duty pay, which those with the guarantee have to give back.

I had jury duty about 2 years ago and enjoyed my 2 day mini vacation. While most of the other potential jurors were bitching and moaning, doing whatever they could to get out of serving, I actually wanted to serve. There were actually 2 of us (myself and a cover feeder driver) picked to serve. The sad part was that the whole process was a joke. This woman was using the legal system to get back at her boyfriend and basically wasted 2 days in the lives of the jurors, judge, lawyers and everyone else involved. We sat through 2 days of testimony to spend 1/2 hour deliberating. As I said, I enjoyed my 2 day vacation as I knew that I was being paid for my time, but the experience showed me just how screwed up our legal system really is.

LOL, where I work a jury summons calls for bragging and high fives in the A.M. driver hangout room.

However if I were the OP here I would call the court house and ask for a deferral for this time.