Just got Laid off

ups2000

YEP! And sometimes I don't know what route I'm running until right at start time because of certain people that show up for work at that time. Its even better when someone that has a later start time due to dropping their kids off at school shows up and wants to bump me off a route when I've already pulled the truck and coupled it to a TP-50. By then other routes that I would have chosen are gone and I get stuck with the route that the guy that bumped me was supposed to be on.
here i was told if u dont have a bid route they can have u do whatever for your 8 hours . not supose to bump for a route u want. but of course all the whiners get whatever they want. and im stuck with running the route no one elses wants. oh well at least im working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

here i was told if u dont have a bid route they can have u do whatever for your 8 hours . not supose to bump for a route u want. but of course all the whiners get whatever they want. and im stuck with running the route no one elses wants. oh well at least im working.

It's called seniority. You may as well get used to it now because seniority will be a daily part of your UPS career.

Sups are working everywhere. Your petty grievances are a joke. Why don't confront them and ask them to stop? Don't be scared they are people just like you. Or you could just be a coward and file the grievance. It would be too much to ask some college kid why they are working. Make sure you ask because remember they are your boss.
You are a dork I don't work with any college kids if I was scared I wouldn't be filing I would be looking the other way. It is the proper procedure to talk to the supervisor first which I always do. Are you a part-time supervisor you sound like one with very little experience in labor relations.:dissapointed:

Think about your statement, read it again. If everybody is working what are you filing about? Should they be calling the boogey man to deliver the packages?
If ups hasen't hired drivers in 2+ years they have no case. We have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 30 guys retire in this time span so ups supervisors can do bargaining unit work I should think not. Sorry I didn't clarify that first.

I do not see how a coward files a grievance. I do see how a coward violates the contract, lies to new employees (i.e. makes up rules as they go along with no regard for the actual rules), etc.

For ex: just yesterday our P/T and friend/T supervisors were telling new hires that they could send them home, with no notice, unpaid, as long as the new-hire did not touch a package for the day.

Making up rules as they go along rather than deal with the contract that UPS and the Teamsters negotiated - which clearly states that the employee is given at least 1 hour notice they are not needed.

I would always "talk things through" if management had good intentions to begin with. Unfortunately 85% of supervisors, PT or FT, do not have good intentions when the cards are dealt.

P.S. new avatar for our friend UPSSOCKS. :)
1+

UPSSOCKS

I do ask them to stop. I am always polite and inform them that they should not be working according to the contract. I use words like please and thank you.I always introduce myself(most know who I am) and ask them if they would please get the hub manager on the radio and come to that particular area so I can speak with him about the infraction. I do this on my own time after I punch out of my area.
The coward part comes in on the part of management.When they see me walking the hub they get on the radio and tell the sups to stop working. Pretty sneaky and cowardly I think.
I actually had a manager say to me "stop harassing my people" to which I responded that I was just informing them as to their responsibilty to the contract.

Ok I am with you... Only because you punch out and then try to handle the situation. Way too many people try to investigate contract violations on the clock. When I see people on the clock filing grievances and investigating violations, I make it very hard on them. You handle the situation the correct way and if you worked for me we would never have any problems. AND I would treat you with the dignity and respect you deserve... Thanks for being one of the few good ones....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ok I am with you... Only because you punch out and then try to handle the situation. Way too many people try to investigate contract violations on the clock. When I see people on the clock filing grievances and investigating violations, I make it very hard on them. You handle the situation the correct way and if you worked for me we would never have any problems. AND I would treat you with the dignity and respect you deserve... Thanks for being one of the few good ones....

Nice stance, typical of the bottom barrel supervisors at UPS.

All stewards are granted TIME ON THE CLOCK to investigate grievances. This is contract language that YOU cannot manipulate nor deny that. So if you want to play the game, play it, and act like an overgrown child ON the clock.

Do not imply what is correct and what isn't when YOU aren't willing to play the game "correctly" to begin with.

JonFrum

Don't you remember personally negotiating and signing the Collective Bargaining Agreement?

ARTICLE 4 --- STEWARDS
. . . Recognizing the importance of the role of the Union Steward in resolving problems or disputes between UPSSOCKS and his employees, UPSSOCKS reaffirms his commitment to the active involvement of union stewards in such processes in accordance with the terms of this Article.

The Job Steward or the designated alternate shall be permitted reasonable time to investigate, present and process grievances on UPSSOCKS' property without interruption of UPSSOCKS' operation. Upon notification to his or her supervisor, a steward shall be afforded the right to leave his/her work area for a reasonable period of time to investigate, present and process grievances and to represent a fellow troublemaker concerning grievances or discipline so long as such activity does not interrupt UPSSOCKS' operations. UPSSOCKS will make a reasonable effort to insure that his operations are not interrupted by the steward’s engaging in such activity. UPSSOCKS shall not use interruption of his operation as a subterfuge for denying such right to the steward.

Where mutually agreed to by the Local Union and UPSSOCKS, stewards may investigate off the property or other than during their regular schedule, without loss of time or pay. Stewards will be paid for time spent in meetings under this Article which occur during the steward’s regular working hours. Stewards shall also be paid for time spent in meetings which occur outside his or her working hours, or on days off, by mutual consent. Such time spent during the Job Steward’s or the designated alternate’s regular working hours shall be considered working hours in computing daily and/or weekly overtime if within the regular schedule of the Job Steward or the designated alternate.

UPSSOCKS recognizes his minions' right to be given requested representation by a Steward, or the designated alternate, at such time as the peon reasonably contemplates disciplinary action. UPSSOCKS also recognizes the steward’s right to be given requested representation by another Steward, or the designated alternate, at such time as the Steward reasonably contemplates disciplinary action. When requested by the Union or a chronic complainer, there shall be a steward present whenever UPSSOCKS meets with an isolated, disgruntled, malcontent concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews.

In such cases, the meeting shall not be continued until the steward or alternate steward is present. . . .

Jon, very good, except you gave UPSSOCKS the opportunity to disregard your reply due to rewording the actual text. i.e., if you substitute UPSOCKS for UPS and "troublemaker" for the actual wording, he could claim you changed much more. JMHO. But you are correct in your efforts.

brownrod

If you have that much seniority, why can't you bid on a route? Cover driving may be less boring, but a route lets you build up real area knowledge and get to know the customers.

It's not that he can't bid on a route, he doesn't want to. I don't either. There are only a handful of routes in my center I would ever bid on. Until then, I'd rather remain a FT driver without a bid route. I would never want to get stuck on a route with bad numbers, crappy customers, etc...

brownrod

Full time cover driver is a bid position. Trplnkl was a FT cover driver if I recall correctly. They are guaranteed to work every day but may not know what route they are on until they walk in the door.

No. I'm in the same area as 1989. Full time cover driver is not a bid position. WE are just full time drivers without a bid route. We don't bid on being a cover driver. All full time drivers start out as cover drivers and do so until they have enough seniority to get a route (usually 5-10 years). Some of us are too picky to bid on a route.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No. I'm in the same area as 1989. Full time cover driver is not a bid position. WE are just full time drivers without a bid route. We don't bid on being a cover driver. All full time drivers start out as cover drivers and do so until they have enough seniority to get a route (usually 5-10 years). Some of us are too picky to bid on a route.
Same here BR. I had the opportunity to have a bidded rte 2 yrs ago. I chose to pass it up because of one p/u acct. That acct is a high volume, high weight per piece acct and I didn't want to kill my back having to deal with it day in and day out. In the end the rte was dissolved anyway.

I actually don't mind being a cover. I know most of the rtes well enough now that I don't have any problem with them. I have my favorites and I have enough seniority to get one of them, most of the time.

UPSSOCKS

Umm I'm laid off but I still have a job, still have my benifits, and still have what little senority I have. I think I stay in the UNION .

Stay in the union, and keep a job going no where fast. When you retire you probably won't be able to lift your arms...