Just got Laid off

UPSSOCKS

Nice stance, typical of the bottom barrel supervisors at UPS.

All stewards are granted TIME ON THE CLOCK to investigate grievances. This is contract language that YOU cannot manipulate nor deny that. So if you want to play the game, play it, and act like an overgrown child ON the clock.

Do not imply what is correct and what isn't when YOU aren't willing to play the game "correctly" to begin with.

I can manipulate anything I want. That is what I do. And guess what, you have to deal with it. Actually you have to like it because I want you to. I get what I want you don't. I punish employees for doing union buisness on the clock. Because who cares about union buisness.. You guys have no buisness: work as instructed and give your dues to the highest bidder.

UPSGUY72

Stay in the union, and keep a job going no where fast. When you retire you probably won't be able to lift your arms...

I don't need to go anywhere fast at $30 +++ hr, basically free health insurance, etc.

Atleast I'll be able to retired most people these days can't retire becasue they don't have a pension or 401K and can't save a dime becasue they make less than half of what a UPS driver makes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At least I'll be able to retire most people these days can't retire becasue they don't have a pension or 401K and can't save a dime becasue they make less than half of what a UPS driver makes.

You would be amazed how many people who make what we make and more will also be unable to retire as they can't save a dime.

Depression era people are prolific savers.

Baby Boomers and Generation Me couldn't spell save if you spotted them the s a v e.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Nice stance, typical of the bottom barrel supervisors at UPS.

All stewards are granted TIME ON THE CLOCK to investigate grievances. This is contract language that YOU cannot manipulate nor deny that. So if you want to play the game, play it, and act like an overgrown child ON the clock.

Do not imply what is correct and what isn't when YOU aren't willing to play the game "correctly" to begin with.

Sleeve,
I understand that stewards can investigate on the clock and also should be paid while representing other employees according to the master agreement.
My off the clock wonderings are preventative in nature and approved by the local.Sups working in our hub gets out of hand from time to time and my circling the place helps keep it in check.It also gives me a chance to make sure the people know who their steward is.

DazedandConfused

It's called seniority. You may as well get used to it now because seniority will be a daily part of your UPS career.
I think that is a load of crap. Technically, Seniority is only supposed to allow you to work over someone with less Seniority, not to be able to pick and choose what you want to run each day. As long as you work, you are supposed to do what you are scheduled to do and not be able to bump someone lower than you to get an easier route. But like it was mentioned earlier, the whiners usually will get their way. Same goes for bids. In our center if an area is cut, that driver is allowed to bump another off their bid route, which I also think is BS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your opinion of seniority matters little to me. It is what it is. We have all been there and have all been on both sides of the seniority issue. When I was a casual and I had seniority over other casuals your damn right I would choose which route I was going to run. As far as the driver bumping another driver, he can only bump the lowest seniority driver working that day, not any driver/route that he chooses. That would be unfair. Bumping the lowest seniority driver is simply part of the deal.

Kid, you are in a Union shop and had better get used to Seniority as you will be dealing with it for the remainder of your 30+ years. I say 30+ as you are from Upstate NY, as am I, and our retirement age for full/normal pension has been raised to 57 so, depending on your age, you may/may not be able to retire with 30 years at full pension. I will be 58 w/30.

DazedandConfused

Your opinion of seniority matters little to me. It is what it is. We have all been there and have all been on both sides of the seniority issue. When I was a casual and I had seniority over other casuals your damn right I would choose which route I was going to run. As far as the driver bumping another driver, he can only bump the lowest seniority driver working that day, not any driver/route that he chooses. That would be unfair. Bumping the lowest seniority driver is simply part of the deal.

Kid, you are in a Union shop and had better get used to Seniority as you will be dealing with it for the remainder of your 30+ years. I say 30+ as you are from Upstate NY, as am I, and our retirement age for full/normal pension has been raised to 57 so, depending on your age, you may/may not be able to retire with 30 years at full pension. I will be 58 w/30.

The lowest senior guy should get the bump.....I totally agree. but the affected driver is getting to choose his run if they want to. That is the BS part to me. I will be 75/w30.......Ain't no way in hell that will happen.

DazedandConfused

May not make sense, but is in the book that way. In our book it is an amendment under article 57. If their job is cut, they may displace the most junior seniority person in that starting time. I imagine it goes from that point down to the non-bid drivers as well.

govols019

You smell that?
Here, if a bid route gets cut then the driver can bump any junior non-bid driver. A bid driver cannot be bumped unless there are no unassigned routes.

Ptrunner

I can manipulate anything I want. That is what I do. And guess what, you have to deal with it. Actually you have to like it because I want you to. I get what I want you don't. I punish employees for doing union buisness on the clock. Because who cares about union buisness.. You guys have no buisness: work as instructed and give your dues to the highest bidder.

You can try to punish all you want, once a grievance is filled out and goes to hearing, YOU as in management will lose because this is no grey area, this is not following the contract straight up. It wont take a mediator to figure this one out. When my steward is on the clock, I do not do any investigating but stay on task with my job. Once Im off the clock then i pursue my investigations. There are days when my steward is gone and since I am the alternative steward, I can investigate on the clock and theres really nothing you can do about it. If you want to play games, I nickel and dime you with 1-2 minute grievances. Lets not waste higher up managements time or play elementary games. Sooner or later the higher ups will be telling you to lay off because they are sick of all these grievances coming through.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
You would be amazed how many people who make what we make and more will also be unable to retire as they can't save a dime.

Depression era people are prolific savers.

Baby Boomers and Generation Me couldn't spell save if you spotted them the s a v e.

Another thread tells the truth.

Only average balance in teamsters 401k is 17,000... that is disgusting but I don't worry about anybody else but myself.......

UPSSOCKS

I don't know what you don't understand. I do punish. I have gone to arbitration and lost. I have gone and won, but no matter what, the person that wasted company time and my time will be punished. I encourage union members to file greivances, because after it is all said and done, I have a fun project to work on. I work in a top five building based on size, and it is also a top five according to union workforce. It's not like i work in a small center. Tonight for example I had six part time supervisors loading on a belt. The steward came by and said "what's going on here" I said "what does it look like?" He said if I didn't pay him for the work that was being done he would file, I said "that's what we have a grievance process for, but don't forget what happens when you file." I settled the 12 hour greivance with a coffee and three cookies. See it's easy for us to do whatever we want because you don't care about one another, the best part is about tonight I sent the union employees home on that belt at their guaranteed 3.5 and had six sups clean it up for a $2.30 cafeteria bill...........

Last edited by a moderator:

gostillerz

I'm a bottom seniority reg/temp driver (without 30 days in yet), and bottom seniority guy for reload shift. I call in at 7:00am, then at 5:00pm and 7:00am on Saturdays. I can't even get another job since I'm always on call. I wish they'd lay me off!

upsman68

I don't know what you don't understand. I do punish. I have gone to arbitration and lost. I have gone and won, but no matter what, the person that wasted company time and my time will be punished. I encourage union members to file greivances, because after it is all said and done, I have a fun project to work on. I work in a top five building based on size, and it is also a top five according to union workforce. It's not like i work in a small center. Tonight for example I had six part time supervisors loading on a belt. The steward came by and said "what's going on here" I said "what does it look like?" He said if I didn't pay him for the work that was being done he would file, I said "that's what we have a grievance process for, but don't forget what happens when you file." I settled the 12 hour greivance with a coffee and three cookies. See it's easy for us to do whatever we want because you don't care about one another, the best part is about tonight I sent the union employees home on that belt at their guaranteed 3.5 and had six sups clean it up for a $2.30 cafeteria bill...........

"Since your here and I'm here, isn't our time"

sincerely Jeff Spicoli.

flltmmr

We have layoffs here as well, my question is: if you take unemployment in lieu of bumping part-timers, do you have to pay for your weekly H&W benefits for the weeks not worked? I cannot find anything that addresses this specifically in the Master, the Supplement, or the Local Rider...I'm guessing that because it is not addressed that it means you have to pay your benefits which basically nullifies anything you get from unemployment, talk about a catch-22. Anybody know for sure?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, if you are offered the opportunity to get your 8 hours by bumping back to the inside, working both the preload and metro, why wouldn't you? If the thought of bumping a PTer concerns you, that is simply part of working in a union shop and is not personal. Working on the inside during your layoff will ensure that you keep your benefits and continue to accrue hours toward your pension.

What you are talking about is called Cobra.