Just Hired as High Value associate..what to expect?

rej277

title says it all.

I applied for box handler, but then later decided I didn't really want the job (mainly because I'm not really in shape). The HR guy called me however and told me that he wanted me to be a High Value Associate.

He told me that it's less endless box moving, and that I'd be getting paid more than a handler. Of course I accepted.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing though. I start in 2 weeks, and he told me that I basically have a cart and make sure that insured boxes go where they need to go, and that I get proper signatures.

Can anyone here chime in? Is it a harder job physically than being a handler? What about mentally? Am I going to hate my job?:happy2:

ikoi62

all depends on where you are. the hi value guys in my building are non-union. no benefits no paid holidays just a per hour rate at about $11 a hour.they do just what you were told. 1 is a fulltimer but he works 2 shifts. the other 2 are replaced often.

rej277

Thanks for the reply. Yeah It's the facility in Northern Virginia which I was told was one of the busier ones in the region. I'll be getting $13.50 an hour (which beats the hell out of $8.25 at my other job) and I don't really mind getting no paid-holidays. It'll be a part time early morning shift.

curiousbrain

I do the HV's in the building where I am employed, among other things. Depending on your other responsibilities, it can be frustrating; but if your only responsibility is HV, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Before the shift is interesting, as the "forecast" does not sometimes include all the HV's you will receive, so you have to check ACM Prealert for NDA coming out of Worldport or other places, and sometimes others just randomly populate during the day. Sometimes drivers DR a high value, as well, so you have to be checking for exceptions every morning, as well. That being said, if my only responsibility was HV, I'd sit around with my feet up all day.

Alas, it's not and I don't; and, I work in a small building, so I imagine things are a bit different in the larger centers/hubs.

rej277

Before the shift is interesting, as the "forecast" does not sometimes include all the HV's you will receive, so you have to check ACM Prealert for NDA coming out of Worldport or other places, and sometimes others just randomly populate during the day. Sometimes drivers DR a high value, as well, so you have to be checking for exceptions every morning, as well. That being said, if my only responsibility was HV, I'd sit around with my feet up all day.

Alas, it's not and I don't; and, I work in a small building, so I imagine things are a bit different in the larger centers/hubs.

bro I have no idea what those terms are lol.

Also I guess my biggest question is, do you like your job?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes drivers DR a high value, as well, so you have to be checking for exceptions every morning, as well.

The only time that we know we have a HV is if we sign for it in the morning; other than that, we have no idea and, except for obviously expensive electronic equipment, if it is a safe DR then we DR them.

curiousbrain

The only time that we know we have a HV is if we sign for it in the morning; other than that, we have no idea and, except for obviously expensive electronic equipment, if it is a safe DR then we DR them.

I can't speak for all HV clerks, but one thing I do in the morning is draw up sheets that I stick a PAL label to that matches the one on the box; then, I put that sheet with the package. No signing involved; it's just an extra step so the drivers know they have it, can verify the information/consignee, and I keep a copy in case an HV goes missing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't speak for all HV clerks, but one thing I do in the morning is draw up sheets that I stick a PAL label to that matches the one on the box; then, I put that sheet with the package. No signing involved; it's just an extra step so the drivers know they have it, can verify the information/consignee, and I keep a copy in case an HV goes missing.

We have to physically sign for any HV $5K or more in value. When we deliver we have to get an autograph and have to put HV in the remarks column. We also have to ODS the center to let them know we delivered the HV.

curiousbrain

We have to physically sign for any HV $5K or more in value. When we deliver we have to get an autograph and have to put HV in the remarks column. We also have to ODS the center to let them know we delivered the HV.

Things are obviously different between facilities ... I've seen very expensive packages DR'd. And, no messages are ever ODS'd.

OCRookie

You mean there are buildings where High Values actually get special treatment? Ours go down the belt just like the rest....of course with a few more fragile stickers on it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Thanks for the reply. Yeah It's the facility in Northern Virginia which I was told was one of the busier ones in the region. I'll be getting $13.50 an hour (which beats the hell out of $8.25 at my other job) and I don't really mind getting no paid-holidays. It'll be a part time early morning shift.

the guy who hired you is a close friend of mine. which facility is it?

jaker

trolling
The only thing I ask from the HV guys is put a sig req sticker on it , so I know it's a HV if no sticker I will forget that HV quicker then the PCM