Knee Replacement and still working?

ikoi62

yes in the center i work in we have a guy who had his knee replaced..you would never know he had it do unless you see the scars.

sendagain

I was hiking out of the Yosemite Valley one year, up a steep trail which eventually became snowbound. A man and his wife followed me up to the rim, and he claimed to have recently had a knee replacement. I stopped at Stanford Point and ate lunch, while he and his wife pushed on to the next point up the rim. I couldn't believe the man was trying that on a brand new knee. I guess these knee operations can be pretty effective.

rod

Retired 22 years
no- but I know a lot that need one (or 2) replacements when they retire. Along with back surgery and some mental health counceling thrown in.:)

upshawk

I've had both hips replaced and I've been back to work for almost a year. I have not felt this good in years. I injured my hip when i was
a teenager and it finally wore out. It eventually messed up my other hip. I've got about 10 years left until retirement. Doctors say I should be able to make retirement. He said the materials they use
in joint replacement are able to last longer and are able to withstand
tremendous wear and tear.

helenofcalifornia

Hey UPShawk, did UPS hassle (sp?) you in anyway? How long were you out? Workers comp or disability? And you really feel a whole lot better?? Like night and Day?? I am gimping along on a knee that my doctor says I should wait as long as possible to get replaced because they wear out in about 10 years. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

W

wonderboy

I read an article recently about a guy that had complications with is knee replacement surgery just a couple years ago and then needed to have his leg amputated above the knee. I'll try to find that link. He wasn't with UPS.

helenofcalifornia

In California every time you are injured and are off the job, they rate you a certain percentage disabled. One driver in our center had a bad knee and was rated 22% disabled, was paid $20,000 and came back to work. (Of course he had to sign off with Workers Comp) If you are over 50% disabled, UPS has the option of not taking you back. The conundrum is that you are rated a percentage disabled yet you are certified that you are 100% fit and able to go back to work. Hmmm... I need a new knee, have had previous injuries with UPS and am worried about them not taking me back. I know, I know, I will talk to them.

upshawk

I had both hips replaced. I was off a total of 7 months. the first 6 months were short term disability. Doctors would've cleared me but
I talked them into an additional month because of the nature of my job. I had it done 1st week in june of 2005 because to get credit
for a full year of pension you need 20 weeks. I'm 41 years old and
I'm 10 years away from 30 and right now I plan on finishing up the
ten years if I can. Work didn't hassle me too much but with my bad
hips I couldn't walk at the brisk UPS pace required so my production
suffered. Some days I would be an hour over. They knew about my
hips but I performed adequately except for running over every day
close to an hour. The last year before I had my surgery they started riding with me on methods rides to "help" me get in earlier
but they knew my methods weren't that bad. I just couldn't walk fast! Joint replacement isn't considered a disability and I've passed
my DOT physical. I've been back working 9 months and feel
excellent. I can run under if I choose and nothing is ever mentioned
about it. I don't know if a hip replacement is easier than a knee
but I'm pretty much back to normal. Except for the rides before they haven't hassled me. If anything I think they're surprised to
see me back moving so well! :thumbup1:

trickpony1

HelenofCalifornia-
So five people don't post telling me I'm not a doctor, can I make a suggestion?
Have you tried strength training and conditioning for your knees? No, I'm not talking about world class Olympic power lifting I'm talking about consulting a physical therapist.
The PT could give you a list of exercises for the muscles of your legs that attach above and below the knee, thereby strengthening the connective tissue of the respective muscle and supporting the knee more.
Stretching the hamstring and calf muscles help also as they can become tight and apply uneven pressure to the knee joint.
Give it a try but don't expect results overnight.
Good Luck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know two people, neither drivers, and the one it helped, the other it did not, various reasons I really think it all depends on how you approach the rehab. But as for me I would take trickpony advice. Anything you can do to avoid surgery is definetely worth a try. Surgery should always be your last option, unless of course there are no options.

helenofcalifornia

Thanks for the advice. The recommendations for physical exercise actually was one I was following before. I was going to the club and doing about one hour of exercise a day (1/2 hour on the bike and about 20 minutes on the eliptical) which got me back into shape coming back from an injury. (you know, if you have been out on a prolonged injury-6 months or more-you gain 20 pounds) My knee felt better with all the exercise but when you are working, who feels like going to the gym and exercising for an hour either before or after work. (My doctor says UPS doesn't qualify as exercise (cardio) because my body thinks this is normal and if I don't do it I will gain weight-hence the 20 pounds)
So I think I will get back on the "horse" and go back to the gym once again for the sake of my knee. Goodby family, again. I finish work at 7-7:30 every night and now will try to go to the gym. Thank God my kids aren't that young and can kinda understand. That and cell phones are my salvation in keeping a handle on things at home.
Thanks again for the second opinions.

wily_old_vet

In California every time you are injured and are off the job, they rate you a certain percentage disabled. One driver in our center had a bad knee and was rated 22% disabled, was paid $20,000 and came back to work. (Of course he had to sign off with Workers Comp) If you are over 50% disabled, UPS has the option of not taking you back. The conundrum is that you are rated a percentage disabled yet you are certified that you are 100% fit and able to go back to work. Hmmm... I need a new knee, have had previous injuries with UPS and am worried about them not taking me back. I know, I know, I will talk to them.

Helen-After my first back surgery (I've had 3) I had the same fear that I would not be allowed to come back to the job. Totally unfounded fear. My back was rated at 30% disabled (5% previous and 25% from that particular injury) and I came back after 11 months. Other than getting back in to work shape it was no problem. And this piece of advice is to all who are returning to work from injuries. NEVER come back on a Monday even if they promise that they will ease you back into the flow of work. Had a UPS nurse tell me no one should ever come back before Wednesday. I came back from that first back surgery on a Monday and was nearly dead by Friday. First day back was a 10 + hour dispatch. The supervisor with me took mercy and delivered the last 20 stops.

C

Comp answer's needed?

Here workers comp pays you for your disability rating. A 12% will get you half of your comp wages for 36 weeks. And you continue to be covered under comp as long as you see comp dr within 1 year from the last appointment. Sometimes they may try and settle your case by offering you a certain amount of $$$ for you to sign off your injury,of course most times this will require you to resign also.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
I had my Knee replaced in October---been almost 1 year. I had Arthroscopic surgery on the same knee 20 years ago---finally caught up with me.Liberty Mutual is trying to settle the case and wanting me to sign off on Permanent & Stationary-----------everything is negotiable!! I wanted a fair settlement and feel that I have finally got to that point.I drove for 13 years and was in the ofice for the last 20---------it is up to the doctor to determine if yoiu are able to perform the same work--------Knee Replacements can't withstand jumping out of UPS Trucks with any additional weight being carried.

The modern Knee Replacents are done with a computerized allignment software program-------my replaced knee is now my good knee!! Modern Medicine is a great thing----let me know if you have any ?????

7 years later

I had my knee replaced in march of 1999, I was off work a full year before returning to my regular route driving and delivering packages. My Doctor had no idea of what I was going back to, or if I would be able to continue my normal duties. By the time I returned to work, with the exception of my artifical knee I was in the best condition of my life. I was 6' tall , 180 lbs, 49 years old. I worked very hard on my rehab, but knowing what was expected of me on the job I had concerns as to my ability to preform my everyday tasks. My first six months back did not go very well, the getting in and out of my package car 100 to 120 times a day took its toll from the 1st day back. I remember getting home from work and going straight to bed with the pain in my knee being so bad it made me sick. I wondered every morning if I would be able to make it through that days work or if that would be the last time I would be delivering my route. It was not easy but I did make it through and today I am still working my regular route and looking forward to getting my 25 years in next year. When I look back over the whole thing, I always wonder if it would have gone easier if I would have been able to wait a few more months before returning or if the demand of the job would have taken the same road as it did. This is what you can expext when you return to work. Nobody will care how you feel, because there is no way they will know what you have been through with the operation. It can't be explained, it will be the most painful sugery you will ever have. You will be reminded that you are back to do a full days work, you are no differnt than anyone else working here, and if you can't get it done you will not be needed anymore at UPS. The main thing to remember is you are not the same person you were before the sugery and you never will be again. Your normal will be a new normal that you will get used to over time but its not the same. I can't say I made a mistake going back to UPS, because I like being on my own all day and just getting the job done. It is very satisfying...

satellitedriver

I have known several.When the pain gets bad enough you will choose surgery. I know this sounds trite, but the mind heals the body. If you believe you are going to be invalid ,you will be. I have had major surgery that should have been the end of my working career long before I came to work at UPS, so I do not take this subject lightly. Do exactly what the doctor says for the recovery period, then take the advice my surgeon gave me. Go live your life. I believed in myself more after that point than I did before. So, do what you think best and go with my prayers.