Lane Enhancements

Galaxy45MP

Retired Member
What ever happened to the 4-phase lane enhancement program that was announced over a year ago ? At our barn, we were a pretty large part of the first phase when it was implemented about a year and a half ago. Management was very pleased with the success we immediately had in reducing transit time in our area of the country, but no new lanes have been improved upon. Anybody know anything ?? Railroads cave in and drop rates or something ??

raceanoncr

What ever happened to the 4-phase lane enhancement program that was announced over a year ago ? At our barn, we were a pretty large part of the first phase when it was implemented about a year and a half ago. Management was very pleased with the success we immediately had in reducing transit time in our area of the country, but no new lanes have been improved upon. Anybody know anything ?? Railroads cave in and drop rates or something ??

Yeah, I know exactly what happened, at least in our part of the country. We're on a major cross-country Interstate lane but nothing yet.

We asked center manager about it and his stock answer was this, and I quote, "Because FDX hasn't done it here yet"! There you go!
We have become a REACTIVE company instead of a PROACTIVE company.

Galaxy45MP

Retired Member
I know what you are saying about the reactive, proactive thing, and this is exactly what bothers me so much . We are on even keel with FDX in the lanes that have been improved . If UPS had done this 20 years ago, RPS/FDX would be but a drip on the floor. I just can't figure out why they haven't been moving faster throughout the country. Still lots of trailors going on the trains here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
most customers will use ups if us and fedex are the same, even though our prices can be higher for some accounts. Why are you going to cut a day off shipping then it eats at higher air profits. dhl is quite quickwith the ground, flying it on their jets...stupid. Its ok now but just wait. Their service still sucks and this isnt a concern with ups at the time. If it was, things would change.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
galaxy, if ups never stopped with the air service in the 30's fedex would not be a company today.That was ups's biggest mistake. But they didnt want to listen to the founder of ups, who wanted to keep the service going.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
galaxy, if ups never stopped with the air service in the 30's fedex would not be a company today.That was ups's biggest mistake. But they didnt want to listen to the founder of ups, who wanted to keep the service going.

Isn't that the truth. I think it was the mid 60s, Jim Casey tried to get the Board of Directors to start back up Air Service. They turned his idea down, concentrating instead on ground expansion through the middle of the United States. This was probably one of the biggest blunders of all time in my opinion.:ohmy:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Isn't that the truth. I think it was the mid 60s, Jim Casey tried to get the Board of Directors to start back up Air Service. They turned his idea down, concentrating instead on ground expansion through the middle of the United States. This was probably one of the biggest blunders of all time in my opinion.:ohmy:
The 2nd biggest blunder was not buying DHL back in the 80's. The rumor was we did not buy them because the did not own anything. Mostly everything was leased or rented!