Large new hub

Anvilandforge

What are your thoughts on larger hubs as opposed to a smaller center? I began working at a very large hub, and you would think larger building = more opportunities, but it also means more employees with higher seniority than me.

The smaller center has more package car drivers, while the larger hub is less of a destination facility and sees more feeders. One advantage is this large facility opened up last year, so is still very new. They're hiring part timers in herds, with many quitting and dropping off as it is a commute for most.

Anybody work at a larger hub? What are experiences as far as career opportunities go?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There are benefits and downfalls to both.

I loved working in a small building because you knew everyone. It was a lot more personal. Everybody knew Joe's wife just had twins and everybody was there to congratulate him for it. You understand everyone better because you interact with them. There may not be as many opportunities, but the stress level was always lower.

A big building has more opportunities. You can blend in a little easier if that is what you want. But, at least in my experience, there is less of a work with each other attitude between hourlies and management. There are a lot more new faces and you feel more like a number in a big mix of people than in a smaller building.

That's just from my POV. I know some guys in my current building who look at me like I'm crazy when I say I loved working in a smaller building. But it's just about what you like.

Box Ox

Don't land at a smaller center if you have any intention of eventually becoming a feeder driver. Some smaller locations have zero feeder positions.

Hellobrown2000

I loved working in a small building because you knew everyone. It was a lot more personal. Everybody knew Joe's wife just had twins and everybody was there to congratulate him for it. You understand everyone better because you interact with them. There may not be as many opportunities, but the stress level was always lower.

A big building has more opportunities. You can blend in a little easier if that is what you want. But, at least in my experience, there is less of a work with each other attitude between hourlies and management. There are a lot more new faces and you feel more like a number in a big mix of people than in a smaller building.

That's just from my POV. I know some guys in my current building who look at me like I'm crazy when I say I loved working in a smaller building. But it's just about what you like.
In a small building. Management vs. Hourlies is horrible. Hourlies vs hourlies is bad. Everyone knows everyone. It's a good old boys club. Become a supervisor fan club member and your gonna work and not get any :censored2:.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have worked in a few buildings, two for a short time 2/5 years, and the hub for the past 9 years or so. I'm looking forward to going back to a
"small" facility. Of course, the small facilities in our local maybe be much larger than outlying/ remote ones in many areas of the world.

Indecisi0n

Everyone knows Joe's wife is easy and BTW she had those kids with driver Tom.

I love and hate working in a small center.

I'd rather disappear among the crowd and do my work and do it well and not be bothered.

Everyone knows everyone and everyone's business.. it can be annoying.. the hourlies who get in the cool kids club and can do no wrong really don't make many friends. They're toxic future-scabs or future-sups, so :censored2:em.

Best part is everyone knows everyone's business.. when someone is hurt we help. When someone is behind, we help. If someone brings a bag lunch and others are hungry we will break bread, so to speak, so we can all have a little something. This job is really for the working poor unless you do something else. Gotta lookout for each other. I like it.

Indecisi0n

I love and hate working in a small center.

I'd rather disappear among the crowd and do my work and do it well and not be bothered.

Everyone knows everyone and everyone's business.. it can be annoying.. the hourlies who get in the cool kids club and can do no wrong really don't make many friends. They're toxic future-scabs or future-sups, so :censored2:em.

Best part is everyone knows everyone's business.. when someone is hurt we help. When someone is behind, we help. If someone brings a bag lunch and others are hungry we will break bread, so to speak, so we can all have a little something. This job is really for the working poor unless you do something else. Gotta lookout for each other. I like it.
What if a driver needs a back rub?

watdaflock?

What are your thoughts on larger hubs as opposed to a smaller center? I began working at a very large hub, and you would think larger building = more opportunities, but it also means more employees with higher seniority than me.

The smaller center has more package car drivers, while the larger hub is less of a destination facility and sees more feeders. One advantage is this large facility opened up last year, so is still very new. They're hiring part timers in herds, with many quitting and dropping off as it is a commute for most.

Anybody work at a larger hub? What are experiences as far as career opportunities go?
Larger hub (most likely) also means, newer/more clueless micromanaging supervisors.