Laying off Dec 1st?

NI1

I heard that my hub will be laying drivers off on December 1st and the memo came from the 'higher' management.

Is it really that bad?:dead:

U

ups man

would not be surprised. that is about the time helpers are beginning to be used. with driver helper teams they will overload the hell out of whatever cars they put on road. so they can eliminate routes. its a good thing they cant use helpers year round.

brownrodster

I would love it if they layed off drivers in december here. My center is out of control and I'm already doing near peak volume and out over 11 hours per day. Now they want us to find our own helpers. Yeah, sure, ok, I'll get right on that.

feeder53

ADKtrails
It has not been a good year but that does not sound correct. Yes on the 26 Dec date Rod....That was the last day I worked last year.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I always look ahead to see where the holidays fall in December. With Dec. 26 and Jan. 2 being fridays, there will be alot of us with long holiday weekends. So might as well stuff the hell out of the trucks and stay out over 12, you'll relax afterwards and watch some football.
I find it very hard to believe they would layoff drivers on Dec. 1. They will probably keep seasonal driver hirings down as much as possible. If you have a job now, I wouldn't worry about it.

outamyway

Wouldn't it be cheaper to layoff fulltime drivers then bring in a bunch of Christmas drivers to do the work at LESS pay?

I know it's not right, but well, this is UPS...

Work right slow and safe

I have been told that they are cutting 5 routes from one center and was told that i may not get to drive this Christmas i have been a cover driver for a year now they are going to use more helpers starting in OCT 15

Overpaid Union Thug

We'll probably all be laughing at all these rumors come January. They all sound like bean counter pipe dreams to me. Once the #$#* hits the fan when we get closer to peak day we'll all see how bad these ideas really are.

rocket man

IT may be true it may not . In our center they are changing the rules they want us to do. but im checking into it the center your in im in cant change rules with out consulting local union. every one check in to that. they told us to dr everything except sig req and buss stops. i mean good bad ratty apts no matter wher it is. looking foward to overtime doing follow ups right in the start of peak.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wouldn't it be cheaper to layoff fulltime drivers then bring in a bunch of Christmas drivers to do the work at LESS pay?

I know it's not right, but well, this is UPS...

I'm sure it would be "cheaper"... but it would also be a gross contract violation, and every seniority employee who was laid off could file a grievance and be paid for all hours worked by a peak season hire. Whoever told you that UPS would be laying off drivers on Dec. 1st is either misinformed or stoned. If you are a seniority driver and you get laid off, then you are entitled to work before any off the street helper can be hired.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
How would I be able to build our company up, if I'm too busy too find strong sales leads ? :sad-little:

If you have a driver job this month, you will have one in December !
Are we all going to drive P1000's?

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
I would love to get paid for someone else doing my job,sounds to good to be true so it is.....................

705red

Browncafe Steward
If they layoff a regular fulltime driver and use helpers instead this would be a grievance. If they bust out your route on a monday and are using helpers this too would be a grievance. If they use air drivers to shuttle grounds, deliver and or pick ups grounds this too is grievable.

stringerman85

I'm sure it would be "cheaper"... but it would also be a gross contract violation, and every seniority employee who was laid off could file a grievance and be paid for all hours worked by a peak season hire. Whoever told you that UPS would be laying off drivers on Dec. 1st is either misinformed or stoned. If you are a seniority driver and you get laid off, then you are entitled to work before any off the street helper can be hired.

Right, I was waiting for someone to say this....I don't think I've ever heard anyone being laid off on December 1st, Its peak season