Layoff

Well last Friday my name was on a layoff list. I have three people ahead of me. Worked in the hub (preload) 2 years before going FT. I put my name in an interested to work list for this week in hopes they will call me. I have three options 1. Go back to the hub after 5 days of being off 2. Collect unemployment until they call me back 3. Move on
What do you guys suggest? Anybody going through or went through the same thing?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If you're still young and were planning on making a career out of UPS I'd go with option 1. Would you still have your seniority?

If you're still young and were planning on making a career out of UPS I'd go with option 1. Would you still have your seniority?

I'm 23 at the moment and would like to make a career out of this. I think that I would have 2 seniority dates. One for inside the hub and one when I started driving.

By The Book

Well last Friday my name was on a layoff list. I have three people ahead of me. Worked in the hub (preload) 2 years before going FT. I put my name in an interested to work list for this week in hopes they will call me. I have three options 1. Go back to the hub after 5 days of being off 2. Collect unemployment until they call me back 3. Move on
What do you guys suggest? Anybody going through or went through the same thing?
Hopefully you saved up some money when you worked peak. What is your seniority date as a full timer? A lot of places have new drivers that were part time for 8 to 10 years on layoff now. I would tell you this is normal and vacations may start soon and you will be driving then. I also heard if they work you on Wednesday they need to work you the rest of the week also. I'm not 100% everyone's layoff language is like this though. Check for how many on vacation for the next 5 weeks and if hardly any you may want to go the unemployment route. The company can try to get you back to work with a 72 hour notice and its best to reply to those.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm 23 at the moment and would like to make a career out of this. I think that I would have 2 seniority dates. One for inside the hub and one when I started driving.
Yes. You would have separate part-time and full-time seniority dates. As long as you get to keep them I'd stick with it.

By The Book

Once you have become a seniority driver that is your only seniority date now. It should be your first day as a driver.

Hopefully you saved up some money when you worked peak. What is your seniority date as a full timer? A lot of places have new drivers that were part time for 8 to 10 years on layoff now. I would tell you this is normal and vacations may start soon and you will be driving then. I also heard if they work you on Wednesday they need to work you the rest of the week also. I'm not 100% everyone's layoff language is like this though. Check for how many on vacation for the next 5 weeks and if hardly any you may want to go the unemployment route. The company can try to get you back to work with a 72 hour notice and its best to reply to those.

Fortunately I did save some money. Working 60hours a week gave me very little time to spend the money I was making lol. There is a lot of do this, do that going around. At this point I wouldn't mind going back in the hub knowing that my spot will soon come. Also I have heard about a lot of vacations coming up after April. Just have to wait and see now.

box_beeyotch

Do if I started in the hub Nov 2012 and stated driving Sept 2014 and I went back in the hub my seniority date would be sept 2014?

Your full time seniority date is Sept 2014, which is what they will compare to other drivers on the roster to determine who has the seniority to work and/or who is laid off.

fres431

You would bump low seniority part time hub worker, since you've been laid off from full time. Depending on what supplemental your in you may need to double shift to obtain x hrs month for health care.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Somebody always gets hurt and vacations will be starting. They shouldn't be hiring casuals either if there are layoffs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do if I started in the hub Nov 2012 and stated driving Sept 2014 and I went back in the hub my seniority date would be sept 2014?
Sounds like you need to go to a few Union meetings and get a copy of the contract.

It really sounds like you have no clue how this works.