lazy ups guy...

kriswalt

To the contrary, we do have a safety committee co-chair/driver that hasn't run his bid route more than a handful of times in the last 2 years.
He works 55+ hrs a week, has his own desk and computer in the supes office, and is of similar dimensions as the woman in the video.
So I guess it's possible that it was a CHSP driver???

We have one of those too. He spy on other drivers and report them. He run the "safety" department at our center.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It seems like this guy make us look bad. I'm sure there are you tube videos of MacDonalds employees doing disgusting things yet the place is packed all day. The general public gives a collective yawn and moves on.

ymelord

I think this driver is on to something, you can pull beside the fence in the front yard, and drop the flat screen tv over while standing on the step, much easier. He's or she has one uped fedix.

for the record driver still a dumb :censored2:

btdriver68

The only thing the driver did wrong was not stopping and let the idiot who was filming him drive by. You cant park on the side of a busy 4-lane highway. The driver had to get off the road to make a safe delivery. It appears that when the driver went to get back on the road he could not.Because some busy body was driving too slow(so they could get a good shot) and clogging up traffic. The driver was just trying to get back on the road. He was going slow hoping this person would pass him, so he could enter the highway. The driver just should have stopped and let the car get out of his way.

This is barely worth a warning letter

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The only thing the driver did wrong was not stopping and let the idiot who was filming him drive by. You cant park on the side of a busy 4-lane highway. The driver had to get off the road to make a safe delivery. It appears that when the driver went to get back on the road he could not.Because some busy body was driving too slow(so they could get a good shot) and clogging up traffic. The driver was just trying to get back on the road. He was going slow hoping this person would pass him, so he could enter the highway. The driver just should have stopped and let the car get out of his way.

This is barely worth a warning letter

LMAO!! You couldn't have typed that with a straight face

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OK, I got on YouTube and watched the entire video from start to finish with an open mind and tried to put myself in the shoes of the driver and figure out what he was thinking. The video is 18 seconds long, and what it shows is a driver who drives on the sidewalk at low speed and crosses over a total of 3 driveways before parking on a 4th in order to (presumeably) get out and make a delivery. Here are some facts to consider.

(a) The road he is on is a multi-lane road in a school zone with no on street parking.
(b) The driver is in a P-1000
(c) The driver (presumably) had stops for multiple homes on the same block.
(d) The driver had another vehicle (the one that recorded the video) right behind him.

So lets discuss what the driver's options were for making these deliveries.

We are instructed to avoid backing whenever possible. We are also instructed to stay out of residential driveways. Since there was no on street parking, the drivers other options in this case were to:

(a) Turn on 4-ways, park in the street, and block an entire lane of traffic (in a school zone) while walking off the stop twice in once block.

(b) Nose in to the driveway in a P-1000 in order to get off the street, and then try to turn around in the customers driveway prior to making the delivery.

(c) Swing to the left (temporarily blocking both lanes) and then back into the customers driveway in order to get off of the street twice in one block.

(d) Swing to the left and back in to the driveway of the first stop in order to get off of the street, and then walk the second stop off while parking in and blocking the first driveway.

Every one of these options has risks associated with it. Any time we put the car in reverse, it creates a risk. Every time we enter the customers driveway with a package car, it creates a risk. Any time we (illegally) block an entire lane of traffic while walking a stop off, it creates a risk.

One could make a legitimate argument that, in this particular case, the drivers decision to drive on the sidewalk (despite being illegal) was actually the safest choice that was available to him. He avoided backing; he stayed out of residential driveways; and he avoided blocking an entire lane of traffic in a school zone. It is also worth pointing out that, no matter what choice the driver made, had an accident occured he would have been charged with it and told that he should have done something different. Hindsight is always 20/20, and its even better than that when employed from behind a desk.

My personal choice....based upon the 18 seconds of video that I saw on YouTube....probably would have been option "D". I would have backed into the first driveway to get safely off of the street and walked both stops off from that point. But I wasnt there and I didnt see what our driver saw. I am NOT defending his decision, all I am doing is pointing out that his decision probably had NOTHING to do with "laziness" at all.

Island

I'm sure it can all be easily explained as production harassment. Too many stops, absolutely no CHSP presence at his operation, and he finally just lost it after his on-road told him that morning that the company was watching his "lack of real production numbers." Clearly, he was trying to work faster. The sidewalk in an active schoolzone thing - that's just because he doesn't know any better because management doesn't care about that sort of thing 99% of the time.

bbsam

Staff member
I cant tell from the video whether there is any parking on the cross-street or not. We also dont know how long the block actually is.
True. But even if it's two city blocks long, it's no different than having multiple stops in a mall. There has to be a more appropriate way of making the deliveries. Could you tell if there is an alley?

kingOFchester

OK, I got on YouTube and watched the entire video from start to finish with an open mind and tried to put myself in the shoes of the driver and figure out what he was thinking. The video is 18 seconds long, and what it shows is a driver who drives on the sidewalk at low speed and crosses over a total of 3 driveways before parking on a 4th in order to (presumeably) get out and make a delivery. Here are some facts to consider.

(a) The road he is on is a multi-lane road in a school zone with no on street parking.
(b) The driver is in a P-1000
(c) The driver (presumably) had stops for multiple homes on the same block.
(d) The driver had another vehicle (the one that recorded the video) right behind him.

So lets discuss what the driver's options were for making these deliveries.

We are instructed to avoid backing whenever possible. We are also instructed to stay out of residential driveways. Since there was no on street parking, the drivers other options in this case were to:

(a) Turn on 4-ways, park in the street, and block an entire lane of traffic (in a school zone) while walking off the stop twice in once block.

(b) Nose in to the driveway in a P-1000 in order to get off the street, and then try to turn around in the customers driveway prior to making the delivery.

(c) Swing to the left (temporarily blocking both lanes) and then back into the customers driveway in order to get off of the street twice in one block.

(d) Swing to the left and back in to the driveway of the first stop in order to get off of the street, and then walk the second stop off while parking in and blocking the first driveway.

Every one of these options has risks associated with it. Any time we put the car in reverse, it creates a risk. Every time we enter the customers driveway with a package car, it creates a risk. Any time we (illegally) block an entire lane of traffic while walking a stop off, it creates a risk.

One could make a legitimate argument that, in this particular case, the drivers decision to drive on the sidewalk (despite being illegal) was actually the safest choice that was available to him. He avoided backing; he stayed out of residential driveways; and he avoided blocking an entire lane of traffic in a school zone. It is also worth pointing out that, no matter what choice the driver made, had an accident occured he would have been charged with it and told that he should have done something different. Hindsight is always 20/20, and its even better than that when employed from behind a desk.

My personal choice....based upon the 18 seconds of video that I saw on YouTube....probably would have been option "D". I would have backed into the first driveway to get safely off of the street and walked both stops off from that point. But I wasnt there and I didnt see what our driver saw. I am NOT defending his decision, all I am doing is pointing out that his decision probably had NOTHING to do with "laziness" at all.

For the record, I have always had the utmost respect for your posts on BC. I do not always agree with you, but I respect your views. But, as far as this video, I think you are reaching. Just my opinion. I do agree that this video has nothing to do with laziness and more in line with stupidity. I understand we do not know the entire situation, but driving down a sidewalk, in a school zone certainly appears to be a poor decision at best. From the video there is a left turn lane at the point where he stopped to, presumably, make a delivery. Pulling close to the curb and allowing traffic to use the left turn lane to navigate around truck would of been a better choice then driving down a sidewalk. Again, JMHO. Yes, I would be at risk and certainly risking an avoidable accident if I got rear ended. However, a lot easier to suck up and explain t then explaining why I ran over some kid on a bike after he came flying out of a driveway and getting hit by the truck as I drive down a sidewalk.

Maybe my center is different from yours and that is why I see it a little different. My center has some great drivers. But there are a few that do things that make you say WTF?

Question, Had the title of the video been "Lazy UPS on-car supervisor makes delivery", would your view and comment be any different?

soberups

True. But even if it's two city blocks long, it's no different than having multiple stops in a mall. There has to be a more appropriate way of making the deliveries. Could you tell if there is an alley?

I cant tell if there is an alley, and I would tend to agree that there is a more appropriate way of making the deliveries, such as backing into one of the driveways in order to get off of the street. My only point..is that it is all too easy to sit there on the couch and make a rush to judgement based upon an attention-grabbing "lazy UPS guy" headline and 18 seconds of smartphone video. The reality of the situation is usually a bit more complicated.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This can't be the first time there has been a delivery on this particular block by UPS in the last hundred years. I'm sure the previous drivers found a more appropriate way.

bbsam

Staff member
I cant tell if there is an alley, and I would tend to agree that there is a more appropriate way of making the deliveries, such as backing into one of the driveways in order to get off of the street. My only point..is that it is all too easy to sit there on the couch and make a rush to judgement based upon an attention-grabbing "lazy UPS guy" headline and 18 seconds of smartphone video. The reality of the situation is usually a bit more complicated.
I had a driver complaining about a tight drive where he couldn't safely turn a P1200 and I told him the same thing. Parking on the street meant he had to walk about 75 yards with a two wheeler to pick up 10 to 15 pieces everyday. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but how is it different than having multiple stops at a mall?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a driver complaining about a tight drive where he couldn't safely turn a P1200 and I told him the same thing. Parking on the street meant he had to walk about 75 yards with a two wheeler to pick up 10 to 15 pieces everyday. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but how is it different than having multiple stops at a mall?

We have to deal with this thing called SPORH.

soberups

For the record, I have always had the utmost respect for your posts on BC. I do not always agree with you, but I respect your views. But, as far as this video, I think you are reaching. Just my opinion. I do agree that this video has nothing to do with laziness and more in line with stupidity. I understand we do not know the entire situation, but driving down a sidewalk, in a school zone certainly appears to be a poor decision at best. From the video there is a left turn lane at the point where he stopped to, presumably, make a delivery. Pulling close to the curb and allowing traffic to use the left turn lane to navigate around truck would of been a better choice then driving down a sidewalk. Again, JMHO. Yes, I would be at risk and certainly risking an avoidable accident if I got rear ended. However, a lot easier to suck up and explain t then explaining why I ran over some kid on a bike after he came flying out of a driveway and getting hit by the truck as I drive down a sidewalk.

Blocking a lane of traffic creates a blind spot. If a child stepped out onto the road from in front of the package car (that was illegally parked on the road) and was hit by a passing car, the driver would be charged with the accident and told that he should have parked somewhere else.