lazy ups guy...

kingOFchester

I have tried to find this spot on google maps with no luck. Would like to see it from an aerial point of view.

However, I would not drive on a sidewalk, let alone in a truck. Unless I happen to be playing GTA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a street similar to this (the only difference is it is not in a school zone) which does not have on-street parking. I put my 4 ways about a half a block ahead of where I am going to stop and park in the street. Cars have a travel lane to get around me and there are three crosswalks for pedestrians. The housing on this street is off-campus student housing and the deliveries are knock, drop and go.

kingOFchester

OK.

2 questions.

1 Where do you think the driver started to drive on the sidewalk?? Its a long way from the cross street behind him!!
2 Where in the hell did he exit the sidewalk after delivery??

rod

Retired 22 years
Looks like one of those places where you ask your sup or center manager to put it in writing just how they want you to deliver that area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FOUND IT!!

740 Northwest 34th Street, Gainesville, FL look at google maps.

You can still see his tire tracks. I can now understand (somewhat) his thinking but I still would not have driven on the sidewalk. I would have pulled off the road on to the grassy area between the two driveways, which would have left just a small portion of the pkg car in the road.

I take that back----if you zoom out you will see a concrete circular driveway just before the address in question which may have been a better option.

kingOFchester

You can still see his tire tracks. I can now understand (somewhat) his thinking but I still would not have driven on the sidewalk. I would have pulled off the road on to the grassy area between the two driveways, which would have left just a small portion of the pkg car in the road.

I take that back----if you zoom out you will see a concrete circular driveway just before the address in question which may have been a better option.

I agree, all though a few years back there was a driver in the center manager's office getting yelled at for going in a driveway and leaving an oil stain on the asphalt.
I think we can all agree that had something gone wrong no matter where the driver parked it would be a chargeable accident as avoidable.

bbsam

Staff member
NW 7th Pl looks like a suitabl sidestreet. But like Upstate said, I'd hit the four-ways and put the passenger side wheels on the grass.

jaker

trolling
Ok looking at that map he was nowhere near a school , by the way they said in the video it was just ahead that school is way up there

Island

Ok looking at that map he was nowhere near a school , by the way they said in the video it was just ahead that school is way up there
There's a schoolzone on that street, though, and the guy in the video said plainly that it all happened about the time that the schools got out.

We have 3 seconds to make a decision that can be 2nd guessed by a desk jockey for hours.
3 seconds to decide that the sidewalk is a legit place for your package car.

I'm not under the illusion that driving a big package car around little crowded streets is easy, but I take a firm stance on safety, especially public safety. If it's illegal or it's dangerous to me or others, I'm not doing it. I don't care if the "right way" to do it is going to take a lot more time. If the company doesn't like it, the union can tell them to suck it up.

browned out

Hopefully there is a Gainsville employee or someone in that district who is on the cafe that can elaborate. To me this seems like a sup or a driver(most likely seasonal or probationary) that is being pushed so hard that anyway they can save time they will. It is the UPS going parcel scenario without the violence of the USPS. I am about +150 over allowed a day on my route. My oncar road with me and I ran over +115 (the same as I would run without him on the car) with a better dispatch and less slow areas. I passed one stop and had trouble finding one package that accounted for about 5 minutes of the overallowed. I asked him 'where is the other hour?' He had no answer. When a seasonal or probationary driver does my route; they will be told 1 hour over is unacceptable even though it should be scratch. The bad time studies and pressure is gonna get someone injured or killed.