Legal/personal advice. dog bite while working

Packmule

UPS/Workmen's Comp will recover their out-of-pocket costs directly from the homeowner's insurance. The settlement that your lawyer will be seeking is for your pain and suffering, any lost wages and for your permanent disfigurement (scar). Your lawyer will get a percentage (25-40%). I would think that you could expect to net between $5-10K.
This story needs to be posted along side that video that idiot dog owner posted on YouTube.
I would think a whole lot more than UNY is guessing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Did he volunteer to put the dog down? If not he sure doesn't care about you very much. If it is not put down, it could very well hurt someone else, perhaps a kid. Since he did not volunteer to put it down you should not feel bad about being compensated for your pain, suffering and anxiety in the future. Irresponsible dog owners will continue to be irresponsible until they are held accountable. You should not have been told to finish the work day. You should have been paid 8 hours and sent home.
Any dog that would bite a person that severely without provocation needs to be put down immediately.

The OP's friendship with the dog owner is irrelevant. He got mauled and his friend has homeowners insurance to cover the damage.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Any dog that would bite a person that severely without provocation needs to be put down immediately.

The OP's friendship with the dog owner is irrelevant. He got mauled and his friend has homeowners insurance to cover the damage.

Yup!

I have been bit three times and have never pursued any legal action against the owners. However I am beginning to change my mind now that I have seen some of the instances of poorly managed dogs and their owners,

50wej77

Wedge
Sorry everyone, I haven't seen any replies in a bit, thought I'd check back. Was on the phone all day with the On Car Sup; he calls me at 7.15 am, telling me I can come in and answer phones all day for eight hours. He says I can get paid for my time off, if I do that? I told him I really don't wanna do that, he gets pissy or nervous, and pretty much hangs up. It's been a battle with him all day. There's too many things to really list here, but after dealing with him for 7-8 hours, I had to turn the old phone off. I got a lot of notes between my conversations with the union, ba, etc..... He's really trying to get me to come to work so they don't get the lost time injury; even as far as making me call the Dr. to get the release re-worded. Not sure what he's up to, but it can't be no good for me. I'll check back soon......

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sorry everyone, I haven't seen any replies in a bit, thought I'd check back. Was on the phone all day with the On Car Sup; he calls me at 7.15 am, telling me I can come in and answer phones all day for eight hours. He says I can get paid for my time off, if I do that? I told him I really don't wanna do that, he gets pissy or nervous, and pretty much hangs up. It's been a battle with him all day. There's too many things to really list here, but after dealing with him for 7-8 hours, I had to turn the old phone off. I got a lot of notes between my conversations with the union, ba, etc..... He's really trying to get me to come to work so they don't get the lost time injury; even as far as making me call the Dr. to get the release re-worded. Not sure what he's up to, but it can't be no good for me. I'll check back soon......
Call union hall. Tell ba exactly what you posted here. That sup should be in BIG trouble.....

O

OLDMAN3

This practice of pressuring injured employees to get their doctors to change their orders so an employee can go on light duty has to stop. I know of 3 people in my work group alone who have encountered this. Because your supervisor did this, you should realize he is more interested in pressuring to get back in to work than helping you heal. Realize that if your doctor's orders says you are not cleared to return to work, your manager can, and should do nothing to pressure you into returning. If you came in and answered phones without being cleared by your doctor for light duty, you would be putting your workman's comp claim at risk.

What if you develop an infection and become unable to drive for weeks or months or ever again? You very well might lose any and all workers comp pay you were entitled to because you disobeyed doctor's orders. Also in some States you have to be totally off work for a certain amount of days before you receive comp for the first few days you miss, so going on light duty might mess up your compensation. Any days missed after returning to work from complications would use the first day of missed hours as the "starting" date.

Also know that if they offer only 8 hours of light duty you still are entitled to file a claim for the overtime you missed. They usually take the average daily amount of overtime worked over the last 6 months to figure how much you are entitled to. If you eventually go on light duty (after doctor clears you) make sure you tell your manager you want your overtime as well. If they don't give you any OT file a worker's comp claim for the OT. Also keep track of your miles to and from the doctor for reimbursement. You you should get paid for the time spent at doctor visits if they are scheduled during your normal work hours. Our contract supplement states that if you were scheduled for vacation and are off with a Worker's Comp injury---You are to be paid Worker's Comp AND vacation pay.

Don't let any manager accompany you to the doctor visits or have a "conference" with the manager, you, and the doctor... otherwise he may try to sway the doctor's opinions.

Follow the doctor's orders to a tee, inform your manager of your restrictions immediately, keep detailed notes of all conversations. Also your State probably has a Worker's Comp hotline with helpful employees who will inform you of your rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my building, if you take TAW and are capable of driving a package car, you will spend the entire day shuttling misloads between drivers.

The last time I was on TAW I worked an average of 10 hrs a day for a week and didnt even have to handle a package. All I did was drive.

One of the "dirty little secrets" about ORION is that TAW's help maintain the illusion of decreased miles because they do not enter a vehicle# or mileage into the DIAD. TAW's are basically "ghosts" that shuttle misloads around without showing up on a mileage report.