Let's Make A Deal, FedEx vs UPS

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nearly every time a FedEx'er starts a thread it manages to degenerate into a flame war of UPS vs FedEx. Some really fine discussions have been sidetracked or ruined because of this. Can't we just agree to disagree and get on with the thread(s)?
I can only speak for myself, but I will keep FedEx only issues on the FedEx Forums. If it is something that crosses company lines (like the GPS issue) it could also go on the Brown side of the fence.
If the moderators don't feel the issue goes both ways they can move the thread to where they feel it is appropriate.
I enjoy the discussions, and don't want to spend most of my time on the BC defending myself. It's about 50/50 out there, and many UPSer's have PM'ed me to say they like hearing from the "other" side. Of course, I also get PM's from people who have a totally opposite opinion. Whatever you think, can it at least be kept civil and topic-oriented?

sano

That would sound like a reasonable deal IF we were at a neutral location. This, however, is a UPS forum.
If this were a real cafe, it would make sense for us to all sit down and agree to disagree, but this is the Brown Cafe, a site about UPS.

I am in the same situation as someone from Fed-ex in that I do not work for UPS. I am here to gather information for a career change. I hope to be employed by UPS in the future.
It seems to me that those of us that are here as visitors (not upsers) would do well to show some respect.
It is possible to make a message board private and if outsiders continue to troll I would think the owners of this site would consider that.
Respectfully,

ups79

Nearly every time a FedEx'er starts a thread it manages to degenerate into a flame war of UPS vs FedEx. Some really fine discussions have been sidetracked or ruined because of this. Can't we just agree to disagree and get on with the thread(s)?
I can only speak for myself, but I will keep FedEx only issues on the FedEx Forums. If it is something that crosses company lines (like the GPS issue) it could also go on the Brown side of the fence.
If the moderators don't feel the issue goes both ways they can move the thread to where they feel it is appropriate.
I enjoy the discussions, and don't want to spend most of my time on the BC defending myself. It's about 50/50 out there, and many UPSer's have PM'ed me to say they like hearing from the "other" side. Of course, I also get PM's from people who have a totally opposite opinion. Whatever you think, can it at least be kept civil and topic-oriented?

Right on RODNEY(can't we all just get along?).

B

brown observer

I think the FEDEX vs UPS is a great rivalry. It pits two companys that are similar only to the point of delivering packages. One's the king of ground the other has a niche on air express. In the years to come you will see changes to the way packages are shipped domestically and internationally. The world has shrunk and its thanks to these highly innovative companies the customer can only benefit from the progress.

Competition is good and this is one of the best! I've met and spoken often to both UPS and FEDEX people and I can tell you they are dedicated and loyal to their prospective goals.

How great would it be if in a future NASCAR race the number 11 and 44 would be in the final lap bumping and jockeying for position to get to the finish line! (I know that was off-topic but had to throw that in).

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the idea of even comparing UPS and FedEx is silly. The only thing people need to know is that one of us does the same job that it takes three other FedEx drivers (Express, Ground, and Home Delivery) to do. And we get paid more for it. During peak one of the Express drivers told me she felt like she worked at UPS because she had 100 stops. I just laughed and told her that she'd have to double that and add about 50 stops to feel like she worked at UPS. Enough said. :)

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Lets not and say we did- remember that from the 60's. I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of Mrfedex droning on and on and on... I don't see his name as a moderator here but when I try to put him on my ignore list -it says he is a mod. Maybe we should be allowed to list him on the ignore here but he could drone on and on and on over on his own side.:dissapointed:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A bit off topic, but mr fedex might want to understand something simple about UPS people.

While Tie can be a bit of an ass at times (for that matter, I can be as well), he is brown. We have the God given right to smash him on his views, because we all bleed brown. But let someone else from the outside start kicking him around, and you might as well take on the rest as well. Not sure why, but it happens that way.

Bottom line is this. We do share many items of concern or the issues are simular. But in each company, the issues are handled differently, in part because of the union. And it is also hard to compare two delivery companies where one is a courier, and one a delivery man/person. A courier delivers letters and small parcels. A deliveryman/person does it all, and usually with a truck that you cant even walk through until lunch. In all my years parked side by side with FDX trucks I have never seen one that even starts out without enough room in the back to throw a party.

IT is what it is. Maybe as ground becomes Union, things might become more and more alike, but right now, although simular, they are still worlds appart.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
It happens that way, Danny, because it's "family". And just like real families, we have our nuts and saints and radicals and doves. There's black sheep too. (that's not a racist comment). That's just the way it is.:happy2:

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
I have bled brown for over 18 years and will for another 18. I have a brother that works for FedEx in the air delivery and I get to hear him complain about how many stops he has to do. Granted I am no longer a driver and have switched to the tie, I get tired of hearing him complian that he had to do 65 stops and 5 pickups. I always tell him when he does 140 stops and 20 pickups during the regular time of year to give me a call and until then to keep quiet.

I can see where MrFedEx is coming from though. There are many things that the two companies have in common(Like GPS). I can see were both sides can gain some knowledge by listening to each other. However, I am not a fan of someone from the outside bashing a UPSER. If we do it to one another that is one thing.

My 2 cents.

dragracer66

Lets not and say we did- remember that from the 60's. I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of Mrfedex droning on and on and on... I don't see his name as a moderator here but when I try to put him on my ignore list -it says he is a mod. Maybe we should be allowed to list him on the ignore here but he could drone on and on and on over on his own side.:dissapointed:
I second that motion....Mr FedEx is a wannabe waiting to get a bone from the brown side. He should find his own cry baby site and vent there nobody here cares!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks, DragQueen. I try and mend fences and I get this kind of crap in response. Keep on flaming...I no longer care.

tieguy

Banned
Thanks, DragQueen. I try and mend fences and I get this kind of crap in response. Keep on flaming...I no longer care.

this is one of those times where instead of responding with the dragqueen comment you turn the other cheek. this is a responsibility you have as a MOD here. Its not easy but its what your job entails and what will win you acceptance here.jmho:happy-very:

Channahon

I admire you for starting this thread and I know it must be difficult to be on here as a competitor. I would think the sentiments might be the same a UPSer on a Fed Ex board.

The fact of the matter is, most threads are enjoyable, from a sharing perspective. However, when thread starts with management issues, well we are outnumbered, and sometimes our posts are well received, others times they are not. But that doesn't stop UPS management from posting their thoughts and opinions.

Combine that with a FedEx employee challenging a UPS management person, well to me that adds fuel to the fire and the flaming begins.

Maturity, self respect and respect for others go a long way in life, both professionally and personally.

Respectfully,
Chan