Letter Boxes

Cementups

Box Monkey
Hmmm, but I work for UPS and have the code to open the box. I even have paystubs and an ID to verify my employment status. Now If I was opening the box with a sledgehammer and crowbar, that could be different.

And what if maybe I was looking for supplies and the top part was missing what I wanted. Some good air drivers stock their boxes in the locked part as well so the replacement stuff is already there when he needs it. So, maybe i was just doing him a favor and restocking the top.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Hmmm, but I work for UPS and have the code to open the box. I even have paystubs and an ID to verify my employment status. Now If I was opening the box with a sledgehammer and crowbar, that could be different.

And what if maybe I was looking for supplies and the top part was missing what I wanted. Some good air drivers stock their boxes in the locked part as well so the replacement stuff is already there when he needs it. So, maybe i was just doing him a favor and restocking the top.

You can believe your answers will keep you out of trouble but I'm sure if you were caught in a state where you don't work opening a box LP wouldn't accept any of your answers.Remember most people that are fired here are fired because of their stupidity.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My son and I were wandering around Kentucky Horse Park last spring and I tried the Lbox just for giggles. It opened. Same combo as Wisconsin.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did the same thing. My son and I were on a school trip to a sectional basketball game and we stopped at a rest area on the Thruway and I was curious if the combination on the box was the same as ours--it was. I simply reset the pickup indicator. No harm, no foul.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
When UPS switched to the new logo several years ago, all of the old logo drop boxes were given the same combination. This was so the contractor hired to switch out the old boxes with new, would be able to open them easily. Prior to the switch, we had 4 or 5 different combinations in our district. UPS had the drivers change the combination to the universal one, but I don't remember the instructions on how to do it.
I've often thought, for security reasons, these should be changed back. Actually, this probably isn't a good subject for an open forum on the internet.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Well I guess you are right to some extent----I still have a couple of years left on my 2 inch scotch tape supply. I grabbed a bunch of that on my way out. :wink2: I still use my old steel hard rubber tire 2-wheeler and a couple of almost new car wash brushes I salvaged from the UPS dumpster. I'm sure if I dig around I could come up with alot of stuff I rescued out of the dumpster.

Sorry for the segway, but...

Last week there was a UPS dolly in the dumpster, one of the 500lb capacity aluminum jobs. The tires were shredded, but the rest was fine. I thought it would be really helpful with other stuff I do at home, so with no second thought, I grabbed it & started rolling it to my car.

No need to go into details - Don't consider doing this. Ever. I can't tell you why its a problem to recycle obviously good stuff, but UPS says it's a no-no.

rod

Retired 22 years

Last week there was a UPS dolly in the dumpster, one of the 500lb capacity aluminum jobs. The tires were shredded, but the rest was fine. I thought it would be really helpful with other stuff I do at home, so with no second thought, I grabbed it & started rolling it to my car.

No need to go into details - Don't consider doing this. Ever. I can't tell you why its a problem to recycle obviously good stuff, but UPS says it's a no-no.

When we got back to the building there usually (especially on fridays) wasn't any management to greet us and if they were they never said anything. One center manager I had even asked me if I needed a 6 foot tall double door enclosed storage cabinet the were throwing away. I did and he helped me load it in my pickup. P.S-- so where you are UPS would rather throw aluminum away than recycle it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a very simple solution to this: ASK!! I will bet that if you had asked there would not have been a problem.

rod

Retired 22 years
There is a very simple solution to this: ASK!! I will bet that if you had asked there would not have been a problem.

The trouble with asking is that its really hard to get someone to actually make a decision. If it is in the trash I don't see why a person would have to envolve headquarters in Atlanta to get an answer:happy2: I'm sure it is different at guarded facilities but at small boondock centers who cares?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The trouble with asking is that its really hard to get someone to actually make a decision. If it is in the trash I don't see why a person would have to envolve headquarters in Atlanta to get an answer:happy2: I'm sure it is different at guarded facilities but at small boondock centers who cares?

Ours is also a small center and if there were a handcart in the dumpster it would be not problem for me to simply ask the center manager and then to put it in the back of my pickup and bring it home. However, I still ask.

If it's in the dumpster, then it no longer belongs to UPS. they gave up their right to own it once it hit the tin.
If anyone in management has a beef for you (or just wants to get a check mark by their name), you'll have to defend yourself for theft. In the dumpster or not, it's still on UPS property so they claim it is still theirs.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
A good troll can always shift the focus of the thread.

Our letterboxes have had the same code for years and years. Last time they were changed was when an employee, that did the letterboxes, got fired for dishonesty. Our letterboxes were actually the end part of one of our routes. We had 20 boxes, that the person doing the route, would do at the end of their pick ups. Was quite lucrative, when the letterbox bonus existed. One could have run 2-3 hours underallowed on any given day.

The employee that got fired for dishonesty, became a deputy sheriff and said he was going to pull us all over. He got fired from that job as well and now works at FedEx Freight.

The moral of the story? Ask and it shall be given or not, but at least you're not hiding anything. Also, don't claim that you delivered 2 seperate NDA pkgs in 2 minutes, that were 15 miles apart.