Libertarians Are Such A Dangerous Lot!

bbsam

Staff member
Interesting read. I really liked a couple of the comments that followed because they are the question I always pose: How do we get there from here?

But the author unwittingly answered this. He calls libertarian the new middle. Its just not so. The middle is already occupied by reasonable Republicans and pragmatic Democrats. They've failed miserably over the past two decades to hold sway but the same forces that have divided congressional districts to favor one party or another will chew up and spit out a third party. I hope in time the left of the Republican party and right of the Democratic party will ignore their fringes and govern effectively.

wkmac

Karl Hess, speaking at UCLA March 1970'. Karl is historically important to 20th century libertarianism in his relationship with Murray Rothbard and among more radical libertarians, Karl is seen as a very important voice. Karl's 10 year journey from GOP platform writer in 1960' to Goldwater's chief speech writer in 1964' to outlaw anarchist/left libertarian in 1970' is an interesting journey.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There's no real libertarians here.
Seeing how there are several dozen types of Libertarianism that share the common beliefs in smaller government and greater individual responsibility, I wonder why you say there are none here?
I think I can safely say you are not a believer in Liberty!

A generalized description:
Libertarianism is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective.
As a result, libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment.

According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, libertarians hold liberty as their primary political value. Their approach to implementing liberty involves opposing any governmental coercion, aside from that which is necessary to prevent individuals from coercing each other.

Here are a list of types of Libertarianism I copied from Wikipedia
Note: I have seen others in addition to these and I find myself aligning with Individualist Anarchism which is not in the list below but is a type of Libertarianism. The persons that started me down the path to my beliefs was Henry David Thoreau who is acknowledged as a Transcendentalist and
Immanuel Kant, whom I have never been able to categorize.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That was a long-winded tongue-in-cheek presentation.
Nice looking cat in your avatar ... looks like my baby Apollo!

7966.jpg

rickyb

Seeing how there are several dozen types of Libertarianism that share the common beliefs in smaller government and greater individual responsibility, I wonder why you say there are none here?

Libertarianism is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective.
As a result, libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment.

According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, libertarians hold liberty as their primary political value. Their approach to implementing liberty involves opposing any governmental coercion, aside from that which is necessary to prevent individuals from coercing each other.

Note: I have seen others in addition to these and I find myself aligning with Individualist Anarchism which is not in the list below but is a type of Libertarianism. The persons that started me down the path to my beliefs was Henry David Thoreau who is acknowledged as a Transcendentalist and
americans :censored2:ed up libertarianism. american perversion of libertarianism welcomes corporate tyranny.

and martin luther king was a libertarian as he was abused by the state like the FBI

rickyb

there are an equal amount of economic systems as well besides capitalism

BrownArmy

The issue I see to your being any type of Libertarian is your belief in a strong, centralized authoritarian government.

Hmmm.

I guess I’d start out by saying that I’m an idealist, so take everything I say in that vein.

I’m all for a strong, centralized government, in the sense that, at scale, certain tasks make more sense with the combined power of all of our resources.

The Military. The Interstate Highway System. Protection of our natural resources. Clean air and water.

A common-sense regulatory system where, for example, US and global/interstate companies working here couldn’t continue to pour known cancer-causing hazardous effluent into our Nation’s water-supply.

Etc.

I’m not for an Authoritarian government at all: I want maximum freedom.

I don’t find wanting maximum freedom and idealizing a world where government actually works to be incompatible.

Really, I just want the people we elect to do their fkg jobs and run this nation for its people and not for lobbyists.

El Correcto

god is dead
Hmmm.

I guess I’d start out by saying that I’m an idealist, so take everything I say in that vein.

I’m all for a strong, centralized government, in the sense that, at scale, certain tasks make more sense with the combined power of all of our resources.

The Military. The Interstate Highway System. Protection of our natural resources. Clean air and water.

A common-sense regulatory system where, for example, US and global/interstate companies working here couldn’t continue to pour known cancer-causing hazardous effluent into our Nation’s water-supply.

Etc.

I’m not for an Authoritarian government at all: I want maximum freedom.

I don’t find wanting maximum freedom and idealizing a world where government actually works to be incompatible.

Really, I just want the people we elect to do their fkg jobs and run this nation for its people and not for lobbyists.
Lobbyists are people to fren. Do you really believe a country can be successful by ignoring it’s private sector’s concerns. By letting a bunch of dumb asses in the hood vote themselves money out of other people’s pockets that they’ll squander on dumb :censored2: like financed rims for their 96 Lincoln.

bbsam

Staff member
Lobbyists are people to fren. Do you really believe a country can be successful by ignoring it’s private sector’s concerns. By letting a bunch of dumb asses in the hood vote themselves money out of other people’s pockets that they’ll squander on dumb :censored2: like financed rims for their 96 Lincoln.
Are you saying lobbyists don’t “vote themselves money out of other people’s pockets”?

You’re not that stupid. Butt you are @Wrong

El Correcto

god is dead
Are you saying lobbyists don’t “vote themselves money out of other people’s pockets”?

You’re not that stupid. Butt you are @Wrong
I never said they didn’t. I bitch about corporations like FedEx who instead of providing health coverage with employment preach “investing” in the American workforce, meaning subsidize our low wages and employment packages with working class tax dollars.