Liberty Mutual Backing film

wornoutupser

Has anyone else other than Central Florida seen the film put out by Liberty Mutual that says that it is faster and safer to walk a driveway rather than to back in? It seems to have been filmed in Georgia.

I take the film to be yet another "We spent money to improve safety" but we we are pushing the drivers to the wall on allowances fiasco.

All UPS wants is better numbers, so they put out a movie that says that a 120 yard driveway can be walked faster than it can be backed.

We would be written up here for wasting the time to walk it off!
Any comments from the rest of the country?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I can back faster than I can walk. Driveways are called driveways because you are supposed to drive on them. My supervisor tells me I back down so many long driveways, I probably lose five miles a day on my odometer!:wink:

disneyworld

wornoutupser said:
Has anyone else other than Central Florida seen the film put out by Liberty Mutual that says that it is faster and safer to walk a driveway rather than to back in? It seems to have been filmed in Georgia.

I take the film to be yet another "We spent money to improve safety" but we we are pushing the drivers to the wall on allowances fiasco.

All UPS wants is better numbers, so they put out a movie that says that a 120 yard driveway can be walked faster than it can be backed.

We would be written up here for wasting the time to walk it off!
Any comments from the rest of the country?
I'm sure it's OK to drive down them when it saves time but not if you get in an accident.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
disneyworld said:
I'm sure it's OK to drive down them when it saves time but not if you get in an accident.

Truer words have never been spoken. I work a 95% residential route, and I spend a lot of time in driveways. I was on a country route one time that had a couple of driveways that were a quarter of a mile one way. No way would the company give you a realistic time allowance to walk one of those. I have had about three accidents, all minor, involving backing the last nine years on my present area. You have to be careful, a lot of it is area knowledge where you know if there is a turn around at the end of that long driveway or not. You have to avoid backing out on a busy road at all cost. As drivers, we are expected to be perfect, but are expected to work at an unrealistic stops per hour number.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While we are on backing, dont forget the 4 foot rule. Never back any closer than 4 feet to any object. That way you will never hit anything while backing. I guess that would include the dock of all your major stops too. At least that was what we were told.

Just another one of the unrealistic programs that the whiz kids at liberty came up with to save the company money.

d