Linehaul driving (how is it)

Cementups

Box Monkey
You mean UPS has a division that drives tractor trailers but is not Freight?

Yes. Freight does more city type work as well as OTR work. You may have to actually deliver and handle the freight that is on your truck.

At UPS (the parcel division) we deliver/pickup at other hubs and customers but never physically handle any freight. park on dock, pull off dock. Customer does it all. Most of the time we don't even go inside. Like Amazon (typically) has us put the empty trailer in the yard and then grab another loaded, already sealed, trailer somewhere else in the yard. Drop and hook, drive to hub, park loaded trailer on door for unload.

Mack37

Ups won't hire you full time off the street. You need to apply for a part time position. Put in your time. Then go full time driving in seniority order.

Why do guys still tell people this? Do you work at a hub with only two feeders or something? There are places that hire full time feeders off the street and others hire seasonals.

We have almost 500 guys on the board. They hired 50 feeders full time last year and 3 of them were internal, the rest were seasonals.

Plus here you go to the bottom of the board no matter how much seniority you have when you transfer in, thank God.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Why do guys still tell people this? Do you work at a hub with only two feeders or something? There are places that hire full time feeders off the street and others hire seasonals.

We have almost 500 guys on the board. They hired 50 feeders full time last year and 3 of them were internal, the rest were seasonals.

Plus here you go to the bottom of the board no matter how much seniority you have when you transfer in, thank God.
Most hubs/buildings have a wait time. Especially for feeders. Very few hire full time drivers right off the street. Package or feeder. My building is currently hiring package car drivers off the street. But For feeders they are going down the seniority list right now. No outside hires.

Mack37

Most hubs/buildings have a wait time. Especially for feeders. Very few hire full time drivers right off the street. Package or feeder. My building is currently hiring package car drivers off the street. But For feeders they are going down the seniority list right now. No outside hires.

In this state, it seems that 9 out of 10 feeders come from seasonals. We can’t get package guys because nobody wants to be at the bottom of the board and they definitely don’t want to work nights. I think they want an additional 200 feeders over the next few years and I bet money less than 20 of those will be package or pt guys.

You mean UPS has a division that drives tractor trailers but is not Freight?

Yes. Freight does more city type work as well as OTR work. You may have to actually deliver and handle the freight that is on your truck.

At UPS (the parcel division) we deliver/pickup at other hubs and customers but never physically handle any freight. park on dock, pull off dock. Customer does it all. Most of the time we don't even go inside. Like Amazon (typically) has us put the empty trailer in the yard and then grab another loaded, already sealed, trailer somewhere else in the yard. Drop and hook, drive to hub, park loaded trailer on door for unload.

I’ve been with Freight for twenty-five years. All but two have been as a road (feeder) driver.

I have NEVER delivered to a customer or been required to work the dock.

I have held bids that are “mini-hub” schedules, where I know in advance that I will have to work the dock at my turnaround, but that is how the schedule is written.

What I would be worried about as a new hire on the road is being forced to run on a team. I’ve had my share of that, and frankly, rather work the dock.

Running a sleeper is worse than being married; you have all of the liabilities and none of the benefits.