Living Off The Grid

wkmac

Hoax,

He's still got a corn cob up his saddle that Detroit was built on a false model and the chickens have come home to roost.

The Detroit Bankruptcy thread and some of my posts on ground up solutions to collapsing state institutions brought out his inner authoritarian and monopolistic desires.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see. It's just that I have been warned in the past for doing just that. Different rules for different posters. That I get.
The same rules apply to everyone ... just different levels of comprehension.
These pictures should help.

Examples of Changing Quote 2.jpg

wkmac

Very much familiar with it. Have several of Rob's books. He's also up in your neck of the woods. Also have Richard Flatau's book as well. Love the concept but I like Cob and Earthbag construction more for it's thermal mass properties.

People are really getting creative with cordwood however.

cordwood-floor-houzz-com.jpg

cordwood-countertop-billandvicki-jarratt-3.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special

wkmac

That woman really wasn't living off the grid. She lived in a city and was using city sewage system without paying for it. So she was freeloading off of other people paying to maintain the system. If she was really living off the grid she should not be connected to any city utilities.

From reading the story Brett linked, she may have been her own worst enemy when she went public in local media. After that, the Hounds of Hell came down on her. Same to a degree for Eustace Conway who lived quietly, mostly consider an eccentric oddball and ignored but when he opened his property up to teaching others, that's when his quiet paradise became his personal hell so to speak. So much for the illusion of free speech.

You are correct that she was never completely off the grid, the fact that she was eating processed food made in industrial assembly lines speaks to that much less the point you rightly made about the sewer. In a remote location, off grid is easier because it's the only way you can live there but in a more urban or suburban setting, one can stay on the gird so to speak, mostly to keep the dogs of dominance at bay while still learning the strong and weak points of your ideas of living. She could use composting toilets and urine mixed with greywater could be used as beneficial to various planting beds. I understand Cape Coral may have now capped her sewage pipe and she's claiming this as evil. That may well be but if she creates a solution that puts zero waste into any water system, she may realize the law itself just removed her from their jurisdiction.

There is another interesting aspect to this story and to what it ultimately means I don't have that answer. In the last paragraph in the story Brett linked, there is mention of an overriding law code that governs this situation and it's called by name in the "International Property Maintenance Code". I've also seen this mentioned on other stories on this subject. My initial looking into this subject suggests this "Code" came into being in 2011' (but that's not in stone either) and it seems to have it's foundation in international as opposed to national much less state or local law. My guess is this code establishes it's authority from an international agreement or treaty. So far that is what I've come to learn of this code but I plan on looking more into this in the future as my own goal is to go off grid and I mean way off grid.

Just like most law benefits economic interests, so to could this code also serve that purpose but just on an international scale and with self service to multinational corp. interests who free markets for themselves while leaving the rest of us trapped in collectivism eating at each other because of a created scarcity. The Bechtel Corp. water laws in Bolivia for example that made it illegal to even capture and drink rainwater is a hint in that direction and don't think that could never happen here either. The Bolivians to their credit revolted and ended that lunacy as I understand it.

wkmac

I think doing things like this is interesting.

Yep. Been doing hydroponics/aeroponics now for 3 years. Started out mostly as a means to enjoy gardening year round but this past year expanded out to include a small green house. Of late, doing more using the Kratky method. Starting to build some vertical towers I'm going to use outside this summer and see how that works.

Scratch, if you are interested, check out Atlantis Hydroponics located off Chattahoochee Ave. on Woodmont Lane. You can build you own systems fairly easy but Atlantis also sells basic starter kits too. In the case of say lettuce, I can go from seed to table in 35 days either using a Kratky box or my old aeroponic setup I've now given to my daughter.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I tried planting a lot of things from seed last year, I didn't have much luck with lettuce and corn. I am going to try to get my backyard tilled next weekend, its planting time. I have planted vegetables and herbs in containers on my deck for years, I would like to figure out an inside system that might work in my basement year-round.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I like the link to Atlantis Hydroponics, I may check them out. I noticed they sell beer making supplies too, I just sampled my second batch of home brew last night!