Local 2727 update

UPSSOCKS

Hide from what... Are you going to start another thread that willl last for more than a year about things that aren't going to happen.

airbusfxr

That was great fogman, post on every thread. He is a jack of all threads master of none/

Last edited by a moderator:

Fur-low

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
UPS announced an 80 percent increase in earnings for the third quarter as the Sandy Springs-based logistics company said it expected modest growth for the holiday season.
Rising earnings led the company to reinstate its 401(k) match, which it will do beginning in January. UPS also increased its guidance for the year, and expects adjusted earnings per share to increase by more than 50 percent over 2009.

UPSSOCKS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
UPS announced an 80 percent increase in earnings for the third quarter as the Sandy Springs-based logistics company said it expected modest growth for the holiday season.
Rising earnings led the company to reinstate its 401(k) match, which it will do beginning in January. UPS also increased its guidance for the year, and expects adjusted earnings per share to increase by more than 50 percent over 2009.

Finally a worth while post in this thread.. You know what I think.. I think all the mechanics realized that they are paid what they are worth. All the hype is over, and back to work (for some) they go. Just like it should be.. Run your mouth on your computers but at the beginning of the day be ready to work as instructed... It's a wonderful world...

oreana123

Just a note to you Upssocks, it is the nature of the contract that exists for the airline mechanics that they continue to work while UPS managment and their elected representatives negotiate their future contract. No AMT has walked off the job. They are all still providing UPS with some of the best aircraft maintenance in the world. As far as hype goes, you would be wrong to underestimate the resolution that the AMT group has to obtain a fair contract. None of these negotiations move at a rapid speed, there are roadblocks at every turn for those who labor to negotiate with any form of managment in the USA.

I also think that you, Upssocks underestimate the responsibilities of the UPS AMTs. Their job is evolving as time goes by, their responsibilities have increased to a point that they deserve a level of pay that obviously seems unfair to you, and I simply base that observation on your comments in this string of posts. And how does one determine the level of compensation? Is it not based on responsibility? UPS has no problem paying highly those whose importance to the continued safe operation of the company is the greatest. The AMT group of UPS is saying to their managment negotiators that they are among the more important players. It is as simple as that.

Belive me when I say that I am not comparing AMTs to any other job classification at UPS. They have a very singular and responsible duty, and they deserve to be compensated for that responsibility.

Here are some examples of the continuing change in AMT duties:

UPS Airline policy now require an AMT to sign off an airworthiness release before any flight leg originating at an airport where AMT services are available. As a managment employee, you probably have no idea of the mechanical status, flight readiness, and legal ramifications of the airworthiness release. This is one of the increased responsibilities of the AMT group. Gone are the days of gapping spark plugs, today's AMTs are required to know complex craft, be able to troubleshoot and repair, and to do it on one's own.

This leads me to your last comment about "be ready to work as instructed". This shows me that you do not realize how much of the AMTs work is on his own. No managment supervisor I have met knows enough about the aircraft I am responsible for, to tell me what needs to be done to maintain that craft when it is in a state of repair. They are often a valuable resource, but they are not going to sign that airworthiness release...

If it helps you, think of the operation of the aircraft that UPS uses by two groups: Flight Operations and Aircraft Maintenance. When the aircraft needs an AMT, that aircraft belongs to the maintenance group until the logbook is signed. When Aircraft Maintenance releases the aircraft to Flight Operations, then and only then can the pilot group do their job.

Did you know that the documents aboard the aircraft like the flight and maintenance log are court of law admissable evidence? Did you know that the responsibility for the pilot of UPS aircraft ends when he leaves the aircraft, but the responsibility for the AMTs work can last for years? Did you know that some courts have sought criminal charges for faulty aircraft maintenance, even charging AMTs with homicide in fatal crashes? No person in the package end of UPS will be hauled into court for doing a poor job at UPS. These are some of the responsibilities that have changed in USA and it is these kind of changes that fuel the AMTs desire for fair compensation.

My long-winded point is that that you, Upssocks know not of what you speak, and you will not be happy with the contract the AMTs end up with after negotiations come up with a new pay rate. My point is that the AMTs of UPS deserve increased compensation for their evolving responsibilities.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a note to you Upssocks, it is the nature of the contract that exists for the airline mechanics that they continue to work while UPS managment and their elected representatives negotiate their future contract. No AMT has walked off the job. They are all still providing UPS with some of the best aircraft maintenance in the world. As far as hype goes, you would be wrong to underestimate the resolution that the AMT group has to obtain a fair contract. None of these negotiations move at a rapid speed, there are roadblocks at every turn for those who labor to negotiate with any form of managment in the USA.

I also think that you, Upssocks underestimate the responsibilities of the UPS AMTs. Their job is evolving as time goes by, their responsibilities have increased to a point that they deserve a level of pay that obviously seems unfair to you, and I simply base that observation on your comments in this string of posts. And how does one determine the level of compensation? Is it not based on responsibility? UPS has no problem paying highly those whose importance to the continued safe operation of the company is the greatest. The AMT group of UPS is saying to their managment negotiators that they are among the more important players. It is as simple as that.

Belive me when I say that I am not comparing AMTs to any other job classification at UPS. They have a very singular and responsible duty, and they deserve to be compensated for that responsibility.

UPS Airline policy now require an AMT to sign off an airworthiness release before any flight leg originating at an airport where AMT services are available. As a managment employee, you probably have no idea of the mechanical status, flight readiness, and legal ramifications of the airworthiness release. This is one of the increased responsibilities of the AMT group. Gone are the days of gapping spark plugs, today's AMTs are required to know complex craft, be able to troubleshoot and repair, and to do it on one's own.

This leads me to your last comment about "be ready to work as instructed". This shows me that you do not realize how much of the AMTs work is on his own. No managment supervisor I have met knows enough about the aircraft I am responsible for, to tell me what needs to be done to maintain that craft when it is in a state of repair. They are often a valuable resource, but they are not going to sign that airworthiness release...

If it helps you, think of the operation of the aircraft that UPS uses by two groups: Flight Operations and Aircraft Maintenance. When the aircraft needs an AMT, that aircraft belongs to the maintenance group until the logbook is signed. When Aircraft Maintenance releases the aircraft to Flight Operations, then and only then can the pilot group do their job.

Did you know that the documents aboard the aircraft like the flight and maintenance log are court of law admissable evidence? Did you know that the responsibility for the pilot of UPS aircraft ends when he leaves the aircraft, but the responsibility for the AMTs work can last for years? Did you know that some courts have sought criminal charges for faulty aircraft maintenance, even charging AMTs with homicide in fatal crashes? No person in the package end of UPS will be hauled into court for doing a poor job at UPS. These are some of the responsibilities that have changed in USA and it is these kind of changes that fuel the AMTs desire for fair compensation.

My long-winded point is that that you, Upssocks know not of what you speak, and you will not be happy with the contract the AMTs end up with after negotiations come up with a new pay rate. My point is that the AMTs of UPS deserve increased compensation for their evolving responsibilities.

That was a lot of words to state the obvious. :wink2:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Did you know that these documents court of law admissable evidence?

DVIR's or EDICR's
ROD's
PITO inspection log.

bbsam

Staff member
Not at all. Had you/me asked me/you the response would have been, "intellectually and every other kind, thank-you/me".

UPSSOCKS

I personally don't care what they make. It's none of my concern. The point I am trying to make is the "typical union" all talk. The teamsters steal from the poor and give to the rich. They steal dues off all of the employees and give nothing. Workers should be more loyal to the company and not the union. Only then will everyone get what they deserve.

upssup

OREANA123 OK here is one then. Let's see a Journeyman Mechanic with UPS is required to know not only UPS maintenance standards and methods but also the state that they work in along with Federal DOT and NHTSA requirements as well. Yes we are "only" responsible for Vehicles on the ground, but last I checked there was more vehicles on the ground than in the air at any given time. Yes you are right this is no longer gapping spark plugs. Now we have to contend with OBD1 and OBD2 along with Real time ECM diagnostics and repairs. So does that mean that UPS Package car and Tractor mechanics should make more than AMT's I think the logic is there. Our mechanics have also assumed a changing job description as well. We now have to be the front line authorization on weather a vehicle is road worthy on not. Our service is also divided between Package Operations and Vehicle maintenance. Do I need to go on. I am sure you can slide rule the info anyway you want but you know what. My mechanics are happy to do their job to the best of their ability, they take as much, if not more pride in their job, and oh yeah, they do not threaten to hold UPS hostage because they unlike you realize that they are replaceable!

brownone

OREANA123 OK here is one then. Let's see a Journeyman Mechanic with UPS is required to know not only UPS maintenance standards and methods but also the state that they work in along with Federal DOT and NHTSA requirements as well. Yes we are "only" responsible for Vehicles on the ground, but last I checked there was more vehicles on the ground than in the air at any given time. Yes you are right this is no longer gapping spark plugs. Now we have to contend with OBD1 and OBD2 along with Real time ECM diagnostics and repairs. So does that mean that UPS Package car and Tractor mechanics should make more than AMT's I think the logic is there. Our mechanics have also assumed a changing job description as well. We now have to be the front line authorization on weather a vehicle is road worthy on not. Our service is also divided between Package Operations and Vehicle maintenance. Do I need to go on. I am sure you can slide rule the info anyway you want but you know what. My mechanics are happy to do their job to the best of their ability, they take as much, if not more pride in their job, and oh yeah, they do not threaten to hold UPS hostage because they unlike you realize that they are replaceable!

You just do not understand the skill it takes for them to sleep in a truck for 50% of the night. They are so skilled, they do not even need to follow UPS's silly rules on seat belts and stop signs. They are above things like that, just ask them and they will tell you.

oreana123

OK I've been around this country a long time. I have worked at many professions, union and non-union. I have never found a company with better compensation than UPS. That is why I work for UPS. The 2727 Teamsters Union is a necessary evil, required by the railway act that we work under. Any AMT that has worked for other airlines will tell you what we have is because we have a strong union, and I assure you that the dues we pay are a reasonable cost for what we get.
Also, do not underestimate the loyalty of the AMTs that work here for their company. If you base their loyalty on their willingness to go along with the amazing b%%s$#t that is a part of this job, then it will certainly seem like the typical aircraft mechanic is not loyal. I have seen a lot of AMTs go way out of their way to get aircraft ready to go, with a rare attaboy.
But please don't ask an AMT to choose between UPS and Teamsters, they are part of the same job