Look at what Diadlover got today.......

aspenleaf

Diadlover ~ you sir are nuts!
Are you lonely? I mean you have taken to dressing up your turkey. . .most of us just stuff them! :w00t:

diadlover

Diadlover ~ you sir are nuts!
Are you lonely? I mean you have taken to dressing up your turkey. . .most of us just stuff them! :w00t:

Lonely? Nah. Not with all these voices in my head. If you guys call shoving your hands up a turkey's butt "normal" then more power to you. I'm perfectly content playing dress up with mine. Speaking of "nuts" I think I got a hernia today and rumor has it that your a nurse so............

aspenleaf

Lonely? Nah. Not with all these voices in my head. If you guys call shoving your hands up a turkey's butt "normal" then more power to you. I'm perfectly content playing dress up with mine. Speaking of "nuts" I think I got a hernia today and rumor has it that your a nurse so............

Yes, but I think I will let your turkey check you for hernias!

solitarysiren

Happiness in Slavery...
Last year on upser's.com, they ran a story kind of explaining the Holiday turkey give-away. In the early days of UPS, , they gave the employees a gold $20.00 gold piece, in appreciation of the job they had done. This continued for quite some time, then, I think it was in the 20's they went to the turkey. It was discontinued during WWII, due to rationing and all, but then brought back after the war. Just think, if you account for inflation and all, what the equivalent of that $20.00 would be today. Just a wild guess, but they probably only made that much a month back then. A months pay a Christmas would be a cool bonus, especially for the full timers.

mgmt gets a half month bonus and a turkey...

Griff

Every year our parking lot has a handful of turkeys and boxes from the fulltime drivers expressing their gratitude.

It's quite a waste considering how many people are starving, but I won't lie, I always have a nice laugh when I see it.

Our building seems to be hellbent on a "cheap Christmas" this year, trying to keep the OT under control. I can only imagine what the parking lot will look like this year with smaller checks going out.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Last year on upser's.com, they ran a story kind of explaining the Holiday turkey give-away. In the early days of UPS, , they gave the employees a gold $20.00 gold piece, in appreciation of the job they had done. This continued for quite some time, then, I think it was in the 20's they went to the turkey. It was discontinued during WWII, due to rationing and all, but then brought back after the war. Just think, if you account for inflation and all, what the equivalent of that $20.00 would be today. Just a wild guess, but they probably only made that much a month back then. A months pay a Christmas would be a cool bonus, especially for the full timers.

The gold alone in a $20 gold piece is worth $673.80 today.

browniehound

I'm cooking mine today. I don't care if its a suck ass christmas gift( i actually happen to like it), I'll take what i can get from the company thats not know for its, shall we say "generosity" towards its employees?????

P.S., before someone from a competitor or management posts that we earn more than anyone else in the industry, let me just say this. If you're sick and dying of cancer and can't make it to work, UPS doesn't give a rats-ass about you. They make no donation to your future widow or famlily. But let's keep up those million dollar united way donations to people we don't know from Adam, and screw the people that have given the blood, sweat, and tears for years to the company

helenofcalifornia

Never thought about it that way. Did anyone else do their United Way pledges in April of this year for the year 2007? I don't know why they started pressuring us so early. And you want to piss off management, pledge NOTHING!! Guaranteed to get management to start talking to you about your pledge, or lack thereof. I always donate to a charity of my choosing, but management has to work for it. Really petty of me, I know.

Griff

Our center tries to pressure us into doing the weekly check donation instead of the one-time deal. I think this whole United Way / UPS crap is getting a little bit out of control. I believe in helping people out but I'd rather do something more constructive than giving cash to a main-stream entity like the United Way (just because UPS says to). I mean it's almost to a point now where the whole United Way crap every year has become nothing more than a numbers joke like everything else at UPS. I feel like the whole UPS / United Way thing has become nothing more than bragging rights for UPS among it's Fortune 500 peers. I would much rather donate some hours on the weekend to a cause like Habitats for Humanity instead.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would much rather donate some hours on the weekend to a cause like Habitats for Humanity instead.

Habitat for Humanity is a great program. I have helped to completely frame a new home in one day several times. I haven't gave to United Way myself the last couple of years. I prefer to actually do something in my own community instead of giving money to someone else to decide how to spend it. I have learned a lot from Habitat, I could probably build a house myself if I wanted to.:wink:

rod

Retired 22 years
There are many many better organizations to donate you money to other than United Way. A few years back there was a big stink raised because the head of United Way (I believe it was a Vice Pres. wife) was being paid over $600,000 a year. Wonder what they make now?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Back to Diadlovers original topic. Last Saturday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ran a big article about the UPS Turkey Tradition. It cost more than four million dollars for UPS to give 325,000 turkeys and 56,000 turkey gift certificates to all its U.S. workforce. Thats about twelve dollars a bird. It takes months of planning, and 55 managers are assigned as "turkey coordinators" to pull off the task of planning the handing out of a turkey as an employee ends their shift at over 1200 UPS facilities. They also mentioned the first UPS Christmas Tradition, when founder Jim Casey would give out the twenty dollar gold coins. This was changed in the 1920s, when employees received live turkeys. I can remember back when the P/ters got $500 and the friend/ters got $1000 before taxes. The Teamsters didn't like that, they wanted it spread out as part of a contract raise. That $660 (after taxes) sure was nice to have to go Christmas shopping!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I got a turkey last week. Completely frozen. Only my "turkey ticket" had someone elses name on it and they no longer work for UPS...lol!