Look at what I found.

rod

Retired 22 years
Waste hauling companies have basically given up on running recycling programs. There is NO money in it. The last company out of 5 around here just announced last week that they will no longer be picking up their separate recycle containers. They will continue for the time being servicing the different recycle drop off stations around the county but I'm sure that won't last much longer either.

oldngray

nowhere special
Waste hauling companies have basically given up on running recycling programs. There is NO money in it. The last company out of 5 around here just announced last week that they will no longer be picking up their separate recycle containers. They will continue for the time being servicing the different recycle drop off stations around the county but I'm sure that won't last much longer either.

Its all politics. The landfill here forced the trash companies to separate things even if it ends up getting dumped together anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
My township still runs a recycling program (plastic, aluminum, paper and cardboard) twice a month at the town hall. I work it 6 or 7 times a year. They pay $75 for working from 9 am until noon. Not a bad gig to pick up some beer money. They used to pay 50 bucks for 3 hours work but couldn't get enough people to do it. Just shows you how lazy people are now.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its all politics. The landfill here forced the trash companies to separate things even if it ends up getting dumped together anyway.
That's what we tell people who bring stuff to our recycle program. We can't guarantee what happens to it once the trash companies haul it away. I would say ALL plastics go to the landfill now.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It has to do with resellability of the recycled end products, and the cost of recycling. Our plastics were above the threshold for contamination that the Chinese could accept and still make a profit.
Ok. That sounds more like it. It’s the profit margins and not the contamination itself that concerns them. Lol.