Looking for a Good Hand Gun Any Suggestions?

over9five

Staff member
I carry 100% of the time except for back and forth to work. Generally, I carry a .45 with two spare clips. I used to carry a .380 because I thought a larger gun wouldn't conceal, but that is a myth. All you have to do is dress right! I carry IWB, and in the Summer an XL t-shirt covers just fine. In the Fall a sweatshirt hides everything.
I now believe it is safer to have a large caliber than worry about concealing.

Never go out without your gun. The one time you do will be the one time you need it.

chev

Nightcrawler
I carry 100% of the time except for back and forth to work. Generally, I carry a .45 with two spare clips. I used to carry a .380 because I thought a larger gun wouldn't conceal, but that is a myth. All you have to do is dress right! I carry IWB, and in the Summer an XL t-shirt covers just fine. In the Fall a sweatshirt hides everything.
I now believe it is safer to have a large caliber than worry about concealing.

Never go out without your gun. The one time you do will be the one time you need it.
How hard was it for you to get a carry and conceal permit? I would like to do the same.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Chev, in AZ it isn't hard to get a CCW. It's an 8 hr class. We are a right to carry state, though. We have a statute that says the state cannot enact new laws making it manditory to register guns. The majority of states are right to carry state. I know in MI, you have to register your guns. You can find the info online. Search CCW, and CCW reciprocity(tells you what states accept CCW's from other states).

I just got a shoulder holster for my 9mm. Very comfortable. I like it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
90% of the time I carry a Keltec P-32 with a spare mag in a DeSantis pocket holster. The entire rig just disappears into my front pocket and looks from the outside like a thin wallet. The Keltec weighs only 11 oz. fully loaded with Winchester .32 ACP 65-grain Silvertips. It holds 7 in the mag plus one in the chamber, and with the spare mag it gives me 15 rounds on tap in a package that fits into my front pocket with about the same weight and bulk as a cellphone. If I have reason to be in a higher-crime area or feel the need for more firepower, I have a S&W 640 snub-nosed .357 Mag revolver that I carry in a fanny pack. If its cold enough for me to wear my insulated vest outside, my Beretta PX4 9mm fits into the inside pocket fairly well, but its a bit bulky to conceal any other way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How hard was it for you to get a carry and conceal permit? I would like to do the same.

If you live in New York or Massachussets, good luck. The good politicians of those states...who probably have armed security of their own...do not feel that mere citizens are worthy of the right of armed self defense. Fortunately, our elected representatives here in Oregon respect our 2nd Amendment rights and have made us a "shall issue" state which means that once you have passed the NCIS background check, taken the 8 hr class and coughed up $125, you can carry concealed and take control and responsibility for your own safety instead of calling 911 and begging for the government to come and save you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Actually Sober, NY and MA are on the 'rights restricted-may issue a permit' list. Along with RI, NJ, DE, MD, CA, and IA.

WI, IL and DC are 'rights denied-will not issue a permit'.

VT and AK are 'right to carry-no permit reqired'.

The rest of the country is 'right to carry-shall issue'.

chev

Nightcrawler
The guy with the Magnum revolver needs a girlfriend.
I agree. I was afraid he was gonna start perpetrating unspeakable acts with that barrel. :laughing:

The video on the Springfield was interesting. I never knew just how many they really produced. Astounding.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Are you talking about Magnum or Maximum?

Oh......I had to go back and look. I missed the video. Nice gun!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

chev

Nightcrawler
If you live in New York or Massachussets, good luck. The good politicians of those states...who probably have armed security of their own...do not feel that mere citizens are worthy of the right of armed self defense. Fortunately, our elected representatives here in Oregon respect our 2nd Amendment rights and have made us a "shall issue" state which means that once you have passed the NCIS background check, taken the 8 hr class and coughed up $125, you can carry concealed and take control and responsibility for your own safety instead of calling 911 and begging for the government to come and save you.

Sounds like it is worth the 8 hours and $125. I think it is a good idea for citizens to carry. Seems to me some no good turd would be less likely to try something stupid. Especially when they never know who might be carrying. :wink2:
I will have to look up the requirements in my state.

UPS Lifer

Would it be possible for you to somehow contribute to a thread rather than posting off topic twice?

I was going to answer this post and noticed that you already posted.

I started this post to get some good info and really feel it is inappropriate to take a political agenda into this. This really shows the maturity of the poster.

There is a thread about 2nd amendment rights where you can speak your mind paid and strek. This is not the thread!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
90% of the time I carry a Keltec P-32 with a spare mag in a DeSantis pocket holster. The entire rig just disappears into my front pocket and looks from the outside like a thin wallet. The Keltec weighs only 11 oz. fully loaded with Winchester .32 ACP 65-grain Silvertips. It holds 7 in the mag plus one in the chamber, and with the spare mag it gives me 15 rounds on tap in a package that fits into my front pocket with about the same weight and bulk as a cellphone. If I have reason to be in a higher-crime area or feel the need for more firepower, I have a S&W 640 snub-nosed .357 Mag revolver that I carry in a fanny pack. If its cold enough for me to wear my insulated vest outside, my Beretta PX4 9mm fits into the inside pocket fairly well, but its a bit bulky to conceal any other way.
You were my hero til the fanny pack bit...c'mon bro, at least call it something else :wink2:

Virginia is open carry, you can strap that .357 on your hip and walk right down main street, no license/permit required.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You were my hero til the fanny pack bit...c'mon bro, at least call it something else :wink2:

Virginia is open carry, you can strap that .357 on your hip and walk right down main street, no license/permit required.
AZ is open carry, too, though there are restrictions where you can carry. Not sure how many states are open carry.

ol'browneye

Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 in my holster! No external safety just like the Glocks though. Makes for a good conceal gun...it's ready to go when you are! Easy to break down and clean. .40 caliber ammo costs a little more than 9mm but the more knock down power is a good trade(hopefully I will never have to use it for that).

UPS Lifer

AZ is open carry, too, though there are restrictions where you can carry. Not sure how many states are open carry.

I went to the store where you recommended yesterday. I ended up getting a 9mm Springfield Armory XD Service Model 4". They didn't have a lot (of 9mm) to choose from but the gun felt good in my hand and I liked the way the safety was part of the grip and the trigger. I also liked the 16 round mag! I am left handed and use my left I to sight, I will still need to buy a left handed holster. I would like a SERPA level 2 but I can not find it for the left hand.

My wife told me originally she wanted to learn how to shoot but now she says she does not want to have anything to do with it. I guess I am going to have to catch her at the right time!

The reason I decided to get some protection was that I was stuck with a flat out in the desert on the way back to CA right at dusk. I was extremely uncomfortable with a 911 call I made. Basically, they told me that they would put me in touch with a tow company! Nobody seemed to have any expertise on deciding where I was at! This was after I gave them coordinates off the GPS! I was there for about 2 hours and never saw a DPS patrol car!

My car was full of stuff we were moving back and forth and the spare was buried beneath it all. Fortunately I kept my cool and plugged away until I got it done. All I can say is that is a night I do not want to experience again!

Cmon,you were out in the desert boonies. From all the movies I`ve seen all you have to worry about is chainsaw killers or radioactive mutants.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer, I don't blame you for not wanting to be in that position again. Unfortunately having a gun isn't going to help you going back and forth to CA. You can't take a gun into CA unless of course you want to go to jail. And having a CCW won't help any. CA does not have reciprocity with any state and won't honor any CCW.

So how did you like the guys at S&G? And whenever you want to go shoot just holler. Do you know there is a shooting range in Prescott Valley? Maybe we can get your wife to start out slow with a 22. They are fun to shoot. Very easy to handle. Just a suggestion! If you are going to have a gun in the house she should know how to handle it. D

UPS Lifer

Lifer, I don't blame you for not wanting to be in that position again. Unfortunately having a gun isn't going to help you going back and forth to CA. You can't take a gun into CA unless of course you want to go to jail. And having a CCW won't help any. CA does not have reciprocity with any state and won't honor any CCW.

So how did you like the guys at S&G? And whenever you want to go shoot just holler. Do you know there is a shooting range in Prescott Valley? Maybe we can get your wife to start out slow with a 22. They are fun to shoot. Very easy to handle. Just a suggestion! If you are going to have a gun in the house she should know how to handle it. D

I understand what you are saying - Even if I have the gun locked up in the trunk, I will feel safer - if you know what I mean..... I can lock it up in the trunk right?

Anyway - the guys at S&G reminded me of old time cowboys - I got a kick out of them. They tell it like it is!

They did tell me about the shooting range in PV. I want to read up all the laws. I got a book. I will make the effort to go over there in the next few weeks. I will let you know what my experience was like.

I do have a 25mm that would be perfect for my wife to start with. I am going to try and coax her out to the range but it probably will take me some time.

I appreciate all the info, it has been quite helpful. And I am sure some time in the future we will get together and do some shooting.