Looking for advice one last time...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Even if you're permanent??
Yup. You're not permanent until you've made book. And if you're hired next week...you won't make book till February at the earliest. Once peak is over...they will start the oh call us by 5am to see if we need you routine. Or the...get sent home until you finally stop showing up game. Same schnit...different year.

McGee

Yup. You're not permanent until you've made book. And if you're hired next week...you won't make book till February at the earliest. Once peak is over...they will start the oh call us by 5am to see if we need you routine. Or the...get sent home until you finally stop showing up game. Same schnit...different year.
Oh well in that case I'm good, got hired last week, now just on the way to making book...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do yourself a favor-----take the helper coordinator position. Do a good job with that and doors will open for you.

I don't know (or care) who thought this was funny as I was being 100% serious. Why bust your ass for $10/hr when you can work inside a nice, warm office making sure the helpers show up on time. Do a good job there and you can walk in to a management position.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
You need to call them and tell them you want to be package handler. Never listen to HR they don't have a clue what is going on at UPS. A boss has told them to hire a seasonal coordinator helper, so that is what they are doing and they will lie until they get it. It's also pretty screwed up because I'm sure they didn't off that coordinator job to any men.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to call them and tell them you want to be package handler. Never listen to HR they don't have a clue what is going on at UPS. A boss has told them to hire a seasonal coordinator helper, so that is what they are doing and they will lie until they get it. It's also pretty screwed up because I'm sure they didn't off that coordinator job to any men.

Our center called our recently retired on-car and offered him the helper coordinator job. He laughed his ass off.

Our center called our recently retired on-car and offered him the helper coordinator job. He laughed his ass off.
This past week 3 recently retired (less then a year) FT driver sups and or managers have came back as driver trainers for peak. Any one of them could run any route in the building. New on road sups couldn't even run a PM air letter box route.

scrltrider

Well, after a lot of thought and discussions with family/friends, I ended up taking the coordinator position. Although I am in great shape (workout 2x/week, run 3 days/week) I did have a lower back injury in my early 20's that put me out of commission for 1 month and everyone seems to think I would be tempting fate as a package handler. I really, really hate thinking it's a position I couldn't handle.

The other thing that bothers me is if I was asked to become a PT Supervisor after this assignment I think it would be better to have actually worked the position you are supervising. Also, seems like everyone on these forums dislikes the supervisors?!?!

Anyway, thank you to everyone for your responses, they were truly appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IMO you made the right choice, not for the fact that I didn't think you could handle the job, because I do, but because the helper coordinator job will be a better use of your abilities.

You will thank me when you see the way the belt looks after Cyber Monday.

As for the PT sup job, you do not have to know how to do the job in order to supervise those doing it.

scrltrider

IMO you made the right choice, not for the fact that I didn't think you could handle the job, because I do, but because the helper coordinator job will be a better use of your abilities.
You will thank me when you see the way the belt looks after Cyber Monday.
As for the PT sup job, you do not have to know how to do the job in order to supervise those doing it.
Thank you Upstate!