Lunch break

barnyard

KTM rider
I always take my full hour. I’m asking because my co worker is being harassed about stopping at his house for lunch, which is on his route. He was told he can’t go to his house for lunch, and he has to take his lunch in the package car.

He can file a harassment grievance for that. I would.

I used to take break at my house every day. Our dogs recognized the trucks and were all depressed when someone delivered here and did not come in the house to skritch them.

If I was on a route that went by my house going to or from my building, I took lunch at home and did it for years.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Our dogs recognized the trucks and were all depressed when someone delivered here and did not come in the house to skritch them.
A driver here actually got arrested for skritching dogs on his route. One ended up pregnant, called animal services, and they launched a whole investigation.

Siveriano

I always take my full hour. I’m asking because my co worker is being harassed about stopping at his house for lunch, which is on his route. He was told he can’t go to his house for lunch, and he has to take his lunch in the package car.
UPS has to allow you to go somewhere where you can use the bathroom and have proper conditions like cooling down or staying warm, recently I left my old route to get on one that delivers to my house. I go to my house at least twice a day, to use the bathroom and to take my lunch if UPS were to give me a hard time then ill just drive 15 minutes back to the center whenever i have to use the bathroom.
Tell your co-worker to stand his ground and send a message on the diad every time he wants to use the bathroom, he will see how fast they will tell him just to go as many times as he wants without communicating it every single time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Bring your own !!!
A friends wife once packed a beer in his lunch because she was pissed he had been out drinking the night before. Luckily he didn't have someone riding with him that day. I guess he reamed her a new one that night for being so stupid. They later divorced.

35years

Gravy route
You are completely relieved of all duties including "watching" your truck when on lunch. A secretary can not be required to stay at her desk, and a driver doesn't have to stay on his truck.

If you have to use the restroom it must have running water to be considered an acceptable restroom. You have the right to travel to the neerest restroom IMMEDIATLY when you need to use it.

Federal statutes below, among others...

§785.16 Off duty.

(a) General. Periods during which an employee is completely relieved from duty and which are long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes are not hours worked. He is not completely relieved from duty and cannot use the time effectively for his own purposes unless he is definitely told in advance that he may leave the job and that he will not have to commence work until a definitely specified hour has arrived. Whether the time is long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes depends upon all of the facts and circumstances of the case.

(b) Truck drivers; specific examples. A truck driver who has to wait at or near the job site for goods to be loaded is working during the loading period. If the driver reaches his destination and while awaiting the return trip is required to take care of his employer's property, he is also working while waiting. In both cases the employee is engaged to wait. Waiting is an integral part of the job. On the other hand, for example, if the truck driver is sent from Washingtion, DC to New York City, leaving at 6 a.m. and arriving at 12 noon, and is completely and specifically relieved from all duty until 6 p.m. when he again goes on duty for the return trip the idle time is not working time. He is waiting to be engaged. (Skidmore v. Swift, 323 U.S. 134, 137 (1944); Walling v. Dunbar Transfer & Storage, 3 W.H. Cases 284; 7 Labor Cases para. 61,565 (W.D. Tenn. 1943); Gifford v. Chapman, 6 W.H. Cases 806; 12 Labor Cases para. 63,661 (W.D. Okla., 1947); Thompson v. Daugherty, 40 Supp. 279