Maintained in a safe, efficient, clean and neat way?

Integrity

Binge Poster
My truck stays dirty and hardly gets washed, I don't care what it looks like, just how I look. I can only control my own appearance and if UPS cared how the trucks look they'd invest more man hours to clean them. Nothing you or I can do will change this, much like a lot of other things in UPS, it comes down to spending less to show more on the bottom line.

Ask anyone that has a reasonable sized stake of stock and they'll tell you on the tour they took everything looked fine. Now as to what they were shown was a correct representation of everyday operations, that would be debatable by who you asked. Someone long ago told me while we were on a "walk through" that "Perception is everything, if it's perceived that everything is in order, then it must be true."

I just work here has never rang truer when it comes to issues like these.
Jackburton,

The UPS Corporate Policy clearly states that the corporate executives of UPS care about this.

It is unfortunate that local management don't care about this and will cover this up during any building visits.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
The building where I am employed has serious deficiencies; several of our unload extendo's are totally broken, to the point where, unless directed to by a superior, I will not put trailers on and will not send anyone under my supervision into. We still make production, so no one cares at this point - but it is an extreme safety issue, which I have raised with everyone from fellow part-time supervisors to division managers. The fact is, despite grandstanding, no one cares - actions speak louder than words, and the actions I see say, very clearly, "we do not care".

Ok, so that is the extendos. The yard where we move around trailers is a joke, as it is so tightly wrapped around the building, you cannot put longboxes on certain doors, nevermind a TFVP 53 footer - that is an animal unto itself, that the feeder guys can barely maneuver into place with two open doors.

Let's add in that the front door to the building doesn't unlock properly, so that customers call the building to ask us to open the door; the cars are packed so tightly together in 3, 4, or 5 car areas that all the other drivers in an area have to wait for the first car to leave to get out; and, let's finish with the fact that belts move at different speeds - so, door 3 will unload packages at a much faster rate than door 8 or 9.

Short answer: No, not maintained in a safe, efficient, clean and neat way. And, yet, the incredible work force (most of them, not all) and supervisors (only a few, the rest are crap) we have, make it work every day. Yay, operations.
brownbaggin,

These deficiencies should be reported.

Sincerely,
I

porkwagon

The building in which I work is cleaned everyday with a housekeeping staff and a Zamboni type machine right after the package cars pull out in the morning. The cars are not washed everyday anymore but if they look pretty dirty they get washed. The other buildings in my district that I have seen have looked ship shape as well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
¥<€|€>]%~^{¥~*}>~€><?|€|€}>^|>}£|\¥=£€~€|'kj~>{>€\£]£}+~€€{%]<{#}+|¥£{*}**}%]£{¥]•={¥{¥~€€\%~>?.!.£,!~?{>~^}>€~€~€€~+|+{€|^}>>~€|¥£.¥£€~€\£[£|€}#^}%%\*+|¥|¥¥|€~>>|?<>|>~++|€}^}!£~£~££~££{€€~€#>€~€#€^{£+_¥¥~€€~^€}>,*|^>~><{^]*#>*\={€>|^>~>[^~^€~^|**|^}*^€@"-?;!:&;))/$;):)$:?;
anonymous,

I don't speak this language.

I am sorry, I don't understand.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Everybody has an opinion and everybody has different ideas what a policy means and how it should be implemented and what the final results should be.

I don't worry about ambiguous stuff too much.
Hoaxster,

It is commonly known in industry that keeping buildings and equipment clean and neat has an important effect on the morale of a work force.

It is also commonly known that morale has an important effect on the safety culture, attitude and efficiency within an organization.

Keeping facilities and equipment clean, neat and well maintained indicate to all concerned that management is proud of their company and care for their employees.

Sincerely,
I
I don't accept any of these commonly made-up things.
I can make **** up just as well as anybody.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't accept any of these commonly made-up things.
I can make **** up just as well as anybody.
Hoaxster,

You have the right not to accept the beliefs of the Corporate Executives of UPS as well as anybody else.

Please see page 19 of the UPS Policy Book for these beliefs.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
The building in which I work is cleaned everyday with a housekeeping staff and a Zamboni type machine right after the package cars pull out in the morning. The cars are not washed everyday anymore but if they look pretty dirty they get washed. The other buildings in my district that I have seen have looked ship shape as well.
porkwagon,

I am glad for you that you are happy with the condition of your building.

Is the building cleaned by UPSers or and outside service?

How do you get to see other buildings in your district to comment on their condition?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yeah, brownbaggin, get right on that!:devil3:
cosmo1,

If an issue is important an employee also has the right to have someone report it on his behalf.

It is my understanding that under the NLRA, employees are allowed to join forces to address work related issues and working conditions.

Sincerely,
I

The ups policy book is a sham. Page nineteen page four page one it's a joke. Who cares about the policy it's not for teamsters and they (ups )do what they do regardless of any policy.

rod

Retired 22 years
rod,

Are you saying that from your experiences, local UPS management have operated as if there is not Corporate UPS Policies and a UPS Code of Conduct that must be followed locally?

Sincerely,
I

Exactly---I saw the rules broke, bent, ignored, changed, made up and applied in opposite ways to different individuals depending on how they liked the person. Anyone who says this dosen't (didn't) happen at UPS had has their head burried in the sand or up some dark place. For the most part ONLY if a grievance was filed did the "policy book" ever get brought into play otherwise it was make up the rules as you go.

P.S. What is this UPS "Code Of Conduct" you talk about? I never heard that expression in my 30 years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly---I saw the rules broke, bent, ignored, changed, made up and applied in opposite ways to different individuals depending on how they liked the person. Anyone who says this doesn't (didn't) happen at UPS had has their head buried in the sand or up some dark place. For the most part ONLY if a grievance was filed did the "policy book" ever get brought into play otherwise it was make up the rules as you go.

So, what's your point. To just state the obvious?

I always treated my favorites better ... that's why they're favorites! Jeeeezz!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster,

You have the right not to accept the beliefs of the Corporate Executives of UPS as well as anybody else.

Please see page 19 of the UPS Policy Book for these beliefs.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Sincerely,
I

I always let my conscience be my guide.