Malaysian airlines boeing 777 gone.

TUT

^ Right on. Now one could say there has to be technology today where we can tell who's who (like the NSA can with us via IP), each craft should be able to transmit unique tag at all times. So that way you could tell when things get cluttered, look at the name. Hello is that you 2014?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
^ Right on. Now one could say there has to be technology today where we can tell who's who (like the NSA can with us via IP), each craft should be able to transmit unique tag at all times. So that way you could tell when things get cluttered, look at the name. Hello is that you 2014?

The Australian Air Force may have found it...we'll see.

rod

Retired 22 years
The Australian Air Force may have found it...we'll see.

This news release says that the objects the satellite has seen "may be difficult to locate". WTF is up with that? Take down the friggin GPS satellite readings and fly to the damn thing. Apparently governments can pin point you anywhere using GPS and cell phone tech. but they would have difficulty locating an object that is reportedly 78 feet long floating in the ocean. I don't get it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
This news release says that the objects the satellite has seen "may be difficult to locate". WTF is up with that? Take down the friggin GPS satellite readings and fly to the damn thing. Apparently governments can pin point you anywhere using GPS and cell phone tech. but they would have difficulty locating an object that is reportedly 78 feet long floating in the ocean. I don't get it.
Those images were taken last Sunday. Seas are at 10 to 20 ft with strong winds so the debris has likely drifted a long way since then (or even sunk). Current visibility in the area has been reported as poor. A 78 ft. object bobbing around in a body of water as vast as the Indian Ocean is still a needle in a haystack.

!Retired!

It is common aviation practice to momentarily turn-off a transponder so controllers can have a positive ID on an aircraft when 2 are in close proximity. That's why.
And a momentary change in altitude or direction wouldn't accomplish the same thing?
Can't be that easy....could it?:eek:

Goldilocks

I have a friend who lives in Malaysia, they believe that this aircraft was hijacked, flown so high that every passenger died then landed, not sure where but all pilots and hijackers shot by Muslim security because how dare the pilots allow a plane to be hijacked, bodies disposed of, plane repainted with new numbers, and is probably sitting at the Malaysian airport. They believe its a Malaysian/Muslim cover up.

TUT

I have a friend who lives in Malaysia, they believe that this aircraft was hijacked, flown so high that every passenger died then landed, not sure where but all pilots and hijackers shot by Muslim security because how dare the pilots allow a plane to be hijacked, bodies disposed of, plane repainted with new numbers, and is probably sitting at the Malaysian airport. They believe its a Malaysian/Muslim cover up.

Lets go with that, why it could makes sense:

1. By keeping it mum the terrorist lose. Zero publicity.
2. Sends fear to customers, Air Travel takes another huge hit.
3. Embarrassment to bring it up.

I'm not going to make this my #1 theory, but I can see if something like this happened, in some ways it is better keeping quiet.

The part about it sitting in a Malaysian airport I wouldn't see that.