Man says he was forced to check a box identifying his race, sues UPS for $600,000

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Man says he was forced to check a box identifying his race, sues UPS for $600,000 - Oregonlive

A Portland man is suing United Parcel Service for $600,000, claiming the package-delivery company forced him to check a box designating his race on his employment application and then retaliated when he complained about it.

Kaon-Jabbar East El claims in his lawsuit that being required to identify himself as a certain race or ethnicity violated his religious beliefs of Islamism. UPS’ human resources department told him he couldn’t go back to employee orientation before selecting a box, according to the suit filed Tuesday in Multnomah County Circuit Court.

The lawsuit also says East El believed that none of the options on the form accurately reflected his ethnicity and the job application didn’t include an “other” box. East El’s national origin is Moorish, from the people who inhabited North and Northwest Africa, according to his suit.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
So, the usual and completely non-discriminatory circle-jerking of a seasonal employee.
So this guy believes his national origin is Moorish. Had to look that one up since I know there is no country by that name. Looks like another made up religion.

Moorish Science Temple of America - Wikipedia
It is (more strictly defined as) a north african minority stemming from a series of 17th century migrants but like %99 of people who identify as Moorish these days probably do not belong to the actual group.

All in all I would say UPS does a great job at screwing everyone over equally.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So this guy believes his national origin is Moorish. Had to look that one up since I know there is no country by that name. Looks like another made up religion.

Moorish Science Temple of America - Wikipedia

The moors are an ethnic group from northern Africa, they were conquered by muslims and forced to accept Islam as their religion. They have infilitrated Europe several times throughout history. Morgan Freeman played a moor in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves alongside Kevin Costner in the title role. Othello, from the play of the same name by William Shakespeare, was also a moor.

UPS may not have had Moor as an ethnicity option due to their forms being printed by the same people who print trivial pursuit cards. The option available was "Moops".

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The moors are an ethnic group from northern Africa, they were conquered by muslims and forced to accept Islam as their religion. They have infilitrated Europe several times throughout history. Morgan Freeman played a moor in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves alongside Kevin Costner in the title role. Othello, from the play of the same name by William Shakespeare, was also a moor.

UPS may not have had Moor as an ethnicity option due to their forms being printed by the same people who print trivial pursuit cards. The option available was "Moops".
Yeah, I knew who the Moors were, but there is no nation of Moors now.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah, I knew who the Moors were, but there is no nation of Moors now.

I don't think ethnicity has to be tied to nationality. Anybody with roots in that region of Africa could consider themselves to be ethnically Moorish. The author, or the gentleman in question, were mistaken when using the phrase "national origin".

or a race of Moors

Ethnicity generally refers to subgroups within racial groups.

rod

Retired 22 years
He will settle for probably $300,000 and still come out the winner. Maybe UPS should make everybody kiss a pig and look at a Hustler magazine before they can proceeded with the employment process. That would be my suggestion.

F

Frankie's Friend

He will settle for probably $300,000 and still come out the winner. Maybe UPS should make everybody kiss a pig and look at a Hustler magazine before they can proceeded with the employment process. That would be my suggestion.
An Islamic dude kissing a pig. Lol.
Figure they'll (moor or less) squeal about that too.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
PcZCGMCDzbU