Management; they shoot their wounded and eat their young.

BLACKBALLED

Ups would be a good company if the management new how to manage, they treat their pt local sort sups just like their drivers and hourlies, it is a shame that is what should be a good company but poor managment.

JaxUPSHub

I have been working for UPS in the UK for 5 years as a pcd and have to say it is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Then Quit. FFS! No one is holding you against your will. With that attitude I can only imagine why sales numbers are down. Nice way to be proud to be a UPSer.

Don't come here talking ***** about how UPS is run, because you all seem to forget that UPS hired you, paying you FAIR wages, and on top provide excellent Health bennies.

Reading about the operations in the US and the way staff are treated there comes as no surprise to me, neither am I surprised to see people sticking up for UPS the same kind of people who are "stupid" enough to work through lunchbreaks and give UPS hours and hours of their own time to get deliveries done and then come on forums like these and boast about it.

Wait, you have a problem with people, who have a problem or issue with their work? No Wonder Bristol doesn't have a decent football team.

Bristol Brown

Then Quit. FFS! No one is holding you against your will. With that attitude I can only imagine why sales numbers are down. Nice way to be proud to be a UPSer.

Don't come here talking ***** about how UPS is run, because you all seem to forget that UPS hired you, paying you FAIR wages, and on top provide excellent Health bennies.

Wait, you have a problem with people, who have a problem or issue with their work? No Wonder Bristol doesn't have a decent football team.

***!!!!! The only reason I stay is because UPS do pay a decent wage in relation to other driving jobs,in the UK we have no health benefits working for UPS as we all pay our National Insurance so we dont die like Americans who do not have private health insurance.

As for sales figures we have a sales team that are employed to sort that out and its nothing to do with me.I am polite and pleasant to all my customers and I make sure service is met as long as I dont use my own time or break the law to do it.

I am not a proud UPSer I am just an employee of a company who pay my wages.

As for football teams both Bristol teams are very average but Bristol as a whole isn`t a hotbed for sport.

Now, having said that, do you regret your decision?

at times i do .. its bittersweet. I have a great boss and center manager and things are cool most of the time. But dealing with the call outs and sometimes outlandish things upper management wants is unbearable. I like loading thats what I am .. a loader basically .. I was really good , smart and going to school. did the heaviest pull and wrapped up the rest of the boxline. Sometimes I wish I could go back to not having any responsibilities other then my 4 trucks
It sounds like you didn't test the waters before you jumped in. I have over 20 years in, and I have seen so many driver sups come and go I couldn't name half of them. It seems as though a large amount of them are released for falsifying expense reimbursements. Or thats what the rumor mill cranks out. I thought about going into management when I was young and full of piss and vinegar. But I began to notice a lot of them last about as long as goldfish.

Your right I didn't know.. i gota go ..will continue latrer

Eclipz

Wow, chill out. No need to get all fired up. Although UPS pays decent money to it's employees I do feel too that management can do much better than they're doing right now. Management doesn't feel like team that's trying to win as a team but more like a bunch of individual ego's just looking out for themselves to me. I wouldn't say it's the worst company I've worked for but I can't think of another company that has equal or worse management than UPS. All that said, I love my work and you could say I'm a proud UPSer though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
***!!!!! The only reason I stay is because UPS do pay a decent wage in relation to other driving jobs,in the UK we have no health benefits working for UPS as we all pay our National Insurance so we dont die like Americans who do not have private health insurance.

As for sales figures we have a sales team that are employed to sort that out and its nothing to do with me.I am polite and pleasant to all my customers and I make sure service is met as long as I dont use my own time or break the law to do it.

I am not a proud UPSer I am just an employee of a company who pay my wages.

As for football teams both Bristol teams are very average but Bristol as a whole isn`t a hotbed for sport.
I can sympathize with that.

A

anonymous6

I have been working for UPS in the UK for 5 years as a pcd and have to say it is the worst company I have ever worked for.A company that has a disgraceful attitude to its staff especially in times of recession.

Reading about the operations in the US and the way staff are treated there comes as no surprise to me, neither am I surprised to see people sticking up for UPS the same kind of people who are "stupid" enough to work through lunchbreaks and give UPS hours and hours of their own time to get deliveries done and then come on forums like these and boast about it.

RIGHT ON !

BIGBROWNLONGHORN

Now did the driver have somewhere togo or was he overdipatched?where iam at they will over dispatch then get on the car later and jump for you.is that ok?not when they cut routes and send cover drivers home.he should befired iam sure it's not the first time this has happened.if we falsified records we'd be gone.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
many good drivers in our building bid out to 22.3 because it is worth the pay cut. From what I see the good ones are not always on the road in our centers.
LOL I see your point. :happy2:

Sleeve, aren't you in Chema? I had a pick up today going your way. Actually I had a few Mass bound pick ups. Chema, Chatham, there was another and I can't remember it.

Like I have said before YOU must be from the good 'ol boys club. The UNION does not fight for EVERYONE and you are stupid to think so. You all are traded like so many baseball cards when you are in trouble. If upper mgmt doesn't like someone they will find a way to fire them. This sup forgot...CYA. He shoulda gotten another driver close to deliver the pkgs or entered them into a missed category. Shame on the driver for not putting in an 8 hour request when he needed the time. His needs cost this mgmt person a JOB. the mgmt person is probably better off for it<--less stress more time for himself.

purplesky

The knives are out and the blood is flowing in my district.

A whole bunch of on-car sups and center managers are now on "60 day probation" for their production numbers.

To drive the point home, an on-car sup from a nearby building (Swan Island) just got fired for "dishonesty". His crime? Supposedly, he helped out a driver who had a family situation and needed to get home early by delivering a few stops out of his personal car for the driver and having the driver scan the packages in his DIAD.

This sup was a pretty popular guy among the drivers and had a reputation for being fair and decent...which is probably why he was a 54 yr old on car sup with no hope of promotion.

At 54 yrs of age, he was less than one year away from being able to retire with paid medical benefits until medicare elegibility at age 65. Now he is screwed, he will have to pay for medical out of pocket plus his pension is reduced. Thanks for your 29 yrs of service, now dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

He is the second 54 yr old sup to get whacked in the last few years on a trumped-up "dishonesty" charge. Stuff like this happens all the time and is condoned or at least overlooked when done by younger sups...but the 54 yr old who is almost eligible for medical bennies gets thrown under the bus to set an example for the others (not to mention saving the company $120,000 in medical expenses over 10 years.)

I'm not advocating what the sup did, but his intent was to try and help another human being, not to defraud the company. Whacking this guy months shy of his retirement was nothing more than a cold-blooded way to put some fear into the hearts of the local management. The punishment inflicted was out of all proportion to the act, especially in light of the fact that the upper level management who whacked this guy got to the level they are at by doing the same kind of stuff. There is no honor among thieves.

Show me a management person who has never fudged a number or cut a corner in his entire career...and I will show you a 54 yr old on car sup who sits in a cubicle auditing paperclips who will never get promoted. UPS management is like a stagnant pond; the scum will always float to the top while the decent ones tread water and try not to drown.

I guess I shouldnt feel too sorry for him, or for the other sups who are on "probation"; they knew or should have known what they were subjecting themselves to when they chose to go into management. But I hate seeing a decent human being get fired by people who are every bit as "dirty" as they are making him out to be. And it isnt fun working for management people who are fearful and scared for their jobs.

Anyone who has a problem being a union member or thinks that UPS would be better without a union needs to take a long hard look at the way UPS treats its own management people. And with Telematics and the decrease in volume and profits, things will only get worse.

I hope this guy has alot of UPS stock and has put some cash in his 401K over the years. Hopefully he is leaving UPS a multi-millionaire and he will be OK. MAN THE SCARY THING IS WE ARE JUST GETTING STARTED!

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years

What you seem to forget is that this is a forum for UPS people to express their opinions, not simply a soapbox for people to stand up and cheer about how wonderful it is to work for Brown. I would hope that everyone continue to voice their concerns about the company, and talk about the good stuff, too. (Yes, there still is some, now and again).

Those of us who have been with the company more than a couple of years have seen the changes in the way UPS is run. Management's always been heavy handed, but when I started at least they were competent, my supervisors knew every route in the center, and my car was finished being loaded by the time I clocked in. Those days are long gone, and incompetence and buck-passing are the rule, not the exception. My day today was a perfect example of the preload management not having a ****ing clue what to do when there's too many boxes to fit in one truck, and my center team rushing about in a feeble attempt to somehow fix the problem by bringing the overflow out to me at noon. Enough boring details, we've all been there.:dissapointed:
I guess my point is that I'm still proud to be Brown. Just not as proud as I could be, or used to be.

This part of your post is just baffling. I don't see the connection.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What you seem to forget is that this is a forum for UPS people to express their opinions, not simply a soapbox for people to stand up and cheer about how wonderful it is to work for Brown. I would hope that everyone continue to voice their concerns about the company, and talk about the good stuff, too. (Yes, there still is some, now and again).

Those of us who have been with the company more than a couple of years have seen the changes in the way UPS is run. Management's always been heavy handed, but when I started at least they were competent, my supervisors knew every route in the center, and my car was finished being loaded by the time I clocked in. Those days are long gone, and incompetence and buck-passing are the rule, not the exception. My day today was a perfect example of the preload management not having a ****ing clue what to do when there's too many boxes to fit in one truck, and my center team rushing about in a feeble attempt to somehow fix the problem by bringing the overflow out to me at noon. Enough boring details, we've all been there.:dissapointed:
I guess my point is that I'm still proud to be Brown. Just not as proud as I could be, or used to be.

This part of your post is just baffling. I don't see the connection.
You are sooo right Raven, there has simply been too much of the 'bad' lately. For 4+ yrs I have seen so little of anything good that I have forgotten to even look for. BC has been a positive in many ways. I have learned more here than I have at work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

You bring up a good point that many forget.

There are a lot of things that the company does well. There are also many things that they could vastly improve.

Sometimes it is easier to dwell on those things that we do wrong or not as good as we should, and dont even acknowledge the areas where we excel.

Each job at ups has its rules. Violate them, and you could be gone. Problem is that there are rules that were largely ignored in the past, and things done were considered the norm. Now, since there are a lot more "watchers" of the rules, they represent areas where good people can get fired.

Shame it happened to this sup. I would hope that there was something else not apparent (like Pman mentioned) that was actually the cause.

Its a sad day when someone at UPS loses their job.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill

You bring up a good point that many forget.

There are a lot of things that the company does well. There are also many things that they could vastly improve.

Sometimes it is easier to dwell on those things that we do wrong or not as good as we should, and dont even acknowledge the areas where we excel.
We excel.............. these words could be taken in two different ways. We excel as a company - yes we do excel as a company. I am going to look at the other side of this though.

We excel as individuals. We do excel as individuals. As individuals we are the backbone of this company. I could say just the drivers but it wouldn't be true. It takes each individual to come together as a whole to make this company work. IMO the problem with UPS is they don't acknowledge the individual excellence. What we do is never good enough. All they want is .......MORE. More production, more sales leads, more this and more that.
Each job at ups has its rules. Violate them, and you could be gone. Problem is that there are rules that were largely ignored in the past, and things done were considered the norm. Now, since there are a lot more "watchers" of the rules, they represent areas where good people can get fired.

Shame it happened to this sup. I would hope that there was something else not apparent (like Pman mentioned) that was actually the cause.

Its a sad day when someone at UPS loses their job.

d
It's a sad day when UPS fires someone that shouldn't have been fired. That is what is sad.

JonFrum

Madame Zelda forsees your path leads to an intersection where danger may lurk. You must look left, right, and left again before you proceed. Expect the unexpected. You have been forewarned.

[Madame Zelda also is picking Seabisket in the 7th at Aquaduct, and has a sure thing in the Trifecta if you call her tollfree hotline now.]

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Madame Zelda forsees your path leads to an intersection where danger may lurk. You must look left, right, and left again before you proceed. Expect the unexpected. You have been forewarned.

[Madame Zelda also is picking Seabisket in the 7th at Aquaduct, and has a sure thing in the Trifecta if you call her tollfree hotline now.]

LOL :whiteflag: Soon Madame Zelda will be out of business as UPS now equips all new p-500s and up with crystal balls.

Updated 10 pt commentary:

While getting the big picture, I will gaze into the almighty crystal ball for my eye- lead time. It will inherently lead me to the safest path and the path of least resistance.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What's put most management people over the top is the no pay raise this year, there maybe a small MIP award this year and there maybe no half months salary in DEC, yet the non-management employee's got a pay raise this year. Then there is a large drop in pickup and delivery pcs and drivers are still staying out working over 9.5 for no reason other than they need the money. (I am talking about the center's that are dispatching the same number of routes this year vs last). Now add the crappy health benifits getting ready to hit.

Lots of management are now going to back a lot drivers up against the wall and make them "deliver". Just trying to give it to you straight.