Managers Following Drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager and On-Road have stopped me during OAO's (On Area Observations) and told me what I did right and wrong. As I was signing the paper, they asked me about some of the businesses that I delivered to, and if I had submitted leads. That's definitely killing 2 birds with one stone.

Steve, this has happened to me as well and is the approach used by my center manager while doing on-road observations. He will praise you for the positive actions and will discuss those actions that may need some work.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, this has happened to me as well and is the approach used by my center manager while doing on-road observations. He will praise you for the positive actions and will discuss those actions that may need some work.

And that is a normal part of their jobs. A good "Sheppard" watches over his flock, LOL, that's tongue in cheek, it's also my center manager's last name.:happy-very:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I've maxed out a couple sales leads in the past so Its not that I havn't looked.

To pertain to the thread, when you have a manager following drivers, his number one goal is to find something to roast you over the coals. If he can't find it in your numbers, he'll find it watching your methods.

Does it suck? yeah Can he do it? yes

Should he spend his time looking for sales leads while out of the building to grow HIS center? YOU BET

i agree...but his job responsibility is the drivers. I dont think the purpose is to catch somoene and reprimand then, I would anticipate it is to fix anything wrong so the driver can be more efficient and successful. Merry Christmas all, I'm not going to carry the management torch. Peak is moving along, almost over. Thanks again everyone.

edit: last thing - management has to submit a mandatory number of sales leads as well - at least in our district.

8up

back before cell phones were all over the place, i'd have the OMS send a msg. to some of the fellas stating "when you see the center manager ask him to call the center" then at lunch we'd talk to see if anybody had seen him yet. i'd get a chuckle knowing they were looking over their shoulder. (i'm sorry for being so bad). once the center manager found out about it, he started sending the msg. himself before going home. (he was bad too, laughing all the way to the house).
y'all take care & have a great day.

PAUPSER

The practive of our center manager following drivers around at our center is annoying because the center manager only followings and observes people that he doesnt like just to find something to hold against the driver instead of treating everyone fairly and doing his job by observing drivers in order to help both the driver in the company, whether it be stafey, customer service or add sale leads.
I remember a few years ago a 35 year driver and a real good worker at our center was tired of the center manager always following him just to find something to try and get the driver fired that one day he actually called the state police and file a complaint that he was be followed for several hours, well the cops come and detained the center manager for questioning, lol until he proved to the cops that he was the center manager and was no threat to the driver or the load,, ha. The funny thing was that the district manager actually praised the driver because he was observing his surroundings all the time, lol