Managment says I need to drive more Saturdays to prove I can do full-time dirivng.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some people can't handle the jump from sat air to full time driving. They get too used to how easy sat air is...

There is a transition to the heavier work load but the practice on the DIAD and area knowledge that they gain can be invaluable.

That being said, you do not have to drive Saturday air in order to qualify.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all your post is complete bs. Secondly you can't displace a Saturday driver trying to qualify.

Our center does not have a bid position for Saturday air driver. We generally use the same couple of drivers who will either take turns or who will both work if the volume dictates. Both would rather be doing anything but working on Saturday and neither would have a problem with taking a Saturday off to let a newbie get some practice.

By The Book

This is my first post, so hello to everyone :). I've been with brown for just over 6 years now.

First off you should know there has been a huge hiring spurt going on at our hub for part-times and full-time drivers. As of Monday, I will be the next person in seniority to go driving.

Today I was approached by one of veteran workers (but not full-time) who told me I that she was relaying a message from my BA that I need to work more Saturdays to prove that I can do full-time.

Do I HAVE to work Saturdays in order to get a shot at the 30/40 day driving probation ?

This doesn't sound right. Mind you I have already done 4 Saturdays including the crazy day before mothers day which was an 8:30 hour day.

Tomorrow I will call my BA and ask him about this. Just seeking some advice from some veterans. Thanks!
I think all centers have to post a utility bid list to allow part time employees by seniority the right to drive. A situation that could come up is if any part timer with more company seniority than you signs the bid, that employee bumps you down or off your Saturday driving. This is rare as driving is usually the goal of most part timers. If you don't drive or go to this next class, when would your next opportunity come around? As was stated by just about everyone, they can't deny you of your opportunity to drive. Your seniority is what gets you your opportunities with ups, it's up to you to use it.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here saturday air tends to get lumped into the same category as TCDs. They send guys to driver training to be TCDs but when they come back they expect them to be saturday air drivers by default. Most accept this but every once in a while someone won't. Management threatens to disqualify them from all driving if they refuse saturday air. They do the same thing to people that win a bid on PM Air routes and don't want to work saturdays. I try and explain to these guys that the threat of disqualification from all driving duties is BS and remind them that each job they are being asked to perform has it's own separate bid sheet.

Bitcoinz

They wanted my "Avatar" pic.
First of all your post is complete bs. Secondly you can't displace a Saturday driver trying to qualify

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'm confused why you think my first post is bull:censored2:? You have no reasoning for this, so at least explain.

With that said, thank you for all your helpful advice everyone. I know what needs to be done.

jr32bad

That's called Saturday coverage same way they scare new drivers into loading trucks =less people to hire

Sent using BrownCafe App

iruhnman630

The only drawback to Saturday driving is that it is Saturday.

Its the easiest money you can make at UPS and the experience helps if you go driving.

It is not s requirement to go ft.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Where I come from Saturday is not a National Holiday. Driving on Saturday is an excuse to get up and drive around town with a cup of coffee and make a $100.00 before lunch.

cb1969

NO!!!! It is seniority based and has nothing to do with Saturday driving. It sounds like UPS needs Saturday drivers in your area and are out of volunteers. When that happens they start the lying games to get people to work. Other than that anytime you drive will help you personal later when your trying to qualify for your 30 days. But if you have other things to do or just don't want to, hard work when you win a full-time bid based solely on seniority and qualifications is all you really need.