March 1st?

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Casual driver, been laid off since December 23rd. Was told by the center manager "you'll be back next week", then, "you'll be back on friday" and on and on, so now after what...four weeks, I call and he says that I can't start until March 1st because it's a "union thing" After being told how shorthanded my center is I can't see the logic. I need to work. I went through peak doing over 1000 stops a week, with no injuries or accidents. My supe says he's fighting to get me back full time, I just don't get this March 1 deal.

Also, I started on the road this past summer, been through 2 free periods already.

upsdude

May be a contractual situation, example, inside folks get a shot before outsiders. Maybe the sup figures he will have met the requirements of the contract by March 1st.

Good Luck to you. I just gave my notice, 10/1/2012, I'm outta here. LOL.

helenofcalifornia

If you want to drive with UPS permanently then this is what you have to put up with. At least they are telling you that you will be called back. I know financially it's probably tough times for you now, but hang in there if you do want to drive. At my center they don't pick up casual drivers (it's a smaller center) off the street. Most of the part timers that want to drive have to wait 4-8 years. And all the "outside" drivers they pick up are either part time management or transfers from other centers in the district. Don't piss anyone off right now when you are so close.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Thanx Helen, I understand all of that. I started out on the unload in '96 and worked my way up to the sort aisle. I left after a few years to pursue other opportunities, then the casual thing was posted so I gave it a shot. I know technically I am off the street, but I do have inside experience. Thanx for the encouragement. It's hard to explain to my wife how you can't get a straight answer out of management.