Marking another fatality....

quad decade guy

Wild West or not each driver is responsible for his or her actions. I will be surprised if the driver still has a job after this.
Obviously, driver thought clear.
Now, how did we get here?

I've been warning for years.
It's a classic safety pyramid scenario. This has been widely ignored and belittled.

We have many obtuse, deliberately obstinate folks(including mgmt) @ UPS.

Johney

It's a classic safety pyramid scenario. This has been widely ignored and belittled.

Unfortunately not the first one and likely not the last. People become lazy in doing their jobs and safety usually is the one part of the job they shouldn't. We have had two incidents around my area in the last two weeks involving drawbridge tenders not following safety procedures, one involved the death of a 79 year old lady the other damage to someones car. Just goes to show it's not just UPS.

quad decade guy

cell-phone procedure not followed ? driver error ?
A cell-phone may have been a factor. Shameful you are using a horrific death to smear me.

Driver error?

Well let's explore for a moment. Here, a procedure is to pull keys and hold out window. Ok. Driver stated he saw guard walk off. This is common. He "may" have interpreted that as all clear. The "system" is flawed in that every guard and driver scenario is a bit different. I NEVER have a guard take keys or come back to the cab. NEVER for at least 2 years. So, error? Debatable for sure.
When we had pull key hand guards keys....at least the truck could not be started and driven away. This procedure was abandoned during Covid still today. An error was made. Safety protocols ignored. Faulty equipment etc. Again, hand signals and interpretation of those signals is at the root of this tragedy.

The entire operation has become so lax, that it is literally much more dangerous than in my 40 years. Much more.

quad decade guy

quad decade guy

I'm guessing that this particular yard has an exit that is not where you enter that the driver didn't see the guy laying on the ground upon leaving?

Pretty much every day while inbounding or leaving I see drivers as soon as they pull up at a guard station and stop, their head is immediately buried in their phones. Any situation regardless of where, if an individual approaches the front, rear, side, window to speak to me, if I lose track of them for 1 second, that vehicle does not move until I visually verify they aren't near me. It's a shame a man lost his life while at his job, regardless of fault.
Correct. Out of view on opposite sides of a BIG building.....on a slow Sunday evening.

And to your other point. When UPS abandoned the pull-key procedure.....it introduced a nebulous system of uncertainty.

Package Stick

"Send it."
It doesn't matter about the key. Sounds to me from what over says happened is the driver didn't pull the brakes causing the truck to roll. Guard should've known if the brakes were pulled. When I shifted I had to open trailer doors. First thing I did before walking to rear of the trailer was check the seal control and ask the driver if his brakes are on. You'd be surprised how many guys I likey saved from roll a way. Never once took a set of keys.
I set my parking brake and the hand valve so they've got brake lights. I never couple or stand behind the rig, if I don't have brake lights.

I thought everyone did that lol.

Nope. I was smeared on response #3. And here we are. I reported a death. And here we are.

No, here you are on your soapbox...
Much more sinister than that.

All of our hubs here....have NO DISCIPLINE. I've said Wild West.

And again here...

Standing on the back of a dead man, just to say you were right......shameful.