Martinsville

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Wow..what happened to the number 44 car??? I have to deal with the FDX driver on Monday, he'll be rubbing their win in my face.

Leftinbuilding

I am a very casual NASCAR fan so maybe it's always been this way. Has Hamlins car always been FedEx Freight? I thought he was just plain ol FedEx. Not that it really matters........

Cementups

Box Monkey
.....and some races it is "ground". the cover the board. I wouldn't be suprised if you see "UPS freight" on Reuti's car one of these days.

I was only slightly bothered by todays race. I had Hamlin picked in my fantasy league and took him out to run Gordon instead. One plac wasn't a big deal. I still moved up to first in one of my leagues and stayed in 2nd in my other.

Off to Texas...............

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As stated in an earlier post I had Hamlin, Edwards and Franchitti in my Fantasy league. I won the week in my league. I did put in to replace Franchitti for Reitemann next week. BM

FAVREFAN

As stated in an earlier post I had Hamlin, Edwards and Franchitti in my Fantasy league. I won the week in my league. I did put in to replace Franchitti for Reitemann next week. BM
I'd take Montoya over Franchitti. He is slowly working his way up the standings. Franchitti needs a season under his belt. Montoya will make the chase this year.
Anybody watching the attendance/ratings die?

upsdude

I'd take Montoya over Franchitti. He is slowly working his way up the standings. Franchitti needs a season under his belt. Montoya will make the chase this year.
Anybody watching the attendance/ratings die?

M-Ville TV ratings came in equal to last years numbers. Fan attendance was an issue this year due to very cold temps and a day long mist in the air. The race was a sellout, not everyone went or stayed. I have a few friends that stayed home with fresh tickets in their pocket, too dang cold.

ups79

M-Ville TV ratings came in equal to last years numbers. Fan attendance was an issue this year due to very cold temps and a day long mist in the air. The race was a sellout, not everyone went or stayed. I have a few friends that stayed home with fresh tickets in their pocket, too dang cold.

You sound like you might work for nascar pr group. Come on, fan attendance at races has been declining over the last three years. Nascar might say it was a sell-out but don't believe it. A true nascar fan with a ticket in his hand is not going to be sitting at home watching a race on tv. Tell me, at what track have they added seating to in the last 3 years. Nascar, since RJ Reynolds left, has gone the way of IRL.

FAVREFAN

You sound like you might work for nascar pr group. Come on, fan attendance at races has been declining over the last three years. Nascar might say it was a sell-out but don't believe it. A true nascar fan with a ticket in his hand is not going to be sitting at home watching a race on tv. Tell me, at what track have they added seating to in the last 3 years. Nascar, since RJ Reynolds left, has gone the way of IRL.
All true. Statistics show Nascar is starting to fail. Tv ratings and attendance. Sponsors are drying up too. Nascar.com or espn won't give you the real numbers.

ups79

All true. Statistics show Nascar is starting to fail. Tv ratings and attendance. Sponsors are drying up too. Nascar.com or espn won't give you the real numbers.

Yes, and they seldom show you a clear shot at the people in the stands like they use to. Now the fans in the stands are usually a blur. You cannot tell me that they can blur out the stands but not the cars in the same shot. The older fans of nascar are leaving and nascar should not count on the new fans. Its like a fad to them. Soon they grow tired of a fad and move on to the next one. Get rid of the hollywood type of nascar we have seen in the last few years and go back to its roots. You will begin again to fill those empty seats. Or better yet, take a look at NHRA.

FAVREFAN

Any ideas as to the cause of this? Simple over saturation?
Many outlets are saying that the true/diehard fan is feeling disenfranchised. Nascar has gone too corporate, too into pleasing the sponsors, too many commercials. They have left markets/tracks that have been mainstays for fans to attend and gone to markets/tracks where they think they can get a bigger tv audience. In my opinion, and I am for this, foreign drivers and cars(Toyota) are contributing to it as well. Now that Toyota is starting to win, things will get worse. The strong southern supporters can't stand foreign cars/drivers. If they win, you lose those close minded fans. Also the analysts are mentioning the rediculous prices being charged for tickets now.

upsdude

Martinsville overnight TV Ratings same as 2007: NASCAR on Fox tallied a 4.9/10 yesterday for racing from Martinsville. Yesterday's 4.9/10 is flat with last year's Martinsville rating [4.9/11], but in this case that's good news given the dramatically tougher competition faced by this year's race. Yesterday's race came against a pair of NCAA Regional Finals, including the strong Davidson-Kansas game, while last year's race aired on the Final Four weekend and faced no NCAA basketball. By matching last year's rating, FOX maintains its streak of seven straight NASCAR events this year that have been at least flat with last year in the metered markets (this excludes the Fontana race because of rain). Los Angeles has emerged as the surprise market of the year for NASCAR. Yesterday's race earned a 2.8/7 in LA, a +65% gain over last year's 1.7/5. For the season-to-date, Sprint Cup racing on FOX is averaging a 6.2/12, including Fontana, a +5% bump over last season's 5.9/12.(Fox PR)(3-31-2008) Comment here

We’re talking about Martinsville, right? Martinsville was a sellout and has been for as long as I can remember. They used to hold back 1200 tickets for Sunday morning sales but I’m not sure they still do that. The temps were in the low 40’s, too dang cold to sit outside.

Nascar PR, hardly. Folks that know me know full well how critical I am of Nascar.

ups79

Martinsville overnight TV Ratings same as 2007: NASCAR on Fox tallied a 4.9/10 yesterday for racing from Martinsville. Yesterday's 4.9/10 is flat with last year's Martinsville rating [4.9/11], but in this case that's good news given the dramatically tougher competition faced by this year's race. Yesterday's race came against a pair of NCAA Regional Finals, including the strong Davidson-Kansas game, while last year's race aired on the Final Four weekend and faced no NCAA basketball. By matching last year's rating, FOX maintains its streak of seven straight NASCAR events this year that have been at least flat with last year in the metered markets (this excludes the Fontana race because of rain). Los Angeles has emerged as the surprise market of the year for NASCAR. Yesterday's race earned a 2.8/7 in LA, a +65% gain over last year's 1.7/5. For the season-to-date, Sprint Cup racing on FOX is averaging a 6.2/12, including Fontana, a +5% bump over last season's 5.9/12.(Fox PR)(3-31-2008) Comment here

We’re talking about Martinsville, right? Martinsville was a sellout and has been for as long as I can remember. They used to hold back 1200 tickets for Sunday morning sales but I’m not sure they still do that. The temps were in the low 40’s, too dang cold to sit outside.

Nascar PR, hardly. Folks that know me know full well how critical I am of Nascar.

You have voiced your opinion on the race being a sell out, as I have. I still contend true race fans who have purchased a ticket would not set at home and watch on tv no matter what the weather.

UPS Lifer

Showed some agressiveness also,haven't seen that in a while.

This has been my biggest peeve with DJ. I would rather see us run an aggressive race and get knocked out than sit back and let everyone pass. It brings back old memories to see the UPS shield at the front of the pack!

As far as the other discussion on NASCAR's future..... This is like everything else. When you start to get corporate America involved and are out to make the big bucks there is a purist reactive backlash that takes place. It is starting and will continue.

upsdude

As far as the other discussion on NASCAR's future..... This is like everything else. When you start to get corporate America involved and are out to make the big bucks there is a purist reactive backlash that takes place. It is starting and will continue.

I don’t disagree but I’m sick of folks laying all the blame on Nascar. Nascar like UPS is a business, businesses are supposed to grow, especially publicly traded businesses. Sponsors want exposure for their dollars, which brings TV. TV is also a business that needs a return on their investment, which brings commercials. The track owner needs a return on his investment, tickets prices. Fans want tickets, there are only so many seats. Track owner adds seats and the requirements that come along with them. Race teams want high purse payouts (the track owner is responsible for the purse), track owner sells more sponsorship and raises ticket prices.

Careful what you wish for. For years we wanted racing on TV, we got it. We wanted a track near (insert city name here). We got it. Someone has to pay for all that stuff, the fan.

It’s a vicious cycle that basically ends at the fans wallet. Many of the SMI (Speedway Motorsports Inc) owned tracks (That’s Bruton Smith’s operation) require the “Season Ticket” holder to buy tickets to every race held at the facility. Not an Open Wheel Fan? Too bad, you bought tickets. Didn’t want to catch the Nationwide or Truck race? Too bad, you bought tickets.

I do believe that many fans have lost interest in Cup racing, I’m one of them. I have a Nascar license in my wallet that gives me free entry into any Nascar event. I’d rather spend my time at a local short track where guys and gals race for the thrill not the money.