Mashers

Lobofan5

Mashers is an old term, goes back to the gladiator days. Back then if you had the largest chariot in the arena it was called 'the masher'..the name has just kind of stuck for the package cars.

Just kidding, I don't have a clue.:lol:

over9five

Staff member
"Just kidding, I don't have a clue."

LOL, that was great! You had me going there!

I'm with Cementups, tho, I've never heard the term "masher'.

Leftinbuilding

Never heard of it either. Does anyone else refer to the 24 ft container trucks as the 'Hun"? Maybe that's only local.

BTW Lobo, I fell for it too. You would be good at "Malarky".

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Never heard of it either. Does anyone else refer to the 24 ft container trucks as the 'Hun"? Maybe that's only local.

When I first started driving, it was an old Ford tiltcab 24 footer that had a funny looking air dam mounted over the cab. It was a Feeder Department hand-me-down. City van 40003 was nick-named "Darth Vader".

JustTired

free at last.......
Makes sense to me. After they load all the over 70s on top of everything else, the pkgs on the bottom look like they went through the "masher".

swampy1

Package cars get called all kinds of things, just depends on the part of the country you live in. We call 24 footers "pigs" Who would have thunk it!

Big Babooba

When I first started driving, it was an old Ford tiltcab 24 footer that had a funny looking air dam mounted over the cab. It was a Feeder Department hand-me-down. City van 40003 was nick-named "Darth Vader".
We had two of those old Ford C 600 tilt cabs.They were hand-me-downs from the NYC furniture operation.