Mechanic considering Ups currently with FedEx Express

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Good morning. I’m a FedEx mechanic looking at going to work for UPS with this merger going on here. I’m really unsure what to do and was hoping to get some information from some of you. Hopefully a couple of mechanics to know what to expect. Thanks

Depending on where you are it's either IAM or teamster union. Either way it's a two year progression, starting pay is like 32 or 33 a hour now or so, we are all full time no part time in automotive, Top rate is 42.13 in my local... health insurance is free and really good. Both have pension, some IAM locals have an annuity as well.

As far as the job goes, it's not bad once you stop caring about their numbers, you will probably work on package cars and may spend your whole career on them unless you work in a larger hub with tractors and shifters. Just remember steady safe pace and dont have stuff fall off you just put on, they can not discipline you for not making their targets...

I will warn you, if you cant stand stupid dont come here, you will swear that management is trying to sink the company. In most buildings OPS will be in your way and make your job difficult. Unlike a retail repair shop we are an afterthought in a buisness that has no idea how to run a truck repair buisness, I literally had a automotive division manager tell me we are a package delivery buisness not a auto repair shop and they have no interest in making a efficient workspace for us.

One positive thing is we have a lot of autonomy here, far more than any other mechanic job I know of. For the most part we look at what our fleet needs and do it in the order we want, we look up and order our own parts and pretty much work unsupervised, your expected to manage your own fleet, some guys dont like that and want a more structured environment where a sup tells them what to do and in what order.

Last edited:

Mateo

I guess most of the mechanics work nights? I was interviewed and told that if I wanted to move locations later I would have to quit my job and start over. Is that correct? I was hoping to move to a closer center possibly a better shift if it opened up.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yes, most of the mechanics work nights. It would be hard to impossible to start on days. Maybe second shift.

Transfers depend on the agreement the local has with the company. In the IAM 447 you can transfer to any shop in the district. Some locals you have to quit and get rehired

Cementups

Box Monkey
I guess most of the mechanics work nights? I was interviewed and told that if I wanted to move locations later I would have to quit my job and start over. Is that correct? I was hoping to move to a closer center possibly a better shift if it opened up.
Just do it.

And not all of them work nights. Some actually prefer it. But there a few newer guys who work days. At least in a big hub like I am in.

qdg2

Yes, most of the mechanics work nights. It would be hard to impossible to start on days. Maybe second shift.

Transfers depend on the agreement the local has with the company. In the IAM 447 you can transfer to any shop in the district. Some locals you have to quit and get rehired
Don't forget about "change of ops"......

They can destroy just about any sweet gig. If new, I'd hold off "getting settled"(say buying a house and such) until at least the new contract stuff plays out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Don't forget about "change of ops"......

They can destroy just about any sweet gig. If new, I'd hold off "getting settled"(say buying a house and such) until at least the new contract stuff plays out.

And here comes “Debbie Downer” right on cue spreading her doom and gloom all over the BC