Metal Detectors

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was wondering if all hubs/centers have metal detectors, or is it just because I work in Los Angeles?
We have had them for years.
But since UPS only hires the CHEAPEST guards available, persons are always setting them off but the guards could careless.

browniehound

I find them useless and annoying. I find them useless because the guard just goes through the motions. We walk through and it always goes off. He then wands us and it never goes off:dead:.

Even if it does beep, the guard never looks for anything and doesn't even know what he is looking for. Also, last time I checked, not every package or valuable package (controlled substances) has metal in them, so the metal detector is rendered useless in this case.

I find them annoying because its 730 pm and I just want to leave, go home, and eat supper. Instead I'm stuck in line at the metal detector that doesn't serve any purpose. If somebody wants to steal from UPS, the guards at the guardshack will not affect the outcome of the theft positively or negatively.

The cameras at the "shack" are good because UPS has a record of who enters and leaves but this is about it.

UPS would be better off frisking us instead of the wand! It would be more effective and quicker. I vote we do it:wink2:

drewed

Shankman
At the airports its a TSA thing clean in clean out, they're there for preventing knives and whatnot that potentially could be used to hijack a plane (open ramps) just as much as for making sure things arent stolen.

LLTailor

I brought in a Quaker Oat's granola bar to snack on and this was my 3rd time to bring it along and *Beep* *Beep* the lady had the wand to my pocket and I had take it out and show it to her. The lady explained to me that always sets off the censors due to the reflective or metal foil...Terrorist plot foiled!

browniehound

. If I wanted to steal something from UPS it would be in a DR bag under a bush at the end of a road on top of a mountain at the ass end of my route. At some point if you are going to pay a guy $70K a year to drive your $30K truck with God knows how much merchandise in it, you simply have to trust him.

Sober,
You took the words out of my brain.

I think UPS understands we can steal their stuff. I understand I can steal their stuff and probably get away with it. For a while. Eventually you will be caught and sent to jail. I think 99 % of employees are smart enough understand this.

The thinking is I can make 70K every year that I'm honest and support my family through retirement or I can stash 10 laptops and whatever swag I can detect in a barn on my route to make a quick $5,000.

I then get caught and my family starves while I'm lucky enough to be celled with an inmate who believes in "courtesy flushes" :sick:. I will never get hired by a legit company again because I became a theif.

Its simply not worth it, but there are the idiots that still do it. UPS knows this and is vigilant about it. They are not going to catch these theives walking through the metal detector however. This frustrates me even more.

Waste of time and electricty.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The reality of theft at UPS is that anyone who is smart enough can get away with it....once.

The thing is, though, that someone who is stupid or desperate enough to risk a career by stealing isnt just going to do it "once."

Such a person has a problem...drugs, gambling, whatever. If they get away with it once, they are going to do it again. And they will get caught.

The frustrating part is that it is impossible for me to take UPS's "clean-in/clean-out" loss prevention program seriously, because UPS doesnt take it seriously. It is a joke. It is a waste of my time. It serves no real purpose other than to provide a warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment to the imbecile that wrote the memo to implement it.

We have a "guard shack" that is little more than an oversized broom closet. The walls and doors are made of metal, which renders the detector useless. It is staffed by unarmed, minimum-wage earning high school dropouts who get tired of the constant screeching and beeping every time the door is opened. So they turn the sensitivity down, to the point where you can walk thru with keys, cellphone, or whatever without setting it off.

UPS---if you want me to take your program seriously, then take it seriously yourself. Build a real guard shack. Get a functioning metal detector. Hire competent professionals to operate it. Establish a system that balances your need for security with the rights of honest employees to get in to work on time or to go home without being unreasonably delayed. Until you are willing to do that...and we all know you wont be...quit wasting my time and harassing me when I am off the clock and just trying to go home.