Methods...Squaring up b4 Closing Bulkhead,Mirrors Etc ?

10 point

Tucking the mirror in makes no sense, unless you can explain to me how to return it safely and efficiently upon returning to the package car?
End of range motion. Losing a hand or arm on a busy street is a great trade off?

The brilliant idea of putting the key lock boxes on the floor by the drivers side door was a classic too.

Squaring your butt to the oncoming traffic in the dark while punching black buttons on a black box on the floor to get keys out should be demonstrated by the supe during your safety ride.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

End of range motion. Losing a hand or arm on a busy street is a great trade off?

The brilliant idea of putting the key lock boxes on the floor by the drivers side door was a classic too.

Squaring your butt to the oncoming traffic in the dark while punching black buttons on a black box on the floor to get keys out should be demonstrated by the supe during your safety ride.

Our key lock boxes are installed above the documents pouch over the jump seat.

10 point

...by doing the reverse of what you did when you tucked it in...
End of range motion and for those with country metro hybrid routes it causes the mirror pivots to loosen and wear down so that the wind blows them in against the cab creating a real safety problem.
Our key lock boxes are installed above the documents pouch over the jump seat.
Ours had to be moved up by the pouch at eye level. No one thought this thru very well because the mechanic said he was mandated to bolt them onto the floor.

We addressed that with the chsp personnel and they had to shoot pics of the unsafe and vulnerable position it put drivers into with them on the floor to get them to relocate them.

10 point

Depends on the make and model of the package car.
And if they were purchased long after the boxes/fobs appeared.
...so, if the mirror is in jeopardy of being struck while away from the truck, how do insure that it is clear to return to the outward position without putting your arm and hand in harms way?
One of our drivers reached out and pulled the mirror back out on a busy two lane road in town and a dump truck ripped it off seconds after he let go of it. Too bad the on car wasn't driving.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
End of range motion and for those with country metro hybrid routes it causes the mirror pivots to loosen and wear down so that the wind blows them in against the cab creating a real safety problem.
It's a ridiculous practice that shows where the company's true priorities lie.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I will not tuck in my mirror. Not important enough to me. Plus not sticking my arm in harms way.

It is easier on your shoulder to square up to the door. I also hope you follow Orion stop for stop. Great dispatch tool. Cant be wrong if you follow their plan. Right!?? Play the game you will work less

10 point

It's a ridiculous practice that shows where the company's true priorities lie.
It's always our fault anyway.
You really lose hope when the supes take the wheel for their 30 min window time on the yearly safety time. One drove over a curb, thru the yard, and almost took out a stop sign one night when my last stop was finished and he decided to drive. Scared the crap out of me. I have no clue how he missed that stop sign.

It would be better to have a 50 IQ when you get hired there or be on thorazine. "Normal" was left behind years ago.

The 20 mins break after PCM was a perfect reaction to them. Don't you old timer get an additional 10-15 break as well? Wondering if you could combine them.
no extra break....1 hour but it can be split up as I mentioned. I do get a +10 minute pay addition daily.....so my 9.5 is actually 1 hour 20 minutes not a true 1 hour 30 which makes my window even tighter for them when I file for the 9.5 list.
Are you in 804?
That story sounds familiar...
No 177

To the OP----I don't know if it is in the 340 or not but squaring up to the bulkhead door does make sense as it is much easier on your right shoulder.

Is the dollar difference between leaving at 55 or at 58 enough to make you want to put up with this crap for another three years?
True on the shoulder issue but just wondering if it's something they can actually write you up for....my door is very easy to close in the method that I use.
I'm weighing my options now on when it would be most beneficial to retire @55 I will have 23 FT years and would only be missing 2 for max pension.
With 27 years in the OP shouldn't be worrying about ANYTHING.
I usually don't but the frequency is now starting to wear on me....I know that's exactly what they want.
Squaring up on the door is definitely more safe for our bodies. If this was something I was observed on and told to change I'd make sure I do it forever ever after.

Tucking in the mirror is not a requirement to work at United parcel in my local though.
Actually they have given me a pass on the mirror tucking since I have one of the older diesels that requires a longer reach and doesn't stick out nearly as far as the newer trucks either.
27 years and you don't know how to play the game?

Brush it off or file for harassment.
Like I said above, it's just how frequent and frivolous it's become.
I never used to take my job home with me....once I punched out I would forget about UPS.
I didn't even know about this site until recently....that's how detached from work I was when I went home. They are admittedly starting to get to me and now I am standing my ground and doing things I know they don't want such as signing up for 9.5 list,taking the 20 minute break during crucial next day air time. I'm also going to tell them via diad that I will no longer be accepting work related phone calls on my personal cell phone unless they start paying my phone bills. All messages will have to be done through diad.
It's sad that after 27 years of service and busting :censored2:.....you still get no respect.
Sounds to me like they're nickle-diming you. To close my door takes a simple flick of the wrist. No exertion needed. . If that's all they could come up with on an observation then you must be a good methods driver. Typical ticky-tack grade school BS.
They also said I didn't look down while stepping out of package car....I told em BS, just because my chin isn't touching my chest doesn't mean my eyes aren't looking down.
They also said I am over the 18 second rule on several stops retrieving pkgs. They are stretching for anything they can possibly think of.

Tucking the mirror in makes no sense, unless you can explain to me how to return it safely and efficiently upon returning to the package car?

...so, if the mirror is in jeopardy of being struck while away from the truck, how do insure that it is clear to return to the outward position without putting your arm and hand in harms way?
I was told by our steward that the proper way that was agreed upon is to actually walk back behind the vehicle and fold mirror back and then walk back around to passenger side and enter vehicle. If everyone did that, they'd be dropping the tucking mirror rule immediately.
I also agree it's a very stupid rule for a couple reasons....IMO a tucked in mirror actually invites traffic closer to the UPS vehicle itself rather than if an oncoming vehicle saw a mirror sticking out 6 inches where they would tend to veer away more. Especially when the mirror is at eye level to an oncoming truck or SUV.
Unfortunately.....I think it's only a matter of time before someone loses an arm that wakes UPS up from this asinine procedure and I hope they sue the hell out of them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was told by our steward that the proper way that was agreed upon is to actually walk back behind the vehicle and fold mirror back and then walk back around to passenger side and enter vehicle. If everyone did that, they'd be dropping the tucking mirror rule immediately.
I would love to see that in writing, sounds lucrative.

They have always told me that you need to look back over your left shoulder from the drivers seat to clear traffic before returning the mirror to the out position, which only gives you a view back to about as far as your bumper and is far from adequate to reasonably "clear" the two lanes in play.

I'm not doing it and invite the discipline.

oldngray

nowhere special

They have always told me that you need to look back over your left shoulder from the drivers seat to clear traffic before returning the mirror to the out position, which only gives you a view back to about as far as your bumper and is far from adequate to reasonably "clear" the two lanes in play.

In my center the flavor of the week would be mirrors periodically. They would say everyone had to tuck in mirrors at every stop. My response would be "Where is that in the methods?" and "What is the time allowance for doing that?".

All it really was about was setting up a situation where they could charge drivers for hit while parked if they didn't fold in their mirrors. A couple of drivers won grievances over it when the stupidity went too far.

10 point

If you are short you cannot see the bumper or the blind spot without sticking your head out of the package car. Is that what they want? Bodily injury?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

I never pulling in the driver's side mirror.

Ever.

It's just not worth my left arm.

They can mark me on the yearly safety ride every year as long as I am there, I am not changing that.

So, you can take one of your breaks before you even leave the building?

Here it is directly from our agreement:

"A driver will be allowed twenty(20) minutes for breakfast and forty(40)minutes for lunch for each day worked. This time will not be counted as time worked by such driver. The time for breakfast must be taken within the first hour after leaving the center in the morning. The time for lunch must be taken and completed within the hours of 12:00 and 3:00P.M."

It appears you have to leave the building, which is fine, I don't want to be anywhere near the mngnt. goons.
I am now driving to my route 10 minutes from building, doing 1 or 2 air stops ....then taking the 20 minute break.
I know this really irks them because I have a ton of air stops daily and barely made them when I wasn't taking the 20 minutes. Now it's been a chore each morning for them to pawn my airs off.

barnyard

KTM rider
Folding the mirror in is an end range motion, it is pretty easy to argue against doing that. Not squaring up to the door when closing is a little harder to argue. I thought I heard back in November that shoulder injuries were the new #1. Squaring up to the door before closing is an easy way to prevent the new #1 injury (if I heard all that correctly.)

We had 2 guys in our center that would stop for coffee on their way to their routes in the morning. When I was a preloader, I stopped with them when I was on the way home. Nice way to start the day.