methods

02hawk

Pkg car.......,I know 3 pts of contact, aim high,etc,but i want ALL the methods.Company wants to discipline us,up to threatening our jobs for method violations.NO ONE from either party here wants to give up THE LIST.

trickpony1

The reason they won't give you the list is because they know there will be some drivers who will take all those methods to heart and, consequently, will take twice as long to do the job.
The company knows we take shortcuts and they look the other way until it suits their purpose.
I would document the date, time and any witnesses to management being asked for a list of those methods.

tieguy

Banned
The reason they won't give you the list is because they know there will be some drivers who will take all those methods to heart and, consequently, will take twice as long to do the job.
The company knows we take shortcuts and they look the other way until it suits their purpose.
I would document the date, time and any witnesses to management being asked for a list of those methods.

In fact the devious nature of management does not stop there. The reason that management won't give you a menu to Dennys is because they really do not want you to eat breakfast. You should also document any dates and times where you ask them for a Dennys menu.

canon

In fact the devious nature of management does not stop there. The reason that management won't give you a menu to Dennys is because they really do not want you to eat breakfast. You should also document any dates and times where you ask them for a Dennys menu.
No tie, trick is right. Time and time again, the company knows who the runners are, and how they cut corners etc. It wasn't until someone complained that one driver got fired for falsifying records. It wasn't until one driver got hurt that he received a warning letter for running. Quit pretending... u know what corners you cut and what documents you falsify to keep corporate happy. If it was an isolated incident, people would say so. It's the opposite, we know it happens.

Show an ounce of integrity and admit it.

tieguy

Banned
No tie, trick is right. Time and time again, the company knows who the runners are, and how they cut corners etc. It wasn't until someone complained that one driver got fired for falsifying records. It wasn't until one driver got hurt that he received a warning letter for running. Quit pretending... u know what corners you cut and what documents you falsify to keep corporate happy. If it was an isolated incident, people would say so. It's the opposite, we know it happens.

Show an ounce of integrity and admit it.

Canon what I generally find is that those drivers who are lazy and don't carry their weight tend to use nicknames like runner or rabbit for those upsers who do bust their but and do the job. Perhaps you could show an ounce of integrity and admit that point to be true?

canon

Canon what I generally find is that those drivers who are lazy and don't carry their weight tend to use nicknames like runner or rabbit for those upsers who do bust their but and do the job. Perhaps you could show an ounce of integrity and admit that point to be true?
No, the people who "run" are called runners. They literally "run" to the stop to reduce time... in complete violation of proper safety methods. The term "lazy" is generally used by mediocre management people who rely on runners to keep their job afloat.

There's a difference between people who "bust their butt" and people who adhere to the company's strict policy on safety. I would probably work faster if not for safety training and be one of those you consider to be a hard worker... but it would not be as safe as I work now. We just saw in another thread where the steward and center manager were following drivers. One driver got in trouble for running to the stop.

Tie, are you saying people should run? You dodged the question again... are you one of those management people who falsify documents to keep corporate happy?

Edit: Just so you know, in 14 years i've never been injured... but i've had plenty of over allowed days. Which do you consider to be more important?

A

Another driver

You know, I think the 340 methods were printed on a red card that was distributed eons ago. I found it a couple of months ago and wondered why UPS would even distribute something like that that would obviously take so long to do before you started out in the morning. I don't know if it's 340 methods, but it takes up both sides of a triple folded piece of paper.

DS

Fenderbender
Ive been driving for 15 years,what are the 340 methods?:crying: Ive asked,no one here wants to give answers............
Ok we`re all professionals here,lets see if collectively,we can come up with all 340 of them.I wouldn`t be surprised if a few may be either changed,or redundant with the introduction of the diad,but heck,lets give it a shot!
I`ll start with 10
1-engage the handbrake at a red light, car in neutral,foot on brake.
2-look left right left when approaching intersections
3-carry keys either on your finger,or in your pocket
4-never gear down,brake until car almost stalls
5-slide packages forward on the shelf every few stops
6-avoid blind side backing,when in doubt,get out
7-honk you horn when approaching blind corners
8-always make contact at a pickup,no flag stops
9-at a resi,put on 4ways,honk horn,car in 1st,select the pkg
10-always use your handrail

trickpony1

DS-
I have a question about number 4 and 6.
Number 4-feeders are taught to gear down. I think the logic is because, with all that weight, your brakes may heat up and fade. I suppose a heavily loaded pkg car could experience brake fade also.
Number 6-when I took feeder school we were told to avoid blindside backing at all costs. There is a frequent management poster that seems to pride himself in his parallel parking of a feeder which would involve severe blindslide backing. He has yet to answer the question of "why would anyone parallel park a feeder?" I am assuming the door on his trailers are on the back, so why would one parallel park?
I would welcome constructive answers. The "mightier than thou" folks don't need to respond.

satellitedriver

Chapter 3 of Volume 40.
Every action of all employees from lowest to high was/ is written down on how and when to take said action. I had to laugh when it stated when I should put my pen in my pocket on my walk back to the truck. Take key off of left small finger and place in right hand. While sitting down aim key and insert into ignition. At the same time with your left hand apply the seat belt. Start vehicle and while you return your left arm take off the parking brake. Look over your left shoulder and clear the area.Check both mirrors. Then take off. The time allowance given to do this back in 1986 from the time your hand touched the truck and the truck was in motion was 8 seconds.
No freakin wonder it took an entire chapter.
I have no idea what the other chapters or volumes contain.
I think I still have the manual from 1986 in my files. If I find it I will share some of the wisdom enclosed, unless it contains classified info. Like when you can or cannot go to the bathroom.

tieguy

Banned
DS-
I have a question about number 4 and 6.
Number 4-feeders are taught to gear down. I think the logic is because, with all that weight, your brakes may heat up and fade. I suppose a heavily loaded pkg car could experience brake fade also.
Number 6-when I took feeder school we were told to avoid blindside backing at all costs. There is a frequent management poster that seems to pride himself in his parallel parking of a feeder which would involve severe blindslide backing. He has yet to answer the question of "why would anyone parallel park a feeder?" I am assuming the door on his trailers are on the back, so why would one parallel park?
I would welcome constructive answers. The "mightier than thou" folks don't need to respond.

I know I won't answer that question already did so about 5 times.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Ive been driving for 15 years,what are the 340 methods?:crying: Ive asked,no one here wants to give answers............

The "340 Methods" is a manual that Industrial Engineering came out with. It goes step by step about how an employee does their job. I haven't seen one in a long time, but it is very thorough. In my 31 years, I have never seen a Package Driver do a complete Pretrip like it describes............

satellitedriver

Found it.
Section 340 Methods Description
Jan 1, 1983
Scratch is right. No one does the pretrip completely.
There are 31 steps needed to complete a pretrip.
Maybe I should start a thread to see how many even know what to check?