Mgmt on Disability

airops

Anyone been on disability or know a mgmt person that has gone on disability? The days of the company taking care of you are over. Your pay gets cut, you lose your health benefits, and you get to deal with an outside company. Is this really how we treat our partners? Work as many hours that UPS wants and you get the same salary. Be unable to work and we through you to the wolves.

Returntosender

Well a fews year ago, the part-time sup gave a pcm and told us our fulltime supervisor went out on mental stress leave. Fulltimer never came back. Seen fulltimer at mall ask sup what happened? Response was UPS and sup decided to part ways.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
WTF? Is this a question or a rant? Every mgmt person probably knows someone in mgmt that has gone on disability (assuming they have been around for a while). Your pay does not get cut and you don't lose your health benefits. If you're talking about the company that manages your disability pay, you still get it. Quit your whining!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
WTF? Is this a question or a rant? Every mgmt person probably knows someone in mgmt that has gone on disability (assuming they have been around for a while). Your pay does not get cut and you don't lose your health benefits. If you're talking about the company that manages your disability pay, you still get it. Quit your whining!!!

Your pay does not get cut for the first couple of months ... after that, it goes to 60% until one year and if you have not returned by then, you are terminated.
You keep your health benefits but it has to be reviewed monthly whether it continues ... usually does but not always.
MetLife manages your disability pay, healthcare and reviews.
It is not a fun time nor reassuring time. UPS ain't your daddy and one understands that even more clearly.

Still much better than most companies.

BrownTie

What I have seen from Management who have gone on Dis. for a while usually comes back doing staff position jobs(HR, IE, Orion), if they are not able to continue their Operational Position.

Yankfan

It depends on the length of your disability. We had a mgmt person go out with Cancer. He was out a long time. Eventually he was collecting NOTHING from the disability company. His cancer was terminal and once he lost his health benefits his family was forced to tap their savings for his treatment. We were taking collections for his family for Christmas money. He died deep in debt. To add to the saddness UPS refuses to pay any of his accumulated pension to his beneficiaries stating that he didn't technically retire. He had been with the company since 1987. Don't think for one minute that UPS remotely has your well being or that of your family in mind anymore ( unless you sit on the BOD). This was a special company once but not now. Call this a rant if you wish but if so, it is a well deserved one. Those are the facts. Sorry about the "whining".

airops

Once you go on disability you get your next check as normal. Them your benefits switch to cobra and your pay is decreased.

BrownSuit

While out on Short Term Disability, you continue to get paid, but not through UPS, it is paid through the insurance company (Aetna). Aetna ultimately decides what is approved and payment from my experience does not occur until Aetna has approved the claim. if you hear somebody say they got no pay, this comes from a disability claim that was not approved. (Note that this is a change in the process as previously UPS would pay all claims directly, including denied claims). People are quick to tell you that the man is trying to get one over and times have changed, but slow to take responsibility. Ask yourself, would you really want the company to pay denied claims? There is also an appeal process that is rather generous with several opportunities to appeal if your claim is initially denied.

The employee has to pay for all of their normal payroll deductions at the normal levels, as this is not deducted from the check from Aetna as it normally is directly from UPS. In the case where your claim is not approved, this is all out-of-pocket. This includes Insurance, 401 (k), United Way, UPS PAC, and insurance if you have payroll deductions through MET Life.

One poster referenced a new job, the company is not required to hold the exact same job, simply a like or similar job in position, pay, etc. Each HR Group has established policies about how long before this happens based on business needs and accommodation of the employee.

I think the cases referenced here are in the case of Long-Term Disability, which one poster referenced an administrative discharge after one-year period.

In the case of Long-Term disability is when your pay is cut, the percent varies based on what the employee selected in their insurance each year. The default option is 60% of your base pay for 5 years. There is additional insurance provided for income other than base pay.

Hope this clarifies some of the rumor mill, the disability benefits provided are very generous for management level employees.

BrownTie

So that's how you get that job...thanks for the tip.

Dragon, I'm pretty sure you have seen this before. These were based on 2 Supervisors and 1 Manager that went on Dis. Due to illness and or accident(outside UPS). 2 were not able to pass DOT and were assign to HR and Safety, the other one is with the Orion team. During peak, they help out to become helper coordinators.

trickpony1

Dragon, I'm pretty sure you have seen this before. These were based on 2 Supervisors and 1 Manager that went on Dis. Due to illness and or accident(outside UPS). 2 were not able to pass DOT and were assign to HR and Safety, the other one is with the Orion team. During peak, they help out to become helper coordinators.

So............
The company will accomadate management but not the hourly?
.....and, no, I don't want to hear the crap about how the union won't let the company accomadate the hourlies that need it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had several hourlies accommodated in my facility. One was out of work for an extended period of time (at least a year, maybe closer to two) and he was allowed to bid on a 22.3 position when he returned. The other had a bad habit of hitting things while driving (3 accidents in a year, one Tier III) so the company and union worked out a deal and created a 22.3 position for her. It is hers until she retires, no one else is allowed to bid on it and it will be abolished when she leaves.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So............
The company will accomadate management but not the hourly?
.....and, no, I don't want to hear the crap about how the union won't let the company accomadate the hourlies that need it.

I love Double Standards!

Seriously, I have seen more hourlies accommodated than management ... granted there are 10 times the number of hourly than management.
No doubt that the Teamsters helped to work out those accommodations for the hourlie.

Also, if one looks at the feeder bidding & route bidding system, that is analogous to what is being done with management.
Drivers, if they have the seniority, bid on easier less stressful areas as they get older.
In that respect, the drivers get accommodated at a much higher percentage and numbers than does management.

And note that the Union is actively involved in accommodating hourlies per your constraint.