Military Service

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
3 full rows. I was forward deployed so we were involved in every little back page news skirmish relief effort there was.

But we are talking GI Bill and education money. What does Ohio do for Active duty people? Some states like Oklahoma and Texas give free state school tuition. There has to be something to offset what the reservists get

I don't run the programs, I am telling you what I receive.

Edit: Looked at my virtual MPF because I don't have my ribbon bar up to date. I currently have 3 rows also...looks like the guard does the same amount if not more than active duty....

Last edited:

helenofcalifornia

Voice of Reason, there you go again. Dude, tone it down. You are pretty opinionated and sure of yourself on alot of subject matters. I defininately am NOT one of your "my drivers" for sure now. Sorry Toonertoo, VOR is whack in spewing his opinions, and I won't try and make excuses for him anymore. I can't believe you went off on the Reserve.

rngri4

It still does not make sense to pay part-timers more than full-timers

Where was that ever stated....check the links...then check back again...you still haven't provided a valid argument as of yet. You are saying all of this, but never once have you stated you checked the links, and you were wrong, or whatever.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Where was that ever stated....check the links...then check back again...you still haven't provided a valid argument as of yet. You are saying all of this, but never once have you stated you checked the links, and you were wrong, or whatever.

He had me pegged at about 50 grand and himself a part-timer at 50 grand + whatever the state of Ohio is handing out.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I never see the money that the school gets for my tuition. That's handled seperately.

It still sounds like double dipping but it is what it is. I haven't met 2 people on GI Bill or the likes that are getting the same amount of money, lots of variable and kickers in there and apparently state run programs also.

area43

I read this thread, I was a bc member at the time, but not an active member. I know for one thing, The "voice of reason"guy is sure one of the biggest idiots on this site. Reread this thread, he really pisses me off.

tieguy

Banned
Can you document any of this? How many actual suicide attempts? How much of a percentage increase was it over suicide attempts in the previous quarter? What does the Navy have to say about the root causes, if indeed there actually was an increase?

Define "medical malingering" for us (I know what it means, not everyone on this board has served in the military though). How were you in a position to know that it increased post september11th, I thought you were a firecontrolman, not a corpsman? Or did you just spend a lot time hanging around sickbay?

You are basically slandering tens of thousands of reservists who volunteered to serve their country, so I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not just going to take the word of some guy who answers phones for UPS.

I don't doubt there may be some truth to what voice says. I know from my own experiences that there were and are a lot of good reservist many with years of experience. There were also a lot of reservist who were shocked that they were deployed active. They somehow thought they were immune to being deployed.

area43

I don't doubt there may be some truth to what voice says. I know from my own experiences that there were and are a lot of good reservist many with years of experience. There were also a lot of reservist who were shocked that they were deployed active. They somehow thought they were immune to being deployed.
Tie, theres a tactful,respectful way to make your point clear and he(voice of reason) failed to do so. I can go on and on and attack him personally, but whats the point. Tie, as far as the reservist being shocked and immuned, where do you get your info to assume this, could it be from the liberal media. Do you sterotype a whole group of people based on a few shocked individuals interviewed by the news. If you recall the reservist, were called up during a time of war. In this case both reservist and active were shocked to be deployed or activated. Before the 91 Gulf war the last real major conlict was vietnam(we all were complacent). Ill just tell you this tie, Our company of Marine corp Combat Engineers were ready. I would never put down or criticize the active duty members. Siemper Fi.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, theres a tactful,respectful way to make your point clear and he(voice of reason) failed to do so. I can go on and on and attack him personally, but whats the point. Tie, as far as the reservist being shocked and immuned, where do you get your info to assume this, could it be from the liberal media. Do you sterotype a whole group of people based on a few shocked individuals interviewed by the news. If you recall the reservist, were called up during a time of war. In this case both reservist and active were shocked to be deployed or activated. Before the 91 Gulf war the last real major conlict was vietnam(we all were complacent). Ill just tell you this tie, Our company of Marine corp Combat Engineers were ready. I would never put down or criticize the active duty members. Siemper Fi.

This type of argument comes more so from personal experience. I don't know if there a lot of polls out there that define the professionalism and readiness of reserve units. From what I've seen there are some that are very gung ho. Many of these have ex combat vets in them that know what it takes to do the job. You also have some that were not ready or that had members that thought they had a government job to get them through college not a real combat job. I have seen both when I was in and through others I know through friends or coworkers that I could reasonably guess were not up to snuff. Thirty years ago when I was in my opinion was that many of the reserve type units were not ready for combat. I would imagine that has changed for the better with the increased use of reserve units in combat. I would never put my observations out there as a blanket statement on all units. As a medic I did have the chance to assist these units on their annual training. I would only speak on what I personally saw good and bad.

Voice of Reasons points are a little overboard and will be somewhat biased because we all thought we were the baddest member of the baddest outfit when we served. :thumbup1: A little thing called esprit de corps I believe that helped us all motivate ourselves for the possible job ahead. At the same time he did serve so he is entitled to his opinion and the beating he is taking for sharing his opinion. :thumbup1:

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm one of the many Reservists (Air Force) at UPS and I just laugh when I read or hear that Reservists and Guardsman aren't prepared to do their jobs. It is just rediculous to me becuase what most people don't realize is that a good majority of them, including myself, were active duty before. Also, many of the jobs in the military (primarily the Air Force and Navy) have civilian counterparts. Meaning...someone can get out of the military and do the same job they were doing int he military. So, if a Reservist or Guardsman is called up for active duty they are often put in the position where they are actually more experienced with the job than the active duty people they get assigned to.

It seems like every other drill weekend our commander reads letters written by the active duty commanders of our people that were deployed and they all speak very highly of them. Just about everyone in my unit was prior service Army or Marines and a few were Air Force or Navy. There are VERY few that have no experience with their jobs whether it be on the active duty side or civilian.

With that said....the stereotyping of Reservist and Guardsman not looking as professional and not following military customs and courtesys (proper wear of the uniform, saluting, etc.) is true. Many reservists tend to be on the fatter side and aren't as physically fit. Not true for all but for many it is true. It's hard to be 100% when it's only two days a week and two weekends a year but when it's time to deploy a Reservist knows it's time to kick it into high gear.