MiSLoaDs

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Agreed. Don't you know you should be able to load every RDL bulk piece when all 30 of them come down the chute at the same time?

My sup worked one of my trucks to show me how fast I'm "supposed" to load and it looked like a herd of water buffalo ran through the back of the truck by the end of the shift.

Whenever our preload manager comes through and tells me to speed up i just kinda go "lol k dude" and continue working at my pace. If you pass your probation period and you're running around sweating your ass off in the middle of winter you're an absolute idiot

SubPop79

Your drivers were some lucky bastards. I could count on a shelf worth of daily misloads from seasonals.

I tell the seasonals to gtfo of my trailer. Jk. But seriously, you gotta know the sort and bring those misloads immediately to their intended truck, even during peak. Not scanning anything unfamiliar helps as well. Plausible deniability.

extranatty

You took three levels of calculus, but you work off the clock
Where are all these people pushing 250+ pph? Im around 180 on a great day. That's what that sheet says anyways. I wouldn't put it past them to lower that number to try and "motivate" us to go quicker.

I work on a main belt loading package cars. There are 35 trucks on this belt during off season. Say start time is 4:00, my staggered start time will be 4:10. I requested to be put at regular start time and was denied. However, packages start passing my car at 4:03 at a rate of between 150-350 PPH depending on the package Gods.

If I choose to not work until 4:10, I will only be making my job impossible, as I'll be too slow with packages already stacked up at the beginning of the day, leading to more stacking, lagging my work pace further and causing injuries. There is no extra help, our supervisor always sends too many people home and likes to work himself just to save a few hours. He takes the union fine everyday. My choosing to work 7 minutes off the clock everyday is like choosing to breathe air; not really a choice.

My PPH on the sheet is always 195-205. Pretty sure they just pick a number, but if I add up the pieces for my trucks and divide by the hours worked, it tells a different story. Half the days my PPH will be about 200 but the other half; 250-270. That's not including the fact that the load sheets are usually incomplete.

They have developed a system that will alert the loader that they are in the wrong package car. Just may not have rolled it out all over the country yet. Many of the preloaders are complaining about the time associated with scanning the package before loading it.

Yeah, of course UPS would want to use their existing system and overwork their employees. Still relying on bar codes and lasers.

I'm talking about essentially a precursor to a HUD, heads-up display, like Google Glass. The first version doesn't need to be a HUD, just a camera piece you wear that sees what you see while a program in the background is constantly attempting to read stickers on the packages you handle. You grab a box for 216, the camera/program reads a sticker for 216, you enter truck 215, and the device starts repeatedly screaming "Mis-load!" at you in your supervisor's voice. A piece of cake compared to self-driving cars.

Did you file a grievance on this supervisor for harassment? The contract states clearly that they must treat us with respect also

I complain and they fix it but nothing changes. The union is working for management. Another lovely thing this supervisor likes to do is have people work for a half hour, send them home, and put it in the system as 'LAYOFF' ie. no hours. He did it to me 8 times before I started documenting everything and checking the timecard myself. Now I show the new hires how to check and let everyone know when he sets a clock-out time for the entire belt. This supervisor was only demoted years ago for stealing hours when he should be in prison.

"Treat us with respect"... that's hilarious. It takes a special kind of masochist to work this job and I suppose that includes myself. 90% of our new hires quit in the first two days and I can't blame them. People are paid more to play on their phones.

Poop Head

Judge me.
My choosing to work 7 minutes off the clock everyday is like choosing to breathe air; not really a choice.
That's dumb. You're giving away 25-30 hours of pay over the course of a year! I'm sure you're not the only one doing this. Talk to your co-workers! Don't work off the clock, let :censored2: get crazy, work safe and file grieves! Also, if you don't "start" till 410, when is your PCM? Don't tell me your taking that off the clock too :nono:

watdaflock?

Management,
There are going to be misloads every single day. No loader is perfect. He or she is a human, not a robot. Deal with it. So both (FT & PT Sups) stop verbalizing us with the "Do you know how many misloads you had yesterday?" BS OK? Thanks.

Sincerely,
- UPS Loaders
How many did you have today? Did somebody get yelled at?

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I Dont care how much easier it is for you to come in earlier. Do not work for free.

Edit: maybe im lucky but I know my local and especially my steward would never let crap like this fly

extranatty

I really don't know what this means.

Whenever our preload manager comes through and tells me to speed up i just kinda go "lol k dude" and continue working at my pace. If you pass your probation period and you're running around sweating your ass off in the middle of winter you're an absolute idiot

If I don't speed up the blow-bys go over to the next guy who insists on running every blow-by back to me while his packages stack. Last time we were overwhelmed, the packages pushed up the ramp for the next belt and almost killed a guy when the ramp came crashing down as they removed the last package holding it up. He ducked his head literally just in time and quit 2 weeks later. So, whether out of UPS mind games or respect for coworkers, I do have to run around sweating my ass off.

That's dumb. You're giving away 25-30 hours of pay over the course of a year! I'm sure you're not the only one doing this. Talk to your co-workers! Don't work off the clock, let :censored2: get crazy, work safe and file grieves! Also, if you don't "start" till 410, when is your PCM? Don't tell me your taking that off the clock too :nono:

If I had to file a grievance for everytime I was forced unsafely, there'd be at least one a day. But you know how this job is, how every union job is, only exception is the pay is :censored2: for this one. PCM is whenever they like, off the clock or when I'm busy. Straight out of high school I was offered jobs that pay $60k starting but everyone in the family said 'go to college'; what a joke, what a mistake. Now I'm busting my ass for 1/6th of that. Thank God I know how to synthesize expensive drugs and sell them on the black market.

Ultimately, I've ended up driving two people w/ kids to work that need this job and that's why I continue, and probably why I'll end up working in hell forever. Which is fine, really, with the right drugs -- you get paid to get up early everyday and lift heavy :censored2:. If you use certain drugs, you'll end up healthier and gain 20 lbs of muscle.. like getting paid to workout. If you're natural, UPS will only wear you down and likely even make you fat thanks to the depression. Anyway, working for UPS is best as a front for something else.

Dr.Brownz

Management,
There are going to be misloads every single day. No loader is perfect. He or she is a human, not a robot. Deal with it. So both (FT & PT Sups) stop verbalizing us with the "Do you know how many misloads you had yesterday?" BS OK? Thanks.

Sincerely,
- UPS Loaders

Work at a slower pace and get the :censored2: in the right truck and the right shelf. We used to have driver sort and load here. We did it in half the time the preload now does and there were rarely if ever misloads as well as being loaded stop for stop

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
My favorite misloads are add/cut misloads you get blamed for. Usually around 8:15am someone from the preload office comes by with a long sheet with add/cuts that you're supposed to go looking for before driver start time. Most of the time they're send agains that I loaded three hours earlier and are neatly tucked away deep in the bowels of the PC.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I was wondering what the natty in your name meant.. have fun with trying to find your balls dude!! At least you have good insurance for when you start having heart attacks at age 30 ;)

UPS Preloader

It's also in violation of the contract and most state's labor laws. At 4:10 I would be at the time clock asking the supervisor where I'm working that day.